ANOTHER salad recall-3rd in 3 months

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
I stopped buying salad or lettuce at the market. I have an indoor greenhouse and grow my own lettuce and spinach now. What really is a pain is consumers buy the salad, the company tells them to throw it away, but they never reimburse the consumer for the cost of the product. Great way to do business, huh. :banghead:

Dole Hearts of Romaine salads are being voluntarily recalled after one bag tested positive for listeria monocytogenes during a random check by the FDA.

This is the third time in three months that Dole has recalled bagged salad because of contamination concerns. On April 14, the company recalled 756 cases of Seven Lettuces Salad because of potential salmonella contamination. On June 26, Dole recalled 1,000 cases of Kroger Fresh Selections Greener Supreme, Kroger Fresh Selections Leafy Romaine and Wal-Mart Marketside Leafy Romaine salads.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...igger-recall-of-2598-cases-of-dole-salad?lite

I stopped buying salad or lettuce at the market. I have an indoor greenhouse and grow my own lettuce and spinach now. What really is a pain is consumers buy the salad, the company tells them to throw it away, but they never reimburse the consumer for the cost of the product. Great way to do business, huh. :banghead:

Dole Hearts of Romaine salads are being voluntarily recalled after one bag tested positive for listeria monocytogenes during a random check by the FDA.

This is the third time in three months that Dole has recalled bagged salad because of contamination concerns. On April 14, the company recalled 756 cases of Seven Lettuces Salad because of potential salmonella contamination. On June 26, Dole recalled 1,000 cases of Kroger Fresh Selections Greener Supreme, Kroger Fresh Selections Leafy Romaine and Wal-Mart Marketside Leafy Romaine salads.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...igger-recall-of-2598-cases-of-dole-salad?lite

What I find interesting is that they instruct you to throw it away, and people do! Me? No way no how. If I have eaten out of a bag that has been recalled due to the risk of contamination that bag is going to be wrapped and shrink wrapped then stored in the freezer. I want to be able to prove I had it if I get sick and it comes time to pay the medical bills, not to mention it could help in medical personnel figure out what is wrong with me faster.

If I haven't opened the bag I would take it back to the store and get my $ back even if it was a bit wilted by the time I made the trip. Some of those bags of lettuce are pricey!

hm, seems like everytime this happens, we have just eaten a bagged salad the evening before but do ya think I can remember what kind it was? :banghead:

hm, seems like everytime this happens, we have just eaten a bagged salad the evening before but do ya think I can remember what kind it was? :banghead:

I buy bunches and heads of lettuce and greens. More work to fix a salad, but far safer.

Are these companies fined or is it business as usual after they issue a recall? We've had our share of recalls up here in Canada as well but no one ever mentions what happens as a result of what I would consider poisoning the public?

It's ridiculous. What does it take for the government to take some serious action? Can't the foods be tested BEFORE being sent out for consumption? WTH?

:maddening:

Are these companies fined or is it business as usual after they issue a recall? We've had our share of recalls up here in Canada as well but no one ever mentions what happens as a result of what I would consider poisoning the public?

It's ridiculous. What does it take for the government to take some serious action? Can't the foods be tested BEFORE being sent out for consumption? WTH?

:maddening:

Apparently, it is business as usual. There should be some sanction against the companies.

if they have listeria in them then its the way they are growing the plants and someone needs to check out there greenhouses and farms they use?

had salad the other day but it was the head of lettuce and washed really well, it was not dole but some other brand

as the grower and the supplier dole, they should be taking 2 heads or hearts or whatever kinds of lettuce they grown from each lot ( like each 10 foot section or something ) to test and see if they are ok

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back