Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Vodka mom' who suffocated three-week-old baby after rolling onto
him as they slept burns herself to death after weeks of condemnation
(Daily Mail)
A mother who became known as 'Vodka mom' after passing out drunk and rolling onto her three-day-old son, suffocating him, has burned herself to death after weeks of condemnation.

Toni Annette Medrano, 29, became the subject of hate after Nancy Grace decried the mother's carelessness on her cable television talk show last month.
---
Medrano faced two counts of second-degree manslaughter, one charge for 'culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk' and a second for 'committing or attempting to commit a violation' [following the death of her son Adrian].
---
After featuring on the show, Medrano became the subject of condemnation on blogs and social networking sites.
---
more at the link above

11 June 2012 Nancy Grace transcript

Well, now Nancy's got 2 deaths on her conscience.

I think her suicide is probably more closely connected to the fact that she felt guilty and sad that killed her baby, than it is that NG called her names. JMO

NG could have just been the straw that broke the camel's back for her.

IMO NG shouldn't have ANY deaths on her conscience. She didn't make those 2 moms kill themselves.

I can tell you, if I had rolled on top of my baby and killed him/her because I was drunk out of my mind, I'd probably feel like killing myself too.

NG didn't cause this.

This woman had major issues. Issues that cost her baby's life and caused her to take her own.

JMO

As much as I don't like NG, if she didn't falsely accuse this woman, then she is not to blame for this woman's actions.

um, she was probably the subject of condemnation as soon as people heard about her crime and prior to NG's show

I cannot stand NG & do not watch her show but I'm not about to blame this on her

note to criminals: if you don't want to hear/see rude things said about you, do not turn on the tv or go on the internet (or better yet, stop committing crimes)

If someone is drinking to excess (a fifth of vodka?), and endangering their child, there are deeper issues, IMO. Those issues, coupled with grief and regret (and fear of prison - she was facing ten years), were probably the triggers.

Condolences to her family for both losses. Wish she'd chosen another route to deal with her pain and grow. Very sad.

Mr Medrano had warned his wife that she risked suffocating the infant if she slept with him on the couch, according to the St Paul Star Tribune.

...the mother had a history of heavy drinking, with two DWIs in a single month.
. From above link

Monahan said Medrano was "despondent and suicidal over personal issues."
link

Is this the case NG was covering when she brought out a fifth of vodka and was trying to make 17 drinks out of it in red silo cups on her desk - or was that something else..

It really feels terrible knowing of so much pain in the lives of those we share our earth with.

It's horrible all around.

NG can be unforgiving and doesn't listen, sometimes jumping on people, accusing them when they are not guilty at all.

She also seems to like to intrude on people's grief or personal affairs (Elizabeth Smart's appearance for one) and exposes victim family members to gruesome, graphic details with no warning. I find that horrible.

But, I agree with those who say the blame for this death likely is not NG. Clearly, this was a woman with massive problems. I share the anger that those with alcohol and drug problems have kids when they are not well or refuse to get help once they get pregnant. To me, if your kid can't get you stop, well, I don't know.

But, I also understand the seriously wounded souls of those who are addicted.

It's all just very terrible and sad.

I'm just saying if I were NG, and now two people (that I know of) killed themselves after I'd ripped them up one side and down the other on national tv (whether they deserved it or not), I'd probably consider toning down my comments a bit...for my own piece of mind, anyway. But maybe she's just not as sensitive as me, who knows? (And I'm not bashing her -- I watch her pretty regularly)

While I agree, guilt probably played a gigantic part in this woman killing herself, I wonder if the result would have been the same (if she would have committed suicide) if she'd gone on Dr. Phil, been offered gobs of mental health counselling, and been portrayed to the masses as a major part of a poor, unfortunate accident? We will never know, of course.

The saddest thing is even though she was had a drinking problem is she left 5 children behind who loved her.

I dont know how she could have picked such an awful way to kill herself. I dont know if any of her children were living in her home but I home none of them were home on the day she lit herself on fire.

This case is bad all round. I feel for the children of this mother, they are going to need a lot of emotional support as they grow.
IMO NG is a bully, what good do her searing comments do? The mother was carrying about enough shame as it was without being put in the NG worldwide stocks. Her nastiness is almost medieval.

The woman killed her baby because she was drunk.
NG did a show on it.

:waitasec:

This was no "accident".
This was NEGLECT that caused that baby's death.

It is NG's job to cover crimes. It was a crime.

Nobody should ever sugar coat child abuse IMO. And it was child abuse.

JMO

The guilt she must have felt to choose such a gruesome way to die... I can't even imagine.

Nancy Grace should stick to missing people cases.

I'm glad she covered it. Maybe somebody learned they should not get chit faced drunk and sleep with their 3 week old baby.

If you do, that baby might die. And YOU will be charged.
And people in the public will think you are horrible. And you will feel guilt.

So, mothers of young babies: lay off the booze. If you can't, get help. There is plenty of help out there. There are plenty of people that would love that baby and keep him safe.

This makes me sick. I can see why NG was so outraged when she reported on it.

JMO

I am entitled to my opinion which is that this mother had made a (utterly stupid) choice to drink, her baby died as a result, she has lost her other children, would be facing imprisonment, she was in all the newspapers etc, publicly shamed yet for NG that was not enough, she had to turn the screw that little bit tighter.

It is not as if she were getting away with something, she was in the legal process. I understand outrage when someone is getting away with something (Casey Anthony, the McCanns etc) It is the twisting of the knife that I don't get.

Each to their own I suppose

I never heard of this case until NG covered it.

I think NG reaches a lot of people.

So when she reports on child neglect and abuse, it reached masses of people who would otherwise not hear/see it.

I don't like much that she does and sometimes I watch with the TV muted, but I applaud her for bringing crimes against children to the forefront of prime time.

As much as I may dislike her, I think she makes a difference.

I can think of three suicides that occurred directly after NG convicted and ridiculed people on her murdertainment program. They may or may not have been guilty, but it is clear that the pressures they experienced after NG broadcast her lopsided, often unsubstantiated opinion were too much. A talking head shouldn't have any suicides connected with his or her opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back