Penn State Sandusky Trial #12 (GUILTY-post verdict discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod note: As the fallout from this case ripples on, some of you have suggested that we create a forum for discussion of JS and related cases. We are watching the ongoing developments and will let you know when a decision is made about this. For the time being, please keep up the good work you are doing in this thread. :tyou:

From the last thread, BigCat wrote:
That's why PSU admins. should have turned the info over to the proper authorities.

The '"proper authorities" were the PSU Police Department headed by Shultz. PSU has their own police department which is larger than the city's police department. PSU department doesn't report to the city's PD. The DA of that county had previously chosen to not prosecute Sandusky.

Someone should have reported this to the State Police which are controlled by governor, so....uh....forget that. Someone should have called the FBI.

Vitriolic piece by CBS Sports's Gregg Doyel following the CNN report:

Emails show Paterno legacy, Penn State officials should face reckoning
---
Paterno's statue outside Beaver Stadium has to come down, because otherwise Penn State would be celebrating a man who helped talk school officials into leaving Jerry Sandusky alone in 2001, letting an alleged pedophile escape detection for another decade, giving that alleged pedophile -- and it's not "alleged" anymore -- unfettered access to campus for another decade.

After the statue comes down, then what? Well, then his statue would be disposed of, possibly melted down into prison bars -- maybe the bars that will hold Sandusky. Or maybe someone could just toss Paterno's statue into a landfill, throw it away as easily as Paterno and his underlings threw away the lives of so many boys in their community.
---
much more at link above, w/link to the CNN story

Interesting two paragraphs at the very end of this article BBM:

Freeh’s investigators are also exploring the circumstances surrounding Paterno’s decision to eventually hire McQueary as an assistant coach, the person familiar with the investigation said. McQueary, a former quarterback for Paterno at Penn State, has testified under oath that when he first contacted Paterno to inform him of what he had seen in the showers, Paterno assumed he was calling to ask for a job, and that Paterno brusquely told him he would not be hired.

McQueary was ultimately hired over another, more experienced candidate, and investigators are curious about whether that development came as a consequence of what he told Paterno that morning in 2001.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/s...sandusky-e-mails-indicate.html?pagewanted=all

From the article. This is to me truly the most appalling part of the whole story and Doyel nails it:

"I am supportive," Spanier wrote in an email obtained by CNN. "The only downside for us if the message isn't heard and acted upon, and then we become vulnerable for not having reported it."

Read that again.

The only downside for us if the message isn't heard and acted upon is that we become vulnerable for not having reported it.

Never mind the downside of another boy -- or 10 more boys -- being molested by a pedophile. That wasn't the downside that scared Spanier. What scared Spanier? That Penn State, and Penn State officials, would be "vulnerable."

:furious:

Freeh’s investigators are also exploring the circumstances surrounding Paterno’s decision to eventually hire McQueary as an assistant coach, the person familiar with the investigation said. McQueary, a former quarterback for Paterno at Penn State, has testified under oath that when he first contacted Paterno to inform him of what he had seen in the showers, Paterno assumed he was calling to ask for a job, and that Paterno brusquely told him he would not be hired.

McQueary was ultimately hired over another, more experienced candidate, and investigators are curious about whether that development came as a consequence of what he told Paterno that morning in 2001.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/s...sandusky-e-mails-indicate.html?pagewanted=all

Here's another interesting tidbit from that same article:

"To that end, Freeh’s investigation has identified previously undisclosed billing records showing that officials of the university, when deciding what to do in 2001, consulted with the law firm that served as its outside counsel on their legal obligation to report the assault, the person familiar with the inquiry said. It is unclear from the billing records whether the officials disclosed the nature of the accusations against Sandusky or simply made a general inquiry. Several hours were billed, beginning on a Sunday night, the person said. The lawyer who represented the university at the time did not return a phone call requesting comment."

A poster on a PSU football message board passed along the above information earlier in the week, scooping the New York Times, which leads me to further suspect these leaks are coming from Freeh or persons within the university.

The question I have is -- did Curley and Schultz contact an attorney on the Sunday night after their initial meeting with Paterno?

If they were in CYA mode from the beginning, that might explain why it took them 10 days to meet with MM.

JMO

I really have no doubt that McQueary got that job to keep him quite. He may not think about it that way but I really think that's why he was hired. It is very curious.

I also don't believe Curley/Schultz were just given "vague" information from McQueary; I think they were straight out told or at the very least it was made clear something sexual happened, hence why they may have sought outside counsel. I mean if McQ only gave a vague statement to them, only said "horseplay", then I doubt they'd have discussed going to the proper authorities or talked about telling Sandusky to get help. They wouldn't have been freaking out over how it would get PSU into trouble. McQueary had to have been clear and rather specific.

I just hope Joe Pa didn't tell them to back off Sandusky, as is implied. All these people look so bad. So, so, so bad. How do they live with themselves? Even worse? How does Spanier think PSU's reputation being shredded is worse than more young boys being victimized by a predator? Sick. :/

I see that you were being polite by terming it "vitriolic," Woofie...

<respectfully snipped from link above>

"The civil suits are coming, and they probably will name Spanier along with Curley, Schultz, Paterno's estate and of course Penn State itself. Everyone should pay, but the first check must be written by Graham Spanier. It needs to have a one, followed by a lot of zeroes before he even thinks about writing the decimal. A million dollars? That's a start, but how much does he have? Sell his house. Raid his 401(k). Take the damn dentures out of his mouth and hawk them on eBay."

The stupid thing is, imo, that if they had just called LE and reported Sandusky from the start, it would have been over and done with, no huge taint of shame to take Penn. State down at all. Pathetic decisions all the way around.

Sandusky&#8217;s Body Language During and After Verdict Shows Shock and Fear
http://drlillianglass.com/body-lang...uring-and-after-verdict-shows-shock-and-fear/

I wonder if anyone here has done a psychological profile on Jerry Sandusky. My thinking is he is a narcissist with obsessive compulsive personality disorder.

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001938/

I think Sandusky is a Bureaucratic Compulsive.
http://www.millon.net/taxonomy/summary.htm

Sandusky is very controlling, intrusive, meddling, nosy, petty, and closed-minded. He has traits similar to Osama bin Laden, Lori Drew, and Casey Anthony (don't think she is obsessive compulsive).

Can anyone help me with this? How do you research how many people have the same name?

I'm trying to find out how many people have the name Gerald Arthur Sandusky.

And to find out where they live/have lived.

Many thanks for any help.

Can anyone help me with this? How do you research how many people have the same name?

I'm trying to find out how many people have the name Gerald Arthur Sandusky.

And to find out where they live/have lived.

Many thanks for any help.

Never mind. Someone is apparently filing prank lawsuits all over the country, listing GAS as a party:

"...The filing is similar to others filed in federal courts during the past two weeks in Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Wisconsin under such names as Jonathan Bollinger, Tom N. Jerry, Jonathan Paterno and Gino Romano."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...-sandusky-prank-filings-642483/#ixzz1zK3Q7yww

Must be someone with Histrionic Personality Disorder!

Gitana1 said:
"Don't you hate how Paterno describes it? "Sex between a man and a boy". Really? I have heard variations on the theme so many times in various cases. "We saw a man having sex with a child in a car." "The child was involved in a sexual relationship with the man."

Little kids can't have sexual relationship with adults. They are not having sex with adults. They are being molested, victimized, raped.

I know Paterno has passed away but were he alive I would tell him that there is no such thing as "sex" between a man and a boy. That's called child rape, buddy.

Funny how we never use those descriptors when it is a woman getting raped. I never hear anyone say, "I turned the corner and saw a man having sex with a woman." It's always, "I saw a man raping a woman."

So why are kids different? Why are kids deemed capable of having a "relationship" or "sexual intercourse" with their attacker/abuser?

Drives me crazy. Sorry for the rant.

Another CBS Sports story, this one by Dennis Dodd, discussing the NCAA's role in days to come:

Emmert, NCAA in position to send important message: Make Penn State pay
So now the NCAA is officially engaged in the Jerry Sandusky scandal. More than seven months after the sickening news broke, the central figure himself is in jail. There are civil suits still to be tried. And Penn State seems willing and ready to pay, lots.

But it's only now, today, that the NCAA becomes a central figure in the proceedings. In fact, the association is suddenly up to its Oxford-shirted armpits in the mess. The NCAA didn't have to get involved. Many were more than surprised when president Mark Emmert sent a sternly worded letter to Penn State's acting president on Nov. 17, 2011.

The letter seemed incredibly self-aggrandizing. The head of the country's most powerful amateur athletic body injected himself and his association into the story. But he did and now this rocket ride to hell has a whole new path, and the NCAA is carving it.
---
the rest at the link above

That article is interesting, because that is the first time I have seen Paterno's reply to McQueary's call described as "brusque". In reading about the conversation before, I always got the impression that the comment was made in teasing, as Paterno was known for.

Also, McQueary witnessed the sexual assault in 2001, and was hired as an assistant coach in 2004, after serving as a graduate assistant and then as an administrative assistant for the team in 2003. I'm not sure it is as "A leads to B" as this article suggests.

Here's the latest column from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports:

It is now perfectly reasonable to postulate that Joe Paterno protected Jerry Sandusky, who had been a Penn State assistant coach from 1969 until retiring in 1999. Sandusky went right along with his business of showering with boys in the locker room, of bringing kids to the sidelines during games, of sitting in the press/luxury box area of home games. Sandusky used the program's allure like a lollipop to draw kids into his van.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--joe-paterno-role-jerry-sandusky-coverup-grows.html

The simile in the last sentence is perfect.

Here's another interesting tidbit from that same article:

"To that end, Freeh’s investigation has identified previously undisclosed billing records showing that officials of the university, when deciding what to do in 2001, consulted with the law firm that served as its outside counsel on their legal obligation to report the assault, the person familiar with the inquiry said. It is unclear from the billing records whether the officials disclosed the nature of the accusations against Sandusky or simply made a general inquiry. Several hours were billed, beginning on a Sunday night, the person said. The lawyer who represented the university at the time did not return a phone call requesting comment."

A poster on a PSU football message board passed along the above information earlier in the week, scooping the New York Times, which leads me to further suspect these leaks are coming from Freeh or persons within the university.

The question I have is -- did Curley and Schultz contact an attorney on the Sunday night after their initial meeting with Paterno?
If they were in CYA mode from the beginning, that might explain why it took them 10 days to meet with MM.

JMO

And then we have 1998. :(

According to the GJ presentment, then-university counsel Wendell Courtney, who then and now (at time of the report) also worked for the 2nd Mile as counsel, was consulted concerning the 1998 abuse allegation. I wonder if he was the same attorney consulted by Curley and Schultz in 2001? I hope whoever this attorney was will have to testify at their trials about exactly what he advised them to do in both cases.

Here's the latest column from Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports:

(snipped)

It is now perfectly reasonable to postulate that Joe Paterno protected Jerry Sandusky......

The simile in the last sentence is perfect.

What I thought was true about Paterno now seems to be proved as true. He did nothing to protect the child from 2001 that he knew about or future victims of Sandusky. The 'moral god' of Penn State was a false god, as humans usually are. His holy football program was more important than ANYTHING. NO, they must treat Sandusky, the rapist, HUMANELY, to heck with the children! I was almost sure about this but this just seals the deal to me. I'm beginning to think when he said he 'should have done more' he really meant 'more to cover this mess up for good'. Tearing his statue down should be just the beginning of correcting this false 'legacy' IMO.

Another CBS Sports story, this one by Dennis Dodd, discussing the NCAA's role in days to come:

Emmert, NCAA in position to send important message: Make Penn State pay

the rest at the link above

Great article, was just reading it myself. Boy, Dennis Dodd is very mad also, along with the other sports writers. They all were probably hoping that Paterno was not involved and things were as he said and are very disappointed. I hope you don't mind me using another quote, TIA:

Penn State must pay. Take your pick: TV ban, postseason ban, shutting down the program. I don't know if I'd go so far on that last one, but I have turned 180 degrees since November.........

Now that letter, an investigation and the possibility of NCAA sanction don't seem so outrageous. Based on the CNN report alone, Emmert has his proof that -- in his words -- "individuals with present or former administrative or coaching responsibilities may have been aware of this behavior." He has proof that Penn State as a living, breathing, enabling institution -- an administrative monster itself -- violated NCAA Bylaw 10.1, which deals with ethical conduct. ...........

Think of that clause at the front of the manual as the association's Book of Genesis. Before anything else happens, you believe with all your heart in the beginning. In this case, Constitution, Article 2, Bylaw 2.1.2:

An institution's responsibility in rules compliance includes "the actions of its staff members." The president is specifically mentioned.

Victims have suffered. Those in power are culpable. Now it's time for the NCAA to do the right thing, to go to a place we never thought it would: Penalize an institution for gross moral misconduct. It would send the most important message in the NCAA's 107-year history.

Football can't be that important. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member