Thread: CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 1981

CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 1981

Natalie Wood's Cause Of Death Changed From 'Accident' To 'Undetermend"

Actress Natalie Wood's cause of death, formerly ruled as accidental drowning, has been formally changed to "undetermined."

The 43-year-old was found drowned in 1981, after a night of yachting off the Californian coast with her husband, Robert Wagner, and actor Christopher Walken. The Los Angeles Coroner's office ruled her death as accidental. The coroner's report noted that a night of heavy drinking could have caused her to slip and fall...

In November 2011, however, the case was reopened after Dennis Davern, the yacht's captain, came forward with new information about the incident. Davern said he believes that Wagner was responsible for Wood's death.

According to Davern, Wagner and Wood had been involved in an intense argument earlier that night ... When Wood went missing, Davern claims, Wagner asked him not to look for her.

... Some of the bruises found on Wood's body have been determined to be inconsistent with death by drowning.

The detectives noted that they still believe drowning to be the ultimate cause of Wood's death. However, the suspicious bruises were one factor that led the L.A. County Coroner to change the cause of death on Wood's death certificate from "accident" to "undetermined."

... more at link below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D176572

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

I never believed Natalie Wood died due to accidental drowning - not then, not now.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Woodland For This Useful Post:

I never believed it either. I was only about 14 when it happened but I remember and I think the sediment back then was that it was not an accident.

Didnt Christopher Walkin say over the years that he was suspicious too? He was on the boat.

Glad they have categorized this and hope it doesnt collect dust for another 30 yrs.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:

Also, I always thought she was very beautiful and extremely talented. It's such a shame.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:

Bumping. Has anyone heard any updates?

Did Hollywood star Natalie Wood walk in on husband Robert Wagner and Christopher Walken having sex on the night she drowned?

"Now the National Enquirer claims to have uncovered documentation - an official lifeguard log - which suggests Wagner and Walken had engaged in a sexual act and that Wood may have walked in on them and set off the chain of events which lead to her untimely and still unexplained death."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PRP6zR2v

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Owner of yacht which Natalie Wood died on 28 years ago puts it up for sale claiming it's 'haunted' by West Side Story star

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Hrl2tkrY

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

The movie that she was making "Brainstorm'' is more than eerie too.........
    Just My Opinion

“You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to."
    (Robin Williams)

Natalie Wood (1938–1981)

Natalie Wood was born on July 20, 1938, in San Francisco, California, as Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko. Her parents, Maria Stepanovna (Zudilova) and Nikolai Stepanovich Zakharenko, were Russian-born émigrés, of Ukrainian and Russian descent, who spoke barely comprehensible English; they changed the family name to Gurdin after becoming US citizens....Born: Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko July 20, 1938 in San Francisco, California, USA

Died: November 29, 1981 (age 43) in Santa Catalina Island, California, USA

Some Links:

Filmography

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000081/

----------------------
    The Mysterious Death of Natalie Wood

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/sho...ataliewood.htm

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

The original investigation was closed within a matter of days. Outrageous.

Robert Wagner is not cooperating with authorities. If he has nothing to hide, what's his problem?

Hoping for justice for Natalie.

In memory of James Mazzara
    1958 - 1978

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noirdame79 For This Useful Post:

I didn't get a chance (line was moving too fast, LOL) to read the whole Enquirer article, but I was a big follower of this case over the years. This makes some sense. A Natalie affair with Chris Walken you would not think would lead to murder or even accidental death. But at the time, a renowned and beloved -- married to a beautiful american icon -- macho TV star and a movie star at the top of his game having gay sex, now that would have been career-threatening. If not ending.

Enquirer has the best crew of attorneys and they often break big stories. They have very interesting hearsay witnesses in their article, along with a police or coast guard report mentioning the gay sexual activity.

Natalie Wood might well have been completely shocked to see both her husband and costar so engaged. She also had the right to be jealous of her husband CHEATING. After all, if Natalie had had an affair with the then handsome Walken, surely Wagner would have been upset enough to split the marriage, right? So Natalie had the right to be THAT angry and jealous, and she may well have told the two inebriated lovers she would RUIN THEM and stormed out. Now you have two drunk stars at the top of their careers with a motive for some kind of trouble.

I think I saw the article mentioning something about Natalie being knocked out before she hit the water....

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yaelle For This Useful Post:

I cannot believe no one anywhere on the web is discussing, seriously, this case! This is a huge Hollywood true crime mystery.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yaelle For This Useful Post:

I see this as an accidental drowning. I think she was drunk and tried to stop the lifeboat hitting against the side of the boat and fell in the water. They all had been drinking quite heavily that night. There will always be gossip attached to this case but I can't see anything changing as far as this being an accidental death.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Bernadette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Bernadette View Post
    I see this as an accidental drowning. I think she was drunk and tried to stop the lifeboat hitting against the side of the boat and fell in the water. They all had been drinking quite heavily that night. There will always be gossip attached to this case but I can't see anything changing as far as this being an accidental death.
    Her death is no longer considered an accident. It is being investigated by homicide detectives, as it should have been from the start. The bruises on her body were consistent with a struggle, not accidental drowning. Which means she was abused before she was put into the water. While Natalie did have alcohol in her system, she was not drunk. If you are a Natalie Wood fan, as I am, you should know of her great fear of water, especially dark water. There's no way she would have gone out to re-tie the dinghy (and they don't make noise, by the way), or much less gone out in it. She was in her nightgown. The cause of death has been changed from accidental to undetermined.

There is no logical reason for why Robert Wagner waited hours before calling for help. And he contacted the Coast Guard after he contacted his attorney. There's something wrong with that picture. And his story about how he went down to the bedroom to find her missing has been exposed as a lie. Witnesses have come forward who heard him and Natalie arguing on the deck that night, not just the captain of the boat.

Wagner has hired a criminal defense attorney, and as I stated in my previous post, is not cooperating with investigators. He was seen out with Jill St. John a mere ten weeks after Natalie's death, Valentine's Day, 1982.

Natalie suffered the cruel fate she feared all her life. Two young girls were robbed for their mother.

Justice needs to be served in this case.

In memory of James Mazzara
    1958 - 1978

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noirdame79 For This Useful Post:

There is so much suspicion. I'm sure some people know a lot more than they are saying. So very sad for Natalie and her kids. If Walken knows that much more, who does he think he is, hiding it forever? I really doubt he had anything to do with any crime if there was one. But was he a part of the cover up? And was it, like Teddy Kennedy, only to save his career?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Yaelle For This Useful Post: