Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 108

Thread: TN: Carryville female 15-21 - Lynn Cameron

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaH View Post
    This article was in the Knoxville news.

    http://www.wate.com/story/18992682/s...-state-custody

    The mother will not face charges.

    This breaks my heart. The mother said she could not and would not care for Her daughter any longer.

    How can someone do this and live with themselves.
    This kills me...she could have been raped, beaten, killed...
    You don't drive 3-4 states away to just drop a vulnerable human at a bar without have ill intentions! She did not care one bit what happened! Where is the dad? Mom & dad are still married according to court records.


    That "woman" is not a mother! When you have a special needs child it is hard.
    I know first hand! At the young age of 23 my daughter was born with severe hydrocephalus (water on the brain), CP, epilepsy, blind, and severe brain damage. It was a fight because my husbands family wanted me to place her for adoption. NO WAY!! I am not a so called "bible beater" but I honestly believe I was given my daughter because God knew I would fight for her rights and be her voice until my last breath!


    She is 8 now. Still nonverbal, can not feed herself, bathe herself, she continues to use diapers...but it will be a cold day in hell before I would give u on her! I am crying so hard I can barely see the screen so sorry if there are a ton of typos. Just sick over this...and NO charges?? Is it because the daughter is "disabled" so her value is less?? I have learned more about life from my daughter than anyone else in my life...they are pure souls!!


    Of course this is all FWIW IMO!!!!
    "Smile It Irritates Those Who Wish To Destroy You"
    All statements made are my opinion unless linked to an MSM

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tlzzdavis For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    554
    http://fox8.com/2012/07/10/mother-ab...another-state/


    Doing this day in, day out, when it is all that you are and what you do, it changes you. You become someone, something you never imagined. You end up places you never, ever could have foreseen as a result of circumstances so bizarre, they defy description. So while I can say I would never, ever abandon my own child, I understand very well why someone might walk away from theirs. That doesn't make it right, just that I understand the why of it.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to craftybatchy For This Useful Post:


  5. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    This case has touched very close to my heart-I have a sister that was hit by a car when she was 3=my mom & dad took care of her until my dad passed.There came a time when my mom could not care for my sister not only b/c she was alone-but my mom was older then-my mom made the heartbreaking decsion to put her in a group home.A home which is wonderful with her.My sister is now 49-but has a mind of an 7 or 8 yr old.
    Lynn's mother made the statement-she could not & would not take care of her daughter ever again-Boy-What my mother would do to be able to take care of my sister again.My mother cries A LOT b/c she can't do it anymore & the guilt of having to put my sister in a home feeds on her daily..I will never tell my mother Lynn;s story as its so heartbreaking-but it would make her angry-so I will leave this just between us..
    As for Lynn-I am happy she will be cared for.I am so glad nothing bad happened to her as we all know-these days are not safe anymore..May the good lord shine his light on her and keep her safe!

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  7. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by tlzzdavis View Post
    This kills me...she could have been raped, beaten, killed...
    You don't drive 3-4 states away to just drop a vulnerable human at a bar without have ill intentions! She did not care one bit what happened! Where is the dad? Mom & dad are still married according to court records.


    That "woman" is not a mother! When you have a special needs child it is hard.
    I know first hand! At the young age of 23 my daughter was born with severe hydrocephalus (water on the brain), CP, epilepsy, blind, and severe brain damage. It was a fight because my husbands family wanted me to place her for adoption. NO WAY!! I am not a so called "bible beater" but I honestly believe I was given my daughter because God knew I would fight for her rights and be her voice until my last breath!


    She is 8 now. Still nonverbal, can not feed herself, bathe herself, she continues to use diapers...but it will be a cold day in hell before I would give u on her! I am crying so hard I can barely see the screen so sorry if there are a ton of typos. Just sick over this...and NO charges?? Is it because the daughter is "disabled" so her value is less?? I have learned more about life from my daughter than anyone else in my life...they are pure souls!!


    Of course this is all FWIW IMO!!!!
    I am angry to about the no charges to-she abandoned a child really & she should be charged as such.Lynn can not speak & has a mind of a small child.Why can't they see this as a total disregard of a human life...I would not have been this angry had she dropped her off at a police station or hospital..but a BAR!

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  9. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,188
    Eva Cameron also said her church directed her there because it is a more Baptist area.
    She also has another disabled child at home..

    video of Lynn in link: http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...-back/awybm7g/

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:


  11. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,707
    I can't imagine a mother abandoning her handicapped child in such a cold way. My husband and I have a mentally handicapped daughter with an IQ of 38 and a social age of 5 to 8 years. We have cared for her at home for 44 years and will continue to do so until we are no longer able to. Our daughter can't read or write or take care of herself alone but she goes to work every day at a sheltered workshop and loves it and has friends there. She helps out at home and is a very happy person. We have a grandson with autism and his parents sought intensive intervention for him early in his life and worked with him tirelessly until he is now nearly normal. No way would we ever think of abandoning a handicapped child.

  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:


  13. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    That mother's story sounds like BS to me
    I wonder if Lynn understands what her mother did to her?Poor girl-my heart just breaks for her-They better not give her mother visitation either!!!

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  15. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,870
    What a sad story! What will happen to Lynn? I can't imagine how confused she must be..... some humans are less evolved than animals when it comes to maternal instincts.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:


  17. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,188
    When I googled the mom and her home town.I got a listing for a very nice home in a nice neighborhood. I also noticed a comment on
    Local News: Algonquin, IL topix "Really I know this family an their are a lot of serious issues going on its time for the state to take care of the other two children in that house."

    I would hope the state does check on the welfare of the other two children.(If in fact there are two) If she gave up on one what will happen to the others? I also wonder did Lynn really have a baby? What was that story?? How does your constant needs child end up with a baby?? I think we will hear more about this family in the future..

  18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:


  19. #85
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    I think before everyone starts ripping this mother, they might want to see what the state of affairs is in Illinois with help for the disabled.

    Sadly, this mother might not have had any other choice, and this might have been the most difficult decision she had to make, in order to ensure Lynn is cared for properly. Especially now that Lynn is no longer a minor.

    Perhaps being a ward of the state, in a state other than Illinois, will ensure Lynn gets the care she needs.


    The first article is a year old. It has only gotten worse here in Illinois.

    Parents of disabled children giving up on Illinois


    Families move to other states as Illinois' social service funding shrinks

    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...palsy-illinois



    Parents sue over cuts to children’s medical care

    By: The Associated Press | 12 hours ago

    CHICAGO – A group of parents has filed a lawsuit seeking to preserve an Illinois program that pays for home care for their medically fragile children.

    http://wjbc.com/parents-sue-over-cut...-medical-care/
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  21. #86
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    ALGONQUIN – An Algonquin woman accused of abandoning her severely disabled 19-year-old daughter at a Tennessee bar late last month said Tuesday that she brought her daughter to the state because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...-back/awybm7g/


    None of those who are bashing this mothers decision live in Illinois. I live in Illinois. There is really no more funding for the disabled. There were massive cuts which went into effect in June of this year. It's really not good. This mother did not kill her daughter like we've seen with so many others. She brought her daughter to a state which she believed could provide her daughter with care she could not in Illinois.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  23. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    ALGONQUIN – An Algonquin woman accused of abandoning her severely disabled 19-year-old daughter at a Tennessee bar late last month said Tuesday that she brought her daughter to the state because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...-back/awybm7g/


    None of those who are bashing this mothers decision live in Illinois. I live in Illinois. There is really no more funding for the disabled. There were massive cuts which went into effect in June of this year. It's really not good. This mother did not kill her daughter like we've seen with so many others. She brought her daughter to a state which she believed could provide her daughter with care she could not in Illinois.
    There are far better ways to go about this situation than she did.

    My daughter was born in Chicago. Because of the poor health care (not welfare benefits) we moved to Arizona after the clearance from all of her specialist. I did what was best for my child at the age of 23. With that being said you would think a 45 year old could do the same.

    The bottom line is...SHE DROPPED HER DAUGHTER OFF IN THE DARK AT A BAR IN A STRANGE AREA WITHOUT NOTIFYING ANYONE! For that reason alone I believe she is wrong for doing what she did.

    I guess at this point we can agree to disagree. But there are laws to protect Lynn and I hope those are enforced.

    ETA: Cubby I understand where you are coming from. But living this lifestyle everyday puts this into a whole different perspective for some. We are on many forums with the exact same thoughts and I respect you. I hope this didn't come off snappy. Most states are cutting funding...it is just another bump in the road.
    Last edited by tlzzdavis; 07-10-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: note
    "Smile It Irritates Those Who Wish To Destroy You"
    All statements made are my opinion unless linked to an MSM

  24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tlzzdavis For This Useful Post:


  25. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,870
    I totally respect the mother's decision to drop Lynn of rather than get rid of her in the manner we are accustomed to here at WS's. I just deleted a long statement I was making about our healthcare system, and the approach of our current government to the situation. I will not make this political (Reannan bites her tongue, and refuses to say anything else)... I simply want to know what happened to Lynn, and what will the future hold for her? She looks like a really happy, good soul that would be a joy to know.

  26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:


  27. #89
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    Quote Originally Posted by tlzzdavis View Post
    There are far better ways to go about this situation than she did.

    My daughter was born in Chicago. Because of the poor health care (not welfare benefits) we moved to Arizona after the clearance from all of her specialist. I did what was best for my child at the age of 23. With that being said you would think a 45 year old could do the same.

    The bottom line is...SHE DROPPED HER DAUGHTER OFF IN THE DARK AT A BAR IN A STRANGE AREA WITHOUT NOTIFYING ANYONE! For that reason alone I believe she is wrong for doing what she did.

    I guess at this point we can agree to disagree. But there are laws to protect Lynn and I hope those are enforced.

    ETA: Cubby I understand where you are coming from. But living this lifestyle everyday puts this into a whole different perspective for some. We are on many forums with the exact same thoughts and I respect you. I hope this didn't come off snappy. Most states are cutting funding...it is just another bump in the road.

    I have a cousin who is in her 40's who is mentally disabled and will need life long care. She'll need care well after her parents are gone.

    You're lucky you were able to leave and move across country at 23. not everyone is able to just pick up and move.

    Selling is not an option for many in this market. Perhaps it is not for Lynn's mother. Perhaps her home's value is tens of thousands below what is owed on the mortgage value like many. Many homes market value is at best 50% of the mortgage owed due to the decline in the RE market in just the last few years.

    I agree she could have done things differently, but none of us know how we might act in desperate times or desperate situations. She did not kill her. Gosh, we've seen mothers murder - pull feeding tubes out of their children and grandchildren and leave them to die a slow and painful death on the side of the road. This mother did not do that. Could she have done things differently, sure. But when one is at their wit's end feeling hopeless who knows.

    I think this is just the begining of what we may be seeing out of desperate parents and families in Illinois.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  29. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    ALGONQUIN – An Algonquin woman accused of abandoning her severely disabled 19-year-old daughter at a Tennessee bar late last month said Tuesday that she brought her daughter to the state because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...-back/awybm7g/


    None of those who are bashing this mothers decision live in Illinois. I live in Illinois. There is really no more funding for the disabled. There were massive cuts which went into effect in June of this year. It's really not good. This mother did not kill her daughter like we've seen with so many others. She brought her daughter to a state which she believed could provide her daughter with care she could not in Illinois.
    I couldn't agree more, Cubby.

    Here is a great article that is not biased and explains the situation better:

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...wybm7g/?page=1

    And some quotes:

    "There has been nothing presented to our office to show she has been physically harmed or suffered any immediate or irreparable harm," Assistant District Attorney Scarlett Ellis said. "While it morally is not right – it's something that goes straight to the heart – it does not rise to the level of criminal codes here."

    Eva Cameron said that she has another disabled child and that caring for both was too much to handle.

    "We need to change the law so that if a mother has two children that have issues with disabilities, that there needs to be more help offered by the state," she said. "They just say, 'You don't qualify.' "



    As well as this:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...hp_ref=chicago

    Describing the situation to the Northwest Herald, Cameron painted a different picture of the incident. She says she drove to Tennessee and left her daughter in the state's care because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America," and would be better able to provide for Lynn than her family, which was overextended caring for her sibling.

    "We need to change the law so that if a mother has two children that have issues with disabilities, that there needs to be more help offered by the state," Cameron told the newspaper. "They just say, 'You don't qualify.' "

    While Cameron's actions may be ethically questionable, they reflect an increasingly common struggle for Illinoisans living with mental health issues or relatives who need care. According to a 2011 report by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) titled "State Mental Health Cuts: A National Crisis," Illinois tops the nation in mental health cuts following the closure of six of the Chicago's 12 mental health clinics and two state institutions this year.

    Lynn Cameron is currently at the Michael Dunn Facility in Roane County, Tenn. while officials make plans for her long-term care, WVLT-TV reports. Two of Illinois' comparable live-in care facilities were closed in a cost-cutting move earlier this month that displaced roughly 600 patients to shave $20 million off the state budget.


    I think the mother researched the situation and did the best she could do with the resources she had at the time. There is something to be said for attempting to give Lynn a better life. Seriously. It is amazing how we praise people for their unselfish and giving act when placing a baby or young child for adoption, but, can't see that this woman recognized that keeping Lynn was depriving Lynn of opportunities or perhaps even placing Lynn in a situation where she would eventually end up neglected, abused or harmed. We don't know the situation at home, but, the mother...in her own way...is looking out for Lynn.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:


  31. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    She could have dropped her off at a police station,hospital,church-she probably would not have been charged- she did not get charged for dropping her off at a damn bar-I am furious at this woman!!There were better ways for this woman to see that her daughter got the care she so deserves & could not provide for her-I mean really-lets drive to a other state and drop off a (child in my mind) at a bar with strangers-no ID & not a clue where she is & probably does not understand what is going on..If this had been a small child-she would have been charged!!Yes-I understand that states across the country are making big cuts-but to drop off a poor mentally challenged person who is childlike in a bar to me-is just down right wrong-Thank god nothing happened to her with all the creeps out there!
    Last edited by SyraKelly; 07-10-2012 at 11:41 PM.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  33. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    If she brought her to the state b/c it had the best health care-then why didn't she drop her off at a hospital?

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  35. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    ALGONQUIN – An Algonquin woman accused of abandoning her severely disabled 19-year-old daughter at a Tennessee bar late last month said Tuesday that she brought her daughter to the state because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...-back/awybm7g/


    None of those who are bashing this mothers decision live in Illinois. I live in Illinois. There is really no more funding for the disabled. There were massive cuts which went into effect in June of this year. It's really not good. This mother did not kill her daughter like we've seen with so many others. She brought her daughter to a state which she believed could provide her daughter with care she could not in Illinois.
    Cubby is SO right. I live in IL as well, the state cuts to so many needed services is just mind blowing.

    On another note - I have been a WS member a long time. I am also active on FB, very active, and post a lot of things as well as a lot of missing stories. It came to me (I was told, eta) today that when I posted Lynn's story last week, a friend shared it, and one of their friends is the one who recognized
    Lynn as they knew the family and called it in. This is the first time I know something I have done in this area has paid off, and, honestly I am sad and crying. I will keep posting, but, so sad over this whole story,
    Last edited by WholeLottaRosie; 07-11-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: clairification






    All kinds of hugs!

    ROSIE



  36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WholeLottaRosie For This Useful Post:


  37. #94
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
    I couldn't agree more, Cubby.

    Here is a great article that is not biased and explains the situation better:

    http://www.nwherald.com/2012/07/10/a...wybm7g/?page=1

    And some quotes:

    "There has been nothing presented to our office to show she has been physically harmed or suffered any immediate or irreparable harm," Assistant District Attorney Scarlett Ellis said. "While it morally is not right – it's something that goes straight to the heart – it does not rise to the level of criminal codes here."

    Eva Cameron said that she has another disabled child and that caring for both was too much to handle.

    "We need to change the law so that if a mother has two children that have issues with disabilities, that there needs to be more help offered by the state," she said. "They just say, 'You don't qualify.' "


    As well as this:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...hp_ref=chicago

    Describing the situation to the Northwest Herald, Cameron painted a different picture of the incident. She says she drove to Tennessee and left her daughter in the state's care because it has the "No. 1 health care system in the United States of America," and would be better able to provide for Lynn than her family, which was overextended caring for her sibling.

    "We need to change the law so that if a mother has two children that have issues with disabilities, that there needs to be more help offered by the state," Cameron told the newspaper. "They just say, 'You don't qualify.' "

    While Cameron's actions may be ethically questionable, they reflect an increasingly common struggle for Illinoisans living with mental health issues or relatives who need care. According to a 2011 report by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) titled "State Mental Health Cuts: A National Crisis," Illinois tops the nation in mental health cuts following the closure of six of the Chicago's 12 mental health clinics and two state institutions this year.

    Lynn Cameron is currently at the Michael Dunn Facility in Roane County, Tenn. while officials make plans for her long-term care, WVLT-TV reports. Two of Illinois' comparable live-in care facilities were closed in a cost-cutting move earlier this month that displaced roughly 600 patients to shave $20 million off the state budget.

    I think the mother researched the situation and did the best she could do with the resources she had at the time. There is something to be said for attempting to give Lynn a better life. Seriously. It is amazing how we praise people for their unselfish and giving act when placing a baby or young child for adoption, but, can't see that this woman recognized that keeping Lynn was depriving Lynn of opportunities or perhaps even placing Lynn in a situation where she would eventually end up neglected, abused or harmed. We don't know the situation at home, but, the mother...in her own way...is looking out for Lynn.



    BBM. Thank you. We're on the same page. Thank you for finding the words I was unable to find.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  39. #95
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    Quote Originally Posted by SyraKelly View Post
    If she brought her to the state b/c it had the best health care-then why didn't she drop her off at a hospital?

    When the safe haven laws changed, and that father brought his entire family of kids..... I think parents thought they could not bring children to a hospital past a certain age and not face criminal charges.

    Things are very very difficult in IL right now. My sons godmom works with trusts for the disabled. She has to know all the ins and outs of all the new laws with regards to funding from the state for the disabled. I don't understand all of it, but I trust her with my life and my sons life...... and I know it is not pretty right now. Not pretty at all for those with disabled family who need any financial assistance of any kind from the state.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  41. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    I am not questioning the reasons why she did it-I understand the reason why-but I don't and never will understand the way she did it!!

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  43. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by SyraKelly View Post
    If she brought her to the state b/c it had the best health care-then why didn't she drop her off at a hospital?
    It appears (according to an article I posted) they went into the bar to use the bathroom. At some point, while the mother was in there the police arrived and then the mother saw the opportunity to take off. Desperate people do desperate things. I hope this case becomes a case study or catalyst to empower those who advocate for funding, services and support for those with mental health and developmental delays. Most people, who repeatedly ask for help and are denied, eventually do very drastic things. In fact, even the police stated she was not harmed or endangered in anyway. So maybe the answer lies in what happened at the bar while they used the restroom. If mom was in the bathroom and Lynn wandered out and someone called the police...it doesn't seem like she "dropped her off". Maybe mom saw that as her divine sign and left out the back door. So...we need more information before we trash the mother.

    The real issue is the fact that this woman repeatedly asked for help from the state and was denied over and over. The mother no longer had guardianship for Lynn as Lynn was an adult and usually they assign a state appointment advocate/guardian. In that situation, the mother was caring for Lynn, but had no rights to do anything on her behalf without approval, including things that would help the mother better care for her. Those situations are really difficult. Technically, the mother would need a signed consent from the guardian to even take Lynn to the dentist or doctor. If she looked for help or placement and the guardian thought Lynn should stay with the family, the mother could not legally initiate a search. Once 18, even someone with Lynn’s profound disabilities, people have a right to direct their own care and it can get very difficult for the caregiver if they have no say. Also at 18 or 19 they "graduate from high school" so the family lost 8 hours a day of caregiving help. That is a huge loss of support services. She asked for help…over and over and over. We can sit here and feel better about how we would never do what she did and play into the sensational media hype or we can feel very uncomfortable that we live in a country where a woman, who was denied help over and over by her state, felt the only thing left she could do was to walk away from a profoundly delayed child who she has cared for day in and day out for 19 years. What is happening in our country to make someone this desperate? And what can we do to help others in similar situations?
    Last edited by LucyOso; 07-11-2012 at 12:09 AM.

  44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LucyOso For This Useful Post:


  45. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
    It appears (according to an article I posted) they went into the bar to use the bathroom. At some point, while the mother was in there the police arrived and then the mother saw the opportunity to take off mother. Desperate people do desperate things. I hope this case becomes a case study or catalyst to empower those who advocate for funding, services and support for those with mental health and developmental delays. Most people, who repeatedly ask for help and are denied, eventually do very drastic things.

    The real issue is the fact that this woman repeatedly asked for help from the state and was denied over and over. The mother no longer had guardianship for Lynn as Lynn was an adult and usually they assign a state appointment advocate/guardian. In that situation, the mother was caring for Lynn, but had no rights to do anything on her behalf without approval, including things that would help the mother better care for her. Those situations are really difficult. Technically, the mother would need a signed consent from the guardian to even take Lynn to the dentist or doctor. If she looked for help or placement and the guardian thought Lynn should stay with the family, the mother could not legally initiate a search. Once 18, even someone with Lynn’s profound disabilities, people have a right to direct their own care and it can get very difficult for the caregiver if they have no say. She asked for help…over and over and over. We can sit here and feel better about how we would never do what she did and play into the sensational media hype or we can feel very uncomfortable that we live in a country where a woman, who was denied help over and over by her state, felt the only thing left she could do was to walk away from a profoundly delayed child who she has cared for day in and day out for 19 years. What is happening in our country to make someone this desperate? And what can we do to help others in similar situations?
    I understand all this-I really do-I have a mentally challenge sister-my other sister has been an advocate for the mentally challenged people for over 25 yrs-she has been very outspoken on the fund cutting across the country-
    Like I said earlier-she could have dropped her off in a safe place & not a bar!

  46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  47. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyOso View Post
    It appears (according to an article I posted) they went into the bar to use the bathroom. At some point, while the mother was in there the police arrived and then the mother saw the opportunity to take off mother. Desperate people do desperate things. I hope this case becomes a case study or catalyst to empower those who advocate for funding, services and support for those with mental health and developmental delays. Most people, who repeatedly ask for help and are denied, eventually do very drastic things.

    The real issue is the fact that this woman repeatedly asked for help from the state and was denied over and over. The mother no longer had guardianship for Lynn as Lynn was an adult and usually they assign a state appointment advocate/guardian. In that situation, the mother was caring for Lynn, but had no rights to do anything on her behalf without approval, including things that would help the mother better care for her. Those situations are really difficult. Technically, the mother would need a signed consent from the guardian to even take Lynn to the dentist or doctor. If she looked for help or placement and the guardian thought Lynn should stay with the family, the mother could not legally initiate a search. Once 18, even someone with Lynn’s profound disabilities, people have a right to direct their own care and it can get very difficult for the caregiver if they have no say. She asked for help…over and over and over. We can sit here and feel better about how we would never do what she did and play into the sensational media hype or we can feel very uncomfortable that we live in a country where a woman, who was denied help over and over by her state, felt the only thing left she could do was to walk away from a profoundly delayed child who she has cared for day in and day out for 19 years. What is happening in our country to make someone this desperate? And what can we do to help others in similar situations?
    Wow - I hope this lands on Governor Patrick Quinn's desk and I hope it makes him think about all the cuts they are doing and makes them change things to things the affect PEOPLE don't get the cuts. I feel for the mother and hope things do work out. Lynn is safe and I hope things go well for her. And the rest of the family.

    Right now, I don't know how happy I am about living in IL. I am (mostly) a lifelong resident. But, I just read the book Mary, Me: In Search of a Lost Lifetime by Rick Baker which is about an unidentified woman who was in the custody of the State of IL for 50 years without them learning her id, and she went through hell, she had amnesia and put her in various state asylums until they closed the one she was in and she went to a nursing home till she died. She was from Iowa. And reported missing there and all. Very sad book, but I recommend it. Out of print /(from 1989) and expensive to buy, but, libraries seem to have it. At least in IL. LOL I got it in three days with a holiday.






    All kinds of hugs!

    ROSIE



  48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WholeLottaRosie For This Useful Post:


  49. #100
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    71,853
    According to the article linked upthread the mother stated she thought it was a restaurant, not a bar. She knew there were people around. She kept her daughter in view until someone safe reached out to offer help.

    As for the state cutting so much funding. Getting a little OT here, but while I was searching for info on state funding cuts for the disabled, I happened to run across an article with regards to cutting funding for DCFS. In this particular area, maybe Cook or Chicago? ( I did not pay close attention to which area of IL), a cut in DCFS funding will make 35,000 children in foster care no longer able to qualify. Those in foster care will go from 50,000 to 15,000 according to this particular article.

    IOW, there are 35,000 children out there which the state deemed needed to be in the care of someone other than their parents, who suddenly are deemed 'safe' or no longer in need of being in foster care because the state changed the funding. Now that is some very scary stuff.

    IIRC, most of these cuts went into effect July 1 of this year, and I am honestly afraid this is just the beginning.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

  50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Autistic girl's service dog found dead
    By mysticrose in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
  2. Opera Gives Voice to Autistic Girl
    By spamelope in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
  3. Autistic girl and sisters kidnapped by non-custodial father
    By Taximom in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
  4. 8 year old Autistic Girl Handcuffed at School
    By MeoW333 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:18 AM
  5. Missing autistic girl in my area
    By MitchLite in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •