Man gets back at neighbors by painting home brilliant green

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Juan Mata's maroon Kenworth semi-truck means a lot to him. The Lockport man keeps a picture of it tucked inside his wallet. He used to proudly park the truck in the driveway outside his home.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]So, when his neighbors called police last summer, complaining that the truck was noisy and an eyesore and the police made him move it, Mata, who says none of that's true, got mad.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Then, he got even: He has painted his house a brilliant shade of fluorescent green.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Hideous," one neighbor calls it.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Another, Debbie Seitz, says it's so bright, "The flight traffic would be able to spot Lockport."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Serves you right, says Mata: "Well, I thought if they said, 'The truck's an eyesore,' I'd give them a real eyesore."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some tickled pink[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The color is so, ah, unusual, that, when he bought the paint at a Home Depot and told a store employee what it was for, "The lady there couldn't believe it. She said, 'That's not outside paint; that's interior paint.' "[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The police made Mata move the truck because of an ordinance that bans trucks from being parked in residential areas. But there's no ordinance that restricts what color people can paint their houses, city administrator Larry McCasland says. "It's crazy, isn't it?" McCasland says, laughing.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mata's home, which he rents from his father, has become sort of an attraction, drawing people who don't even live in the neighborhood.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"And we get a lot of compliments, too, right, Dad?" says Mata's daughter, Lori. "They'd stop and say, 'I like it.' "[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For his annoyed neighbors, Mata's taste in exterior home paint has had a couple of benefits: It slows traffic and serves as a handy landmark.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I say, 'Just go to 14th and Washington, and I live right across the street from the crazy green house,' " says a neighbor who'd give her name only as Dawn.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mata says the color doesn't bother him. "Inside here, I don't see it," he says.[/font]

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-greenhouse17.html

My sister's neighbor painted his house Barney purple because the neighbors were complaining that his house needed to be painted. He really fixed them..lol

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back