Nine-year-old girl in critical condition as fabric softener linked to robe igniting

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Nine-year-old girl in critical condition with 75 percent burns
after setting light to herself wearing her favorite nightgown
(Daily Mail)
A nine-year-old girl from Washington state is in a critical condition with second degree burns across 75-percent of her body after her nightgown went up in flames.

Little Addie Perrenoud was at home in her bathroom when she struck a match to light a candle and her nightgown ignited, in an accident possibly caused by the liquid fabric softener her mother used in the home laundry.
---
'If that's the favourite nightgown, it's going to get washed a whole lot,' said [Clarke County assistant fire marshall Richard] Martin.

'As it wears, those fabrics break down and create more surface area to be exposed to the flame...that fuzziness is what contributes to flammability.'
---
the rest of this harrowing tale at link above

oh my gosh! that's all i can say to that one. just horrible.

:please: Prayers for the 9-yr old girl

Oh how horrible ... that poor little girl!!

The flannel type nightwear for children seems to all have the "flammable" notices attached to the nightwear. I try to buy all cotton or cotton knits for my 4 and 5-yr old grandchildren, but they are harder to find in the stores in the winter months, everybody sells flannel.

:heartbeat:

(I'm just going to sneak in and say that recently, it's been talked about that fabric softener contributes to the dryer fires many folks have...and that just is terrible).

Prayers for the little girl and for her family...prayers of healing, strength, and endurance for burns have got to be one of the most painful things that can ever occur.

Best-
Herding Cats

No flames please:truce:, but why hasn't anyone commented on the wisdom of letting a 9-year-old light a candle with a match unsupervised??? If it weren't for that, we wouldn't be discussed what fabric softener/how often if any, that her mother washed her favorite nightgown in!!!:banghead:
That seems to be the big white elephant in the room. I wish the girl well.

AMEN - I wouldn't let a nine-year old have matches, lighters, candles, incense............

Candles are a potential fire hazard and should be treated as such.

"A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

Never leave a burning candle unattended.

Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.

Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets."
http://www.candles.org/safety_candles.html

:)

Hi Linask, you are soooo right!!

My focus was on the fabric, as I do consider it unsafe for children to sleep in ... and I completely overlooked the cause of the fire!! My grandchildren are allowed to use battery operated candles that I bought to help teach them the hazards of fires ... so, thank you for pointing out the unsupervised use of matches by a child.

No flames please:truce:, but why hasn't anyone commented on the wisdom of letting a 9-year-old light a candle with a match unsupervised??? If it weren't for that, we wouldn't be discussed what fabric softener/how often if any, that her mother washed her favorite nightgown in!!!:banghead:
That seems to be the big white elephant in the room. I wish the girl well.

:please: Prayers for the little girl.

:)

Hi Linask, you are soooo right!!

My focus was on the fabric, as I do consider it unsafe for children to sleep in ... and I completely overlooked the cause of the fire!! My grandchildren are allowed to use battery operated candles that I bought to help teach them the hazards of fires ... so, thank you for pointing out the unsupervised use of matches by a child.
Not blaming you- that's what the focus of the article was, and while they may have a good point, they are sensationalist- the tabloid of the UK. However, the mother wasn't at fault for using fabric softener, she used extremely poor judgement in allowing her child unsupervised access to matches and candles. (We do use candles in our bathrooms, as it gets rid of BM odors more naturally-can't stand artificial air fresheners, but my DD has never been allowed to light matches on her own, has been trained when she was 10 and we blow the candles out right away.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back