1051 users online (268 members and 783 guests)  

Websleuths News

New ancient source - in Guatemala - confirms Mayan 21 Dec 2012 'doomsday date'

UT expert: 'Doomsday date' is just Maya's new beginning (statesman.com)
    ---
    A University of Texas art history professor has deciphered a reference in Maya hieroglyphs to the so-called doomsday date of Dec. 21, 2012, and has found that there is no prediction about the end of time.

David Stuart, a UT professor of Mesoamerican art and writing, unlocked the meaning of hieroglyphs at an archaeological site in Guatemala. He said the hieroglyphs suggest that the 2012 reference was instead a bit of political spin on the part of a Maya ruler hoping to assuage his followers after he was defeated in battle.

The ruler said that the defeat was just part of a larger cycle of time, one that would end in 2012 after which another cycle would begin.
    ---
    more at Austin Statesman link above

Also more here, with pictures:

Second inscription carved into stone staircase confirms 'end date' of Mayan calendar - December 21, 2012 (Daily Mail)

Thank you, godot. This clears up something that has puzzled me ever since the Mayan calendar's ending in 2012 was first mentioned. My wall calendar has an end date, too, but nobody is going to suggest the world will end when my calendar does.

If the Mayans were so accurate at predicting the end of the world, why didn't they predict the end of their own civilization? I mean I know there are stil Mayans but I'm referring to the fall of their empire.
    'Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.' - Steven Tyler

Those carvings are beautiful.

Apocalypse not now: debunking Mayan doomsday predictions

Link

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
    A: The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012. Then these two fables were linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 -- hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
    A: Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.
    NASA debunks Mayan apocalypse myth

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    If the Mayans were so accurate at predicting the end of the world, why didn't they predict the end of their own civilization? I mean I know there are stil Mayans but I'm referring to the fall of their empire.
    Maybe they did. The last I heard we don't really know where they went or why (except for the smaller groups that remain, as you point out).

(ETA Sorry, I probably made this sound like more of a mystery than it is. In Professor Diamond's book, COLLAPSE, he presents the theory that the Maya left because of large-scale ecological failure. IIRC, they endured a series of droughts.)
    Last edited by Nova; 07-02-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Beautiful. And no, the world will not end on December 21, 2012.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941