Celtic treasure hoard found on Jersey dates back to 50 B.C., Julius Caesar's invasion

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Silver and gold discovered among record £10million Jersey
hoard of coins that date back to Julius Caesar's invading army
(Daily Mail)
Silver and gold has been discovered by experts working on the record £10million coin hoard that was discovered in Jersey last week.

The haul contains between 30,000 and 50,000 Celtic coins and was discovered by metal detector enthusiasts Reg Mead and Richard Miles.
---
The coins are thought to date from the year 50BC while the armies of Julius Caesar were advancing north-westwards through France, driving the tribal communities towards the coast.

Some of them would have crossed the sea to Jersey, finding a safe place of refuge away from Caesar's campaigns.

The only place to store their wealth was to bury it in a secret place.
---
much, much more, including pictures and a short video, at link above

They are lovely!

If you have a metal detector, this story should make you get it out and go tromping around. Wish I had one now.

Me too, I've always wanted one. I have a few coins from the Roman Republic, but none from the Celts. Holding one of those republican-era coins, all over 2,000 years old, one holds in effect the hopes and dreams, the culture and the knowledge, of a whole race, all in that one small, round thing.

A bit bogus? Maybe not. Just an impression.
Russell
Not sure what you would consider 'bogus' about it - 30,000 - 50,000 Celtic coins from Gaul when "the previous record find was was in 1935 at La Marquanderie in Jersey when more than 11,000 were discovered." In Britain itself, in total, only 45,000 Celtic era coins have ever been found.

This from an Independent article:
The coins are thought to be worth between £100 and £200 each, giving a potential value of £3m to £10m. Jersey Heritage said the coins weighed about three-quarters of a tonne and were of Armorican origin (Brittany and Normandy) from a tribe called the Coriosolitae, who were based around Rance in the area of modern-day St Malo and Dinan.

My goodness they are beautiful. I love Celtic art, I hope that they show the jewellery that has been found, that tantalising glimpse is not enough

Great find. I love reading articles about discovered treasure sites.

Even though the closest treasure I could find around here are railroad nails I want a metal detector so bad. I'm at that age to be considered eccentric and I can see me at the crack of dawn wandering about with one.

Jersey Celtic coin hoard contains gold and silver items
---
[P]ainstaking work is being undertaken to evaluate what else exists within the find. As the earth around the metal is removed, a number of items have been exposed that indicate the find may include items other than coins, made from precious metals such as silver and gold.
---
Curator of Archaeology Olga Finch says: ‘It is still very early to tell exactly what is in the find but we do know it is remarkable from a historical perspective. There has been an incredible amount of media and academic interest in the find and it is very important that the whole project, from excavation to when it finally goes on public display, is thoroughly documented.'
---
more at jersey.isle-news.com link above

I'm Celtic-American though I normally just say Irish-American.

But I want them to share with me. So I'll be a Celtic-American from now on!

:twocents:

I am super tired, and going through some trials and tribulations.

I'm chalking that up to why I thought this thread was about Joisey...as in New Jersey. And I was wondering how that stuff made it to the Garden State, and when.

I think it's time for bed...

But the coins are utterly stunning.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members