Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Quote Originally Posted by laurvelous View Post
    That abandoned platform is very difficult to get to...would be nearly impossible carrying a body. There are railroad ties spaced at least a foot apart from the top of the levee to get to the rusty old walk over the shore of the river about 30 ft down (I learned the scary way that shore can also be used as a boat launch). You have to walk along the seams of the old rusty metal plates to not fall through. Once you get on the cement platform, you're good but it's treacherous on your own and I nearly died one night helping carry an ice chest to the platform, there's no way someone could maneuver it with a body to throw it in the river, especially on the night of a new moon.

And there's never a guarantee that you'll be alone out there once you get out to the platform either...

Not a likely dumping spot IMO...for this or any crime (but I do always look down on the shore below when I'm up there for bodies, just in case - you never know what may be hidden deep in the Mighty Mississippi)
    thank you for letting me know that. i have never ventured out there. all very good points. so we can check that off

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justwannahelp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by justwannahelp View Post
    when the silence started i was outraged, then wiser sleuthers explained to me that maybe they were closing in on someone, so the silence may have been necessary. so i calmed down and became hopeful.

now, though, too much time has gone by since the silence started. so I don't think that they are closing in on anyone. they would have sealed the deal by now.

i'm very very very discouraged
    'justwannahelp, missing persons investigations are predominately marathons. Seldom are they sprints, due to lack of witnesses, normal delays before the initial investigation is iniated/ruling out the normal POIs, family, friends, lovers, etc.

More often than not, if a stranger is involved, the case will then, either grow cold for years or decades until an unsuspected tip comes in, or the case is solved due to forensics. The families will continue their searches & investigation til solved..

If ya really want to help 'justwannahelp, the victims & families of the silent missing epidemic, just jump in, you'll be accepted with open arms.

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/tag/...ns-conference/

2013 The 9th Annual National Missing Persons Conference "A Pathway to Resolution", save the date March 21st thru the 24th....see you there.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

I have looked at white truck pics for weeks now. I have seen thousands. However, the only white Chevy-type truck I have seen with a chrome gas cover has been in the parking lot at Burnt. Is anyone familiar with this truck?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Island hopper For This Useful Post:

i just read up on her case. the locals seem to be suspecting one person. so she's not a "vanished without a reason" situation. this is just what i've read in the past 10 minutes. i definitely have not been following her case, so i could totally be off base.
    Same w/ Crystal---the locals have two suspects---one is in jail and the other is dead from an overdose, they think they know the scenario but LE won't do anything (IMO from reading their opinion lol).

For lack of being able to open only one window or my google chrome will crash....do I post the link w/ all this local hearsay or leave it alone?! I'll edit if I need to add it...Thanx

Jaren Lockhart, Erika Sharpton, Tara Hawkins, Karen Swift (locals seem to have a POI, so I'm counting her out) and an unidentified Oregon girl's body are the 4 bodies they have to work with. if any of these bodies have the same DNA on them then we know there is a serial killer.

that is the only theory i can think of at the moment, but i don't really believe in it. if i was LE, I would look into it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to justwannahelp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    jujube, I remember reading long ago that police found a body in the Green River case, and they did not announce it. Instead, they set up surveillance, hoping the perp would come back to the scene.

I didn't quote your whole post, I know you didn't want that! But I wanted you to know that I have heard of what you are saying.

I don't think it is SOP, but it is a tactic that is sometimes used by LE.
    Going by memory here(Ann Rule), but I think a dumping ground of Ridgeway's was located in Kings Co., WA, during the 2 decades long GR Task Force investigation, & was silenced to the media while an unsuccessful stakeout was launched. There was a lot of silence and political backlash in the Green River investigation...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aviatrix View Post
    I did the same thing-- trying to find a logo that matched what I thought I was seeing on that service box on the side of the truck. If I lived in Lafayette or Lake Charles or wherever, I swear I would be cruising through the parking lots of the plants looking for a logo on a service box. At some point it looks to me like a water cooler sitting on the back right of that truck bed. Pipeline company? Pipeline worker that was staying in Lafayette? That logo is going to drive me crazy thinking about it.

I think I see some kind of logo. Looks to me like MnM. In red letters.

Okay: I know what needs to be done. Someone who has PhotoShop needs to grab the photo of the truck which shows the service box on the side. I believe it has three initials for letters centered in the middle. What I need to know is what color those letters are -- they are showing as black and white -- but if you grab that photo, then bring up the levels, perhaps it will help in deciphering what color is on that service box. I believe it will be something like CNG or an oil-related service company. I am thinking that those letters will be dark red, but it is something that PhotoShop can help pan out. Once we get it blown up and a decision is made what color we think it is -- we can begin to search on Lafayette or southern Louisiana companie with logos. It is interesting to me that there are no logos on the doors of the truck, but rather on the service box only. It could be not the logo of the companybut rather an LSU Tiger face or somthing symbolic to the truck owner. But I absolutely thinkn it is worth figuring this out since we don't have a license plate to go with.
    There is also what appears to be a logo on the back passenger side window.

The following link shows a pic of a truck posted on KATC of a vehicle someone spotted on the side of the road. The truck appears to be an older model but the decal on the rear window looks like the logo on the VOI and it has what appears to be a large decal on the rear side passenger window.

http://www.katc.com/images/gallery/1...762_184028.jpg

Does anyone know what his symbol is on the back window?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Island hopper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Island hopper View Post
    There is also what appears to be a logo on the back passenger side window.

The following link shows a pic of a truck posted on KATC of a vehicle someone spotted on the side of the road. The truck appears to be an older model but the decal on the rear window looks like the logo on the VOI and it has what appears to be a large decal on the rear side passenger window.

http://www.katc.com/images/gallery/1...762_184028.jpg

Does anyone know what his symbol is on the back window?
    gosh. yes. those are everywhere in Louisiana too. it's a fleur de lis symbol made out of the bodies of a fish, deer, and duck intertwined. it's for hunter fisherman.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to justwannahelp For This Useful Post:

here it is

the Louisiana Sportsman Symbol

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/pr...ly.php?id=1898

17. The Following User Says Thank You to justwannahelp For This Useful Post:

Jaren Lockhart, Erika Sharpton, Tara Hawkins, Karen Swift (locals seem to have a POI, so I'm counting her out) and an unidentified Oregon girl's body are the 4 bodies they have to work with. if any of these bodies have the same DNA on them then we know there is a serial killer.

that is the only theory i can think of at the moment, but i don't really believe in it. if i was LE, I would look into it

'justwannahelp, FBI BAU2 VICAP knows or has a good idea of the number of serial killer investigations which are ongoing across the US.

The FBI, for the most part is very secretive & will not release this info to the American public. Even after an arrest & conviction of the most prolific serial killers, it may be years or decades before the truth is revealed to the public due to the magnitude of their trail of terror; victim totals..

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

gosh. yes. those are everywhere in Louisiana too. it's a fleur de lis symbol made out of the bodies of a fish, deer, and duck intertwined. it's for hunter fisherman.
    Thank you!! I am not familiar with it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justwannahelp For This Useful Post:

Al right back, to that dang truck photo. Does anyone else see like a clipboard with some kind of piece of paper or size of a piece of paper on the front dash board? I cannot figure out what I am seeing. It is in the photo of the guy running at the gas station. In that truck, there is a work box on the back passenger's side that I am trying to figure out if it has a symbol or letters on i. The other thing I am trying to figure out is what that is on the dashboard. Any guesses?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to aviatrix For This Useful Post:

http://bayoucane.blogspot.com/2009/0...louisiana.html

This article is in regards to Lousiana and the fleur de lis symbol in general. It's kind of a claim to fame (the saints of course, have a lot to do w/ this) for the symbol and it sounds like LA boasts it everywhere. I originally looked this up b/c I have never seen this symbol (w/ the fish and such) before and there are A LOT of hunters, fishers, etc in my area now and where I lived at in KY. Just found it interesting
    Last edited by StacyMarie83; 07-04-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling

26. The Following User Says Thank You to StacyMarie83 For This Useful Post:

Al right back, to that dang truck photo. Does anyone else see like a clipboard with some kind of piece of paper or size of a piece of paper on the front dash board? I cannot figure out what I am seeing. It is in the photo of the guy running at the gas station. In that truck, there is a work box on the back passenger's side that I am trying to figure out if it has a symbol or letters on i. The other thing I am trying to figure out is what that is on the dashboard. Any guesses?
    I have been looking at that also. I think it looks like someone's feet up on the dashboard.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Island hopper For This Useful Post:

Brought over from last Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by nutkin View Post
    In all actuality, generally accepted statistics show the number of "serial killers" dropping each decade after a peak in the 1980s.
    'nutkin, on 09/2005 the definition of serial killer was lowered from 3 victims to only two by the FBI BAU2'. This was done primarily to allow the FBI to assist local LE when the possibility of a SK exists in their jurisdiction, to provide their expertise & resources.
    It is estimated that there is between 50 & 100 active serial killers in the US at any given time.
    Due to many factors; drugs/meth epidemic, illegal immigration, gang violence, etc. Imo, these FBI estimates are very conservative, as shown by the number of serial killers truckers identified since the FBI Trucker Serial Killer Iniative was established in 2009. There is 100,000+ missing persons in the US. It would be logical to conclude that many of these victims were stranger sexual predator abductions, imo..

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009...yserial_040609
    Highway Serial Killings
    New Initiative on an Emerging Trend
    04/06/09

In 2004, an analyst from the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation detected a crime pattern: the bodies of murdered women were being dumped along the Interstate 40 corridor in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu.../serial-murder

II. Definition of Serial Murder 09/2005
    In the past thirty years, multiple definitions of serial murder have been used by law enforcement, clinicians, academia, and researchers. While these definitions do share several common themes, they differ on specific requirements, such as the number of murders involved, the types of motivation, and the temporal aspects of the murders. To address these discrepancies, attendees at the Serial Murder Symposium examined the variations in order to develop a single definition for serial murder.
    Previous definitions of serial murder specified a certain number of murders, varying from two to ten victims. This quantitative requirement distinguished a serial murder from other categories of murder (i.e. single, double, or triple murder).
    The different discussion groups at the Symposium agreed on a number of similar factors to be included in a definition. These included:
    • one or more offenders
    • two or more murdered victims
    • incidents should be occurring in separate events, at different times
    • the time period between murders separates serial murder from mass murder
    In combining the various ideas put forth at the Symposium, the following definition was crafted:

* Serial Murder: The unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events.

Behavioral Analysis Unit-2
    National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime
    Critical Incident Response Group
    Federal Bureau of Investigation

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

http://lafayette-la.eventseekr.com/c...s/venue/412064

In the far left side of this pic there is a white Chevy z71 that has a box/tool of some sort on the passenger side wheel well. The only one I have come across so far. Cannot make out anything else as it is a partial pic.

I did the same thing-- trying to find a logo that matched what I thought I was seeing on that service box on the side of the truck. If I lived in Lafayette or Lake Charles or wherever, I swear I would be cruising through the parking lots of the plants looking for a logo on a service box. At some point it looks to me like a water cooler sitting on the back right of that truck bed. Pipeline company? Pipeline worker that was staying in Lafayette? That logo is going to drive me crazy thinking about it.

I think I see some kind of logo. Looks to me like MnM. In red letters.

Okay: I know what needs to be done. Someone who has PhotoShop needs to grab the photo of the truck which shows the service box on the side. I believe it has three initials for letters centered in the middle. What I need to know is what color those letters are -- they are showing as black and white -- but if you grab that photo, then bring up the levels, perhaps it will help in deciphering what color is on that service box. I believe it will be something like CNG or an oil-related service company. I am thinking that those letters will be dark red, but it is something that PhotoShop can help pan out. Once we get it blown up and a decision is made what color we think it is -- we can begin to search on Lafayette or southern Louisiana companie with logos. It is interesting to me that there are no logos on the doors of the truck, but rather on the service box only. It could be not the logo of the companybut rather an LSU Tiger face or somthing symbolic to the truck owner. But I absolutely thinkn it is worth figuring this out since we don't have a license plate to go with.
    There is a local K & M janitorial service that is in red lettering.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Island hopper For This Useful Post:

Do any of you guys think LE has a suspect/suspects in this case? If so, young, old, one or two.

Wow. Its been a while since I was actually on here. Hello everyone!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fairest of them all For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Some do and some don't. Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy come to mind.

This is a very interesting article on serial killer myths. Read through the whole article:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...ths/index.html
    (Snipped for space)
    QUOTE FROM ARTICLE ABOVE
    "The one noticeable similarity with almost all serial killer victims is their short height and low weight. Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue should be the serial killer theme song. These small lightweight victims are easy to attack, easy to beat up, easy to carry or drag, easy to put in the trunk of a car, and easy to dispose of. Big victims are far too much work."

This struck a chord because I'm 5 foot 2. And from memory most of the missing blonde girls we've discussed on here. Victims of circumstance or targeted? MOO
    Last edited by JBean; 07-04-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fix broken quote

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IronyDetective For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    'Nope, so he just does a media interview..makes sense'..
    'Guess, he uses invisible ink, huh'?
    Kept Mickeys name in the news without giving us anything new. Has anyone learned anything from his media interview?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Boudin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    Do they fish here?

http://www.trafficland.com/city/LFT/camera/7473/

I-10 @ Ramah

People fish all over the place here...large waterways all the way down to little bayous. Some people sit on the bank of a bayou and fish. There are tons of wetlands here where people fish or where someone could dispose of a body if they wanted to. The bayous also have little runoffs that collect water when it's wet and have just small amounts during the drier weather. These can be found not far out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    There is a great deal of interest. Nothing new, nothing I can bring here. No on-going searches at this point.

Girl, you are going to be so tired tomorrow morning! When you decide to hit the sack, I hope you sleep well! :kiss:
    Seriously, her 4th of July will be ruined.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dejavoodoo64 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NquiringMind View Post
    Do any of you guys think LE has a suspect/suspects in this case? If so, young, old, one or two.
    I believe they likely do have strong leads/suspect(s). There is a very pointed, emphatic quality to the silence around the case. The quality of the silence also leads me to believe that they think there's some chance she's alive.
    This seems like one of these situations where even more patience than usual is going to have to be required. The emotional initial push to find Mickey has made the silence even more deafening, by comparison.

45. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast