Eastern US storms kill 13, cut power to millions

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9VNMBDG1@news.ap.org>&ps=1018

WASHINGTON (AP) — Millions across the mid-Atlantic region sweltered Saturday in the aftermath of violent storms that pummeled the eastern U.S. with high winds and downed trees, killing at least 13 people and leaving 3 million without power during a heat wave.

Power officials said the outages wouldn't be repaired for several days to a week, likening the damage to a serious hurricane. Emergencies were declared in Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, the District of Columbia and Virginia, where Gov. Bob McDonnell said the state had its largest non-hurricane outage in history, as more storms threatened. "This is a very dangerous situation," the governor said.

More at link....

sad )-;

hope all our WS posters in that area are safe!

It's Bad! We drove across Ohio today. Every property was hit! We didn't get it too bad but some other areas were hit worse (Marion Co., Putnam Co, Logan Co.) Prayers for those without power. Worst since Ike!

Eastern US continues to swelter; power outages could last days

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4803242...tinues-swelter-power-outages-could-last-days/

Utility crews untangled downed power lines and tree limbs Sunday, working to get the electricity turned back on for millions of people in the mid-Atlantic region facing a second day of 100-degree temperatures without modern conveniences like air conditioning and refrigeration.

Utilities were slowly making progress, but more than 2.6 million people still had no electricity and could only watch their thermostats climb. It could be several days before all the power outages are restored.
------

Meanwhile, officials focused on the most vulnerable residents: children, the sick and the elderly.

In Charleston, W.Va., firefighters helped several people using walkers and wheelchairs get to emergency shelters. One of them, David Gunnoe, uses a wheelchair and had to spend the night in the community room of his apartment complex because the power — and his elevator — went out. Rescuers went up five floors to retrieve his medication.

More at link....

It hit us around 10:30 Friday night and instantly took out electricity and phone lines. We finally got power early this morning. It was a scary storm... our house went unscathed, but up and down our road yards and houses are torn up. I swear it sounded like a freight train was tearing through us. The heat yesterday was hard on me (I have heart and kidney problems) but we went to the next town over and their mall had power... So it was a cool haven for a while. Unfortunately it got crowded quickly so we resorted to driving around with the AC on high. The damage we saw was unbelievable. Thankfully we found a place to get dinner and brought it home, after the heat started backing off.

I cant explain right now how thankful I am for my neighbors and community. The local fire department was out checking on the elderly and people like me with chronic illnesses. It was a scary situation to be in, but so many people have and still are putting forth their kindness to help others get through this. There are still a lot of people without power, and quite a number that cant return home because of storm damage... Please keep them in yalls thoughts and prayers...

(phones are still out so I'm typing this out on my iPhone. Sorry if it reads disjointed-like or I have missed a word or 10... Typing on this thing is tedious lol.)

How are you doing Elphaba? We got power back Saturday morning, but my parents were out until yesterday and some coworkers are still without power. Phones finally seem to be functioning mostly. I have never experienced anything like what happened Friday night. The closest was Hurricane Isabel in 2003. Two of those killed were less than a mile from my parents' house. The damage was horrible with huge trees uprooted and thrown on houses and cars. It all happened so quickly and without warning.

Prayers for those still dealing with the aftermath!

Hollye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Americans' 'amazing' feats against storm and heat

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/us/extreme-heat/index.html

.........Now, days later, Campbell sits on her porch in a wheelchair, surviving record heat with no power and a quickly dwindling supply of food.

Her husband managed to get some staples such as bread. "There was no lunch meat or anything that we found in the stores, but there is always peanut butter," she told CNN with a smile.

"We're tough, we'll make it. West Virginians -- we can make it."
------

As Americans celebrated Independence Day, many in the affected regions are focused on finding ways to get by until power can finally be restored.

Eddie Harmon and his family in South Charleston, West Virginia, have spent nights sleeping in a car just to avoid the oppressive heat inside their home. One of his daughters has gone to stay with her grandmother, who has a generator.

He walked to visit some neighbors to make sure they're OK, he said in an iReport.

Getting around is tough because many gas stations have run out of supplies. People are running out of cash as well and the ATMs have run out, he said.

Ironically, a previous power outage paid off, he said. His deep-freeze freezer had 3 inches of solid ice at the bottom because of a power outage two winters ago -- and that helped keep some chicken cold enough to be safe for cooking.

More at link.....

I just read that it would take between 5 and 15 million per mile to bury lines, and the funds aren't there to do this.

It seems to me the US should concentrate on infrastructure and our own people instead of spending billions to fund wars and foreign aid.

I am in Nicholas County, WV...our power went off about 30 minutes before the storm hit....it sounded like a freight train coming. Lots of trees down on our property, but no damage to structures, people or the horses...we were very lucky. We have had water, but still no electricity. Estimating late Sunday for our power to be back on.

Took a 4-wheeler ride down on the Meadow River yesterday and the damage in the woods is frightening....

Southeastern lower Michigan has been experiencing unseasonably warm weather for nearly two weeks. We've had temperatures above 90* daily, and with high humidity, the heat index reaches combined temps in excess of 100* - very unusual this early in the season. Additionally, metro-Detroit has had severe thunderstorms off & on for the past few days with widespread power outages, flash flooding due to torrential downpours, high wind damage to homes, uprooted trees, and several fires caused by lightning strikes.

The excessive heat is especially difficult for the elderly, infants, and anyone with a compromised respiratory system. I have asthma and can barely stand to be outdoors in the heat for more than a few minutes to tend my flowers, get the mail, etc. Many communities have cooling centers for those without air conditioning, physicians remind people to stay well-hydrated, and veterinarians recommend keeping pets indoors if possible and making sure that they have plenty of cool water to drink.

If you live somewhere that is experiencing excessive temperatures, severe storms, power outages, etc., please stay cool, healthy, and safe.

How are you doing Elphaba? We got power back Saturday morning, but my parents were out until yesterday and some coworkers are still without power. Phones finally seem to be functioning mostly. I have never experienced anything like what happened Friday night. The closest was Hurricane Isabel in 2003. Two of those killed were less than a mile from my parents' house. The damage was horrible with huge trees uprooted and thrown on houses and cars. It all happened so quickly and without warning.

Prayers for those still dealing with the aftermath!

Hollye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are doing great... no issues with the power since it was restored on Sunday, but our phone line and DSL was still on the fritz, yesterday, and lets just say our dealing with Verizon customer service left a lot to be desired. Taking into account that we have constantly had nothing but trouble with the line for some time: we have had enough, so we found a different phone/internet alternative yesterday and Verizon is being booted out the door.

Glad y'all made it through Fridays storm okay and now have power. I have the same sentiments as yours: never experienced anything like it, outside of Hurricane Isabel.

And Texas is unseasonably cooler. It's weird. Triple digits and then BAM.....low 90s and even 80's

I'm in the DC area .. some of my coworkers are STILL without power! mine came back on after about 3 days ..

Bless your heart Blue, 3 days had to be hard. Let me guess, those still without power: Pepco?

At least 30 deaths blamed on heat wave

http://news.yahoo.com/people-seek-relief-water-air-conditioning-unrelenting-us-224015501.html

PHILADELPHIA - Americans dipped into the water, went to the movies and rode the subway just to be in air conditioning Saturday for relief from unrelenting heat that has killed at least 30 people across half the country.

The heat sent temperatures soaring over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) in several cities, including a record 105 F (40.5 C) in Washington, St. Louis (106 F, 41 C), and Indianapolis (104 F, 40 C), buckled highways and derailed a Washington-area train even as another round of summer storms threatened.............

At least 30 deaths were blamed on the heat, including nine in Maryland and 10 in Chicago, mostly among the elderly. Three elderly people found dead in their houses in Ohio had heart disease, but died of high temperatures in homes lacking power because of recent outages, officials said. Heat was also cited as a factor in three deaths in Wisconsin, two in Tennessee and three in Pennsylvania.

More at link....

Why don't they just say that the whole country pretty much got hit in one way or another. I'm in MI, and after we came home from fireworks on the 4th, everything was fine. We sat around my yard and set off fireworks until an insane hour of the morning and then my brother and his kids went home. By 5 a.m., we were all back up, because the wind was gusting up over 80 mph. (No, I am not exaggerating.) When I saw trees blowing in a circular motion, and realized that the wind was sucking things off my dressers and out the windows, I grabbed the kids and we made for the basement. e lost a lot of trees, lots of power lines, and my niece and her kids were trapped in her home by livepower lines and a big tree for about 2 days. Our power went out during the storm and didn't come back on until yesterday afternoon. We had to move the kids out to my brother'swhere it was nice and cool, while we stayed here to guard the house. The first day without power, the heat index was 112.

I'm am frankly terrified of the way the weather is behaving this year all over the country. There are so many places being hit so hard that the news can't hardly keep up with all of them and have time to report on anything else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back