Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Many people here are saying they stopped watching years ago, and then begin criticizing how she does the show. Is that fair?
    Respectfully snipped. Has she changed her formula then? She is rude to on air talent but not to guests?
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Respectfully snipped. Has she changed her formula then? She is rude to on air talent but not to guests?
    Yep, pretty much. She has a squad of regular panel guests, like defense attorneys and shrinks. And she is somewhat rude to some of them, and it makes you wonder if they will ever be back again. But they are. And then my friends daughter told me that it was kind of scripted that way. They do it on purpose, and laugh about it afterwards.

She is very polite to her guests these day, imo. And until somebody else does a 5 day a week show devoted to missing kids, she will have my thanks and my respect.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I don't believe for a second that NG is acting when she is being rude. It comes very naturally to her. And why would that increase rating? I for one don't want to watch it because of her behavior.
    I believe my friend. She worked there an entire summer as an intern.

Being 'rude' does come naturally because she was a dogged prosecutor. But she can turn it off and on. She is a Scorpio, and is acid tongued at times. But she does truly care about victims.

And it increases ratings because audiences like drama and vitriol. They don't like boring, considerate people, sadly. It is hard to get people to watch a show about missing kids. She needs a 'hook' to keep the ratings up.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Yep, pretty much. She has a squad of regular panel guests, like defense attorneys and shrinks. And she is somewhat rude to some of them, and it makes you wonder if they will ever be back again. But they are. And then my friends daughter told me that it was kind of scripted that way. They do it on purpose, and laugh about it afterwards.

She is very polite to her guests these day, imo. And until somebody else does a 5 day a week show devoted to missing kids, she will have my thanks and my respect.
    Why doesnt she just do a straighforward show on missing and murdered? I would watch it...OK maybe I wouldnt watch it if it were her, but we would have to see. In any case, there is a market for it. JMVHO.

I think I am pulling us OT.

My dissatisfaction with Nancy, other than the histrionics, has to do with her research. The Caylee Anthony case was an excellent example of her recycling information rather than having access to anything new or important. I dont know that this is different-did she base her rant off of a newspaper article or was there some legitimate background done where she verified the whole story etc?
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

I believe my friend. She worked there an entire summer as an intern.

Being 'rude' does come naturally because she was a dogged prosecutor. But she can turn it off and on. She is a Scorpio, and is acid tongued at times. But she does truly care about victims.

And it increases ratings because audiences like drama and vitriol. They don't like boring, considerate people, sadly. It is hard to get people to watch a show about missing kids. She needs a 'hook' to keep the ratings up.
    I've yet to see someone say how they love NG being rude and watch the show because of it. In fact the opposite appears to be true.
    Just my opinion

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

In any case, are there charges pending against dad as well? He endangered his son by allowing someone who was not capable of caregiving be the primary caregiver to his child. That is how I see this based upon the news reports.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    If like to know more about the dad too.

IMO it doesn't lesson the Mom's total neglect, but I'd like to know if he neglected too.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...&videofeed=999

CBS article from 2 hours ago.

ETA: the article says she came home after drinking a fifth of vodka and went to sleep on the couch with the baby. It doesn't mention Jason at all.
    Wonder if he even knew she had drank the vodka.

I'm still digging for info.

Hard on this darn phone.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

I don't think I am alone when I say I am the harshest critic of myself, I can beat myself up mentally better than my ex ever could, and he gave it his all!!! Nancy Grace has nothin on him!

And I agree the father should be looked at as well, not for her death, but for leaving that poor baby on the couch with his mother.
    Last edited by Peazzzer; 07-10-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Didn't finish my thought.
    JMO, MOO, Doing my best. I am not perfect and I don't expect you to be either.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peazzzer For This Useful Post:

So when did he get a chance to counsel her about sleeping with her child? And it seems apparent that he knew she had consumed the vodka, at least in the previous article.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Seems the child's father did warn her:

"Mr Medrano had warned his wife that she risked suffocating the infant if she slept with him on the couch, according to the St Paul Star Tribune."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz20GidHvZM

Self-immolation seems to me to be an especially painful way out. While I in NO way condone the choices she made that led to her baby's death, I do wonder if she chose that exit as some form of public penance.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ynotdivein For This Useful Post:

Here you go folks-
    According to the criminal complaint filed last month, the baby's father came home Nov. 21 to find his wife drunk and sleeping on the couch with the boy and warned her against such behavior. The next morning, Medrano woke her husband, yelling, "JJ, the baby is dead."
    OK well charges should have been pending against him too, right? And where did HE come home from??

From the County Attorney-

County Attorney Pete Orput said he was saddened by the news and until now believed Medrano had been seeking the county's help for chemical dependency and parenting counseling. "She chose a permanent solution to a temporary problem," Orput said.
    http://m.startribune.com/local/?id=161793165

(I love how the Star Tribune calls Nancy Grace "flame throwing")
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Warned her against doing it??? I dont know...head shaking. She was too impaired to be making decisions.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    Seems the child's father did warn her:

"Mr Medrano had warned his wife that she risked suffocating the infant if she slept with him on the couch, according to the St Paul Star Tribune."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz20GidHvZM

Self-immolation seems to me to be an especially painful way out. While I in NO way condone the choices she made that led to her baby's death, I do wonder if she chose that exit as some form of public penance.
    I wondered that, as well.

Was her husband drinking? If not, as the more "responsible" adult present, I'm suprised more outrage and derision is not thrown his way, because all he did was say, in an off-hand manner, it appears, "uh...you might not want to do that, Hon...", but did nothing to stop it.

Unless otherwise stated as fact with a link or reference provided, all posts are my OPINION only.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

OK-now here is some detail that answers a question I asked earlier about source material for Nancy Grace:

Grace said during the show that she had attempted to contact Medrano at her house. She then spoke to a reporter from her show and two officials unfamiliar with the case as she theorized that Medrano had been sleeping on her child for hours. "There was a long period of time that baby's life could have been saved," Grace said.
    My interpretation is that she relied on guesswork and sensationalism for the segment. Umm, perhaps that is considered entertainment and this is more consistent with the belief I had regarding the fact checking she does. Or doesnt do.

Basically, it was a hatchet job.

ETA: For those of you who wondered if she even watched the segment

Maria Phillips, Medrano's younger sister, said Medrano was "shaking and couldn't take a breath" as she watched Grace's show. "She got depressed and said life wasn't worth living. She said she couldn't live with herself."
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

OK-now here is some detail that answers a question I asked earlier about source material for Nancy Grace:

My interpretation is that she relied on guesswork and sensationalism for the segment. Umm, perhaps that is considered entertainment and this is more consistent with the belief I had regarding the fact checking she does. Or doesnt do.

Maria Phillips, Medrano's younger sister, said Medrano was "shaking and couldn't take a breath" as she watched Grace's show. "She got depressed and said life wasn't worth living. She said she couldn't live with herself."

(u/b bm from the believe09's post...don't know how to "include" it)
    Straw that broke the camel's back..... (jmo/imo/moo)

Unless otherwise stated as fact with a link or reference provided, all posts are my OPINION only.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

She couldn't live with herself because of what she saw on NG? But not because she had drunkenly smothered her baby? So it was the bad publicity that upset her the most?

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post

(u/b bm from the believe09's post...don't know how to "include" it)
    Straw that broke the camel's back..... (jmo/imo/moo)
    I am not going to lay this on NG. This woman had two DUI's in one month. She was driving drunk, by her own choice. Then she drank a liter of vodka, while caring for her newborn baby. Again, very poor choices, and they were her own choices.

And maybe it would have been more gracious of nancy not to comment upon that poor baby's brutal death. But that is not her way.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

She couldn't live with herself because of what she saw on NG? But not because she had drunkenly smothered her baby? So it was the bad publicity that upset her the most?
    Not to mention the show was like a month before the suicide.
    It's not like she watched it then ran outside and lit herself on fire.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

I am not going to lay this on NG. This woman had two DUI's in one month. She was driving drunk, by her own choice. Then she drank a liter of vodka, while caring for her newborn baby. Again, very poor choices, and they were her own choices.

And maybe it would have been more gracious of nancy not to comment upon that poor baby's brutal death. But that is not her way.
    And IMO the story needed to be told.

Child abuse/neglect should never be ignored or sugar coated IMO.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Shaking and couldn't catch her breath? That sounds like the 'shakes' to me.

If it took angry words from Nancy Grace, to wake this woman up, then so be it. Up until watching Nancy call her out on it, are we to believe that she was just fine with her child's brutal death?

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

I am not laying her death at NG's door. I am exploring the role her husband played in the child's death and I am dissecting NG's coverage of the story and what it was based upon.

NG's coverage of the story appeared to be based upon news reports that she/her staff morphed into specific statements about how long the baby was dead and speculation regarding the reported purpling of the baby's body. They dont appear to have spoken to any of the players, including LE.

Husband, according to MSM, returned home and found his drunk wife on the sofa with his 3 week old son. According to his statement he counseled her against this behavior. And then, apparently, what...went to bed? Leaving his drunk wife sleeping on the couch with their infant?

Is that reasonable? So, if we are picking the participants apart to find out their roles and the truth and whether or not NG covered any part of that truth, I am curious as to whether or not charges of neglect were pending for Dad. Because it appears he did not take his son out of harms way.

ETA: Will NG be following up with an equally scathing set of remarks regarding him and regarding her choice of suicide?

I think not....but I guess we will see.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    And IMO the story needed to be told.

Child abuse/neglect should never be ignored or sugar coated IMO.
    I absolutely agree. So Dad should be in big trouble too.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

I agree that dad shoulders some major responsibility. Imo, he had to know how heavily she was drinking. She should not have been alone with a newborn.

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

I absolutely agree. So Dad should be in big trouble too.
    Ditto. There's no excuse for him.

50. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast