Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    I dont think she should be blamed per se-I think it is time for Nancy to take a good long look in the mirror. JMVHO.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I can think of three suicides that occurred directly after NG convicted and ridiculed people on her murdertainment program. They may or may not have been guilty, but it is clear that the pressures they experienced after NG broadcast her lopsided, often unsubstantiated opinion were too much. A talking head shouldn't have any suicides connected with his or her opinion.
    Did NG light the fire that burned this woman do death? I think not. The woman chose to do this. How anyone can blame NG for that, I will never understand.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful One For This Useful Post:

gngr~snap is online now Verified Professional Pediatric Triage/Phone Nurse
    http://youtu.be/GkVp_hScHGA

Here is the segment I watched... I tuned in when NG said she was on shot #9.
    At first I thought she was DRINKING them on air!!! Then I realized what she was doing. What a precious baby he was! Matt Z stated that the dad reported the mother had been drinking ALL WEEKEND!!!

Sad story all around!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gngr~snap For This Useful Post:

not a fan of NG at all!!! I think she is all about "shock news" and she doesn't care who she disrespects in that process.

It bothers me to no end that she always gives pet names to suspects and even sometimes victims. Recently there was a story about a landlord who found a deceased infant in a freezer. NG started calling the story "freezerbaby" .. extremely tacky and extremely disrespectful.

As for this story.. it is such a sad, sad story. The Mother didn't mean to kill her baby.. Baby probably woke up .. she tried to console baby and passed out ... the only reason so many people want to hate on her is because she was drunk. Please don't misunderstand me, I think what she did was a very bad decision... and clearly that guilt was way to much for her to live with...

Just the fact that she burned herself to death ... can u imagine how painful that must have been ... she had many options that would have been less painful...but she chose to conflict that much pain... that is some strong guilt... I hope she rests in peace

oh and Hello my name is Jenny and I am brand new here ... hope you don't mind that I just jumped in with my own 2 cents lol ... i tend to do that alot ... feel free to ignore me lol

Hello JFA - Jenny - and welcome to WS.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jenny and WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you completely.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    I dont think she should be blamed per se-I think it is time for Nancy to take a good long look in the mirror. JMVHO.
    I think that time has passed and gone.
    It's seems the chances are slim to none NG is going to change.
    Still, I don't think she is the one to blame for this woman's actions.
    Just my opinion

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
    Plus, whose to say it was NG's show that prompted the outpouring of nasty comments? Anyone who heard about the case on the news, in the paper, through word-of-mouth, etc. could have decided to verbally assault this mom. Surely NG alone isn't responsible for all of the attention the case received.
    NG likes to get people all riled up. We've seen that over and over again.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:

Thanx for the Welcome wfgodot & believe09

If we are going to blame NG than we also have to point fingers at society and social media. Sometimes I wonder why is it that lately it seems more children are coming up missing or dead... but, maybe it's always been there, we were just shielded by it all.. nowadays the internet has become more of an instant news source with the availability for outsiders to "post" their opinions (kind of like mine right now lol) negative or bad. For some reason people feel safe to post the most mean hearted things on the internet. People have lost all human empathy or just plain respect for others because of the internet.

IMO the problem with society these days is that they are media minions and seem to think that if they read it on the internet than it must be true. I am most guilty of searching for as much information as I can on certain "hot topics" ..I was and still am always baffled by how much information a person can find on a high profile criminal trial .. and I always walk away feeling guilty.. like I am nosy and just invaded someone's privacy... privacy on the internet .. hmmm..

anyways ... thanks for letting me ramble .. probably makes no sense lol

ciao

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFA For This Useful Post:

Woe to those who would feast upon human sorrow.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

I too don't think NG should be blamed for her death. She took that into her own hands. You can't blame someone else for it.

And who drinks a fifth of vodka after just giving birth?? Sounds like she was breastfeeding and that's pretty selfish, imo. Sounds like she may have had a drinking problem that she should have gotten help for before she had a baby.
    So...when kids are bullied and bullied and commit suicide, the bully's (or is that bullies?) bear no responsibility?

Not attacking you, dear Hopeful, just playing devil's advocate.
    I am Darren Wilson!

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I guess if I could see this as an accident, I would agree.

What this "mom" did was murder IMO.

Sorry, but I have a hard time sympathizing with that.

I saw the "vodka mom" show and I agreed with NG.

The mom was neglectful and single handedly caused her baby's death.

I understand alcoholism (much too well). I lived my childhood in a home with an alcoholic.

There is no excuse to put your children at risk. If you can't help yourself, at least get help for your children.

Anything is better than dead.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I don't see it as bullying.

It's not like this mom was an innocent person who NG decided to wage war upon.

NG was covering a news story.
    That's her job.

She didn't make the mom drink the vodka. She didn't place the baby on the sofa with the mom.
    Mom did all of that herself.

Instead of placing blame on others, we need to get back to personal accountability. I feel that's getting lost in our world.

The death of that baby and the suicide was by no one's actions but the mother's.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    So...when kids are bullied and bullied and commit suicide, the bully's (or is that bullies?) bear no responsibility?

Not attacking you, dear Hopeful, just playing devil's advocate.
    I am not sure what you mean by responsibility. I've yet to hear about a single case in US where someone was charged with driving somebody to suicide.
    Just my opinion

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    The woman killed her baby because she was drunk.
    NG did a show on it.

This was no "accident".
    This was NEGLECT that caused that baby's death.

It is NG's job to cover crimes. It was a crime.

Nobody should ever sugar coat child abuse IMO. And it was child abuse.

JMO

I agree with you, she was negligent to the nth degree. But as to whether or not this was an accident, to me (read: imo) it is an accident (brought on by an act of negligence) -- she didn't deliberately say to herself, "Tonight, I shall roll over on my child until he is dead."

I am not advocating drinking while you are pregnant, drinking while sleeping with a baby, child abuse in any way, shape or form. (Just wanted to be clear).

I'm sure she couldn't live with herself for what she'd done. It is sad, on so many levels.
    I am Darren Wilson!

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by responsibility. I've yet to hear about a single case in US where someone was charged with driving somebody to suicide.
    I guess what I mean (and again, this is only my opinion) is that the old adage, "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me," is untrue -- and we've all read about cases where people (mostly young adults) have committed suicide after being bullied. If it weren't for the bullying that pushed them over the edge, that person would probably still be alive today. People need to take responsibility for how they treat each other -- to say that someone is blameless, because, hey, so-and-so had issues, and they would have killed themselves, anyway, is just cold-hearted, imo.
    (Again, I am not saying NG is solely responsible for this woman's suicide -- just that her comments could have been what pushed her over the edge. Obviously, she probably wasn't thinking rationally to have killed herself.)

End of social commentary.

Thank you.

Carry on.
    I am Darren Wilson!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I don't see it as bullying.

It's not like this mom was an innocent person who NG decided to wage war upon.

NG was covering a news story.
    That's her job.

She didn't make the mom drink the vodka. She didn't place the baby on the sofa with the mom.
    Mom did all of that herself.

Instead of placing blame on others, we need to get back to personal accountability. I feel that's getting lost in our world.

The death of that baby and the suicide was by no one's actions but the mother's.

JMO
    I agree. NG should bear some personal accountability for how she affects others, as well as the masses. Perhaps even more accountability than the rest of us, because none of us have a cable TV show that reaches the masses.

I don't agree with what this mother did, neither in caring for her child, or her suicide. However, I also don't agree with how NG uses her "power" on the airwaves.
    I am Darren Wilson!

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    I guess what I mean (and again, this is only my opinion) is that the old adage, "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me," is untrue -- and we've all read about cases where people (mostly young adults) have committed suicide after being bullied. If it weren't for the bullying that pushed them over the edge, that person would probably still be alive today. People need to take responsibility for how they treat each other -- to say that someone is blameless, because, hey, so-and-so had issues, and they would have killed themselves, anyway, is just cold-hearted, imo.
    (Again, I am not saying NG is solely responsible for this woman's suicide -- just that her comments could have been what pushed her over the edge. Obviously, she probably wasn't thinking rationally to have killed herself.)

End of social commentary.

Thank you.

Carry on.
    We do have freedom of speech and people are allowed to express their opinion. So I still don't understand what exactly this responsibility is.
    Just my opinion

35. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Did NG light the fire that burned this woman do death? I think not. The woman chose to do this. How anyone can blame NG for that, I will never understand.
    I believe that NG's comments were one of many matches responsible for lighting the fire, that day.

The others could well have been guilt, sorrow, mental illness, self-hatred, and the list goes on and on.

All I know is, if it were me, and I knew that someone had killed themselves after I ripped them up one side and down the other (regardless of whether it was deserved [insert the definition of "grace" here] I would feel horrible, for the simple fact that MY words, MY actions, could have played a part in this.

I am also filled with sorrow for that baby, who never got a chance to live.
    I am Darren Wilson!

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    We do have freedom of speech and people are allowed to express their opinion. So I still don't understand what exactly this responsibility is.
    I'm sorry, jjenny, that I can't explain it any better.
    I am Darren Wilson!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

I see both sides.

NG maybe should show a little more tact, and Lord knows i can't stand to listen to her anymore,but as jjenny said, if the accusations were true, then NG technically didn't do anything wrong.

In all honesty, I think that if she didn't want to hear NG say mean things about her, she should have turned off the tv and stayed off the net. She did something incredibly neglectful and dangerous and killed her own child as a result. That is going to bring just as much derision from acquaintances and friends as from TV "celebrities". I'd be more inclined to say that she killed herself because alcohol is a depressant and even without it, she had a reason to be depressed. Sometimes depressed people kill themselves, even if no one calls them names.

P.S. On a more personal note, I think NG is the biggest bully and bull-poop artist out there, generally speaking.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

How do we know if this woman even saw NG's show? Why are we assuming that she burned herself to death because of something NG said?

I think the fact that she had two DUI's that month, and also ignored her husbands warning about sleeping on the couch with the baby, right before she passed out and killed the child, is much more of a trigger than anything NG said.

NG drives me nuts at times as well. But if she did not rant and go all hysterical, her show would have been cancelled a long time ago. She does it on purpose, so she can continue to stay on the air, and talk about missing kids and murdered wives.

Her 'nasty' attitude towards her guests is just an act. I know someone who used to intern for her, and she said that NG was very good friends with those people, and just pretended to berate them and be rude, just for the drama of it. if they do not create that kind of dramatic effect, then they would have no ratings. And with low ratings, they would be cancelled.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

I deleted my post because I didnt realize that she wasnt a guest. FWIW, the media link indicates that the baby was 3 weeks old in the headline and 3 days old in the article...which is confusing.

I am still wondering about dad and why he simply warned her instead of preventing little man from being taken to the couch. He was there too, watching his wife party, am I correct?

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    I dont think it is a technical issue. I think it is a moral one, and it says just as much about us the viewership as it does about her giving us what we want.

Nancy earns her money by exploiting these situations and weighing in judgement. I *think* she styles herself as a voice for victims. I dont know anymore because I stopped watching her years ago.

I would like to know what the guests are told ahead of air time. Someone must know that-pick one of her flavor of the week guests. One of them must be willing to share what happens when her folks first call to book you.

If Nancy's peeps said "look-she is going to skewer you. Be ready." Well then, that is fair warning. If they said "Hey, she just wants you to tell your side of the story..." kwim?

In any case, mom paid the ultimate price for her carelessness. If dad pointed out that she had been drinking all weekend, and that it was dangerous for her to sleep with baby why didnt he make sure she didnt do it?
    I agree it is a moral one. I believe it is vital that there is at least one show that discusses missing children every week, and it is a moral decision on her part to try and keep hers on the air. I don't think she is that hard on people.

The people that know she is going to be rude to them are her regular panel guests. The defense attorneys etc. It is part of the shtick.

But i don't think she is that rude to her guests that are on because of recent crimes. Many people here are saying they stopped watching years ago, and then begin criticizing how she does the show. Is that fair?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

I don't believe for a second that NG is acting when she is being rude. It comes very naturally to her. And why would that increase rating? I for one don't want to watch it because of her behavior.
    Just my opinion

49. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast