03 July: Brian Jones drowns (1969); Jim Morrison - dead in Paris bathtub (1971)

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Ill-fated day in rock history, this one. Both of these deaths have given rise to a host of rumors about what caused them.

Brian Jones and Jim Morrison die, two years apart to the day (history.com)
---
For all the highly publicized brushes with the law that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would have in the late 1960s, it was the original leader of the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones, who was the group's original bad boy—who lived, in the words of Pete Townshend, "on a higher planet of decadence than anyone I would ever meet."
---
Two years later to the day, another 27-year-old rock star would die under uncertain circumstances: Jim Morrison. As the charismatic frontman of the iconic 1960s group The Doors, Jim Morrison created a template that charismatic frontmen are still emulating nearly half a century later. Young, good-looking and clad in skintight black leather pants, the Lizard King mesmerized a generation with his stage presence and his lyrics about funeral pyres and mystic heated wine.
---
much more at link above

WS link:

Rolling Stone Brian Jones 1969 death might have been murder

We don't seem to have a Jim Morrison thread devoted to the various rumors about his demise. How can such things be??

Trivia note: Brian Jones drowned at the former home of A.A. Milne, creator, of course, of Winnie-the-Pooh.

He was born in the same hospital as two of my son's.

Love, love, loved the Doors with JM, and even the reborn Doors had a few good ones. Liked a lot of the early Rolling Stones' music....have posted boocoodles of both on FB...thanks for the info and reminder...

I am a die-hard Stones fan, and Brian Jones' death has always fascinated me. Supposedly, Frank Thorogood, a construction worker and caretaker at Jones' house confessed to drowning Brian on his deathbed in 1993.

I've also heard a theory that there was a bad batch of heroin going around at the time Jim Morrison died. There were a few other people in Morrison's circle in Europe who died of heroin overdoses during the same time period. Even the guy who sold heroin to Jim and Pam (Jean de Breteuil, a baron or count, I can't remember which) died of an overdose not long after Morrison. Talitha Getty was another person in that circle who died of a heroin overdose that summer.

For some reason - psychedelicness? outright spaciness? - the Stones's Their Satanic Majesties Request seems the most "Brian" of their albums; even though it was his love of basic blues - Elmore James and Robert Johnson in particular - which led him to be the chief founder of the band, his contribution to the LP is seen most in his toying with the elaborate psychic soundscapes which inform many of the tracks on this, one of the most underrated albums of the '60s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BajH1t3uHY

For some reason - psychedelicness? outright spaciness? - the Stones's Their Satanic Majesties Request seems the most "Brian" of their albums; even though it was his love of basic blues - Elmore James and Robert Johnson in particular - which led him to be the chief founder of the band, his contribution to the LP is seen most in his toying with the elaborate psychic soundscapes which inform many of the tracks on this, one of the most underrated albums of the '60s:
Rolling Stones 2000 Light Years from Home - YouTube

That is my favorite Stones album! It has "Dandelion", my favorite Stones song.

jonesbrian11.jpg

jmbust.jpg

I was too young to remember the death of Brian Jones. Were him and Jim 27 clubbers?

[video=youtube;1s361NDi7Do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s361NDi7Do[/video]

I can see how Under My Thumb is misogynistic, but not so much Love Me Two Times.

From Wikipedia:

"According to band members, the song was about a soldier/sailor on his last day with his girlfriend before shipping out, ostensibly to war (Vietnam)".
That's certainly not made clear in the song; the message seems to be only "(beep) me twice, I'm leaving you, babe/girl."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back