IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiw319

Reaction score
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

These girls have been missing all afternoon and the search was suspended tonight now that it's dark here. We're a small town next to a larger city but a small police force that has likely never dealt with missing kids.. Bikes found on the trail and purse and phone had been thrown over the fence near the bikes but the other side of the fence is a hill leading to the highway. Right now the search is very disorganized and there aren't any flyers :(.

It did for me, thank you! They have used heat seeking devices with the helicopter for all the nearby wooded areas, searched the small island, and had divers on the lake for five hours. No sign of the girls:(

I'm wondering if it could have been a stranger abduction off the interstate or a kidnapping by a non-custodial family member. I hope they just got lost. It looks like two different Cooks live north of the lake and are related. One may be dad and one may be grandma.

That business about cell phones confused me. They were thrown over a fence? Which side?

I hope they just wandered away from the trail. Is the area are the lake heavily wooded? I will look at the map. Maybe they are together and just lost, even though I hate to think of them out in the dark overnight. I hope they are found safe.

If you zoom in on that map, you can get a street-level view of the fence line between the lake and the interstate. It looks like the fence is probably in the 6-8 range. It has cross supports that could be used for footing. It certainly could be scaled. The question is who would have been on the other side.

I hope they just wandered away from the trail. Is the area are the lake heavily wooded? I will look at the map. Maybe they are together and just lost, even though I hate to think of them out in the dark overnight. I hope they are found safe.

Yes. I think we're all hoping that they just got lost. But I am really worried for their safety. The lake area is not heavily wooded. It's unlikely that they would be lost near the lake. I assume they wore shoes if they rode their bikes. So one would expect to find shoes and possibly other clothing if they decided to go for a swim. I wonder if there was some indication that they went into the water. Police talked like the water search was only a precaution. They didn't mention anything that led them to search the water.

The interstate and the Mississippi River are so close by. It looks like they could have crossed under the interstate to get to the river side of the highway. So I doubt they would park their bikes by the fence on the north side of the road if they wanted to go check out the river on the south side.

I'm wondering if it could have been a stranger abduction off the interstate or a kidnapping by a non-custodial family member. I hope they just got lost. It looks like two different Cooks live north of the lake and are related. One may be dad and one may be grandma.

That business about cell phones confused me. They were thrown over a fence? Which side?

I think the purse and the phone (perhaps the phone was in the purse?) were thrown over the fence towards the highway. I don't like the fact that there is a heavily wooded area right at the southeast corner of the lake off the trail where these girls bikes were found. If someone was going to hide out on a nature trail waiting for a jogger or a bike rider, that would be a good place. And if someone grabbed them off their bikes or stopped them to talk then I could see them throwing the purse over the fence if one of the girls was attempting to use the phone. :(

MOO

Yes. I think we're all hoping that they just got lost. But I am really worried for their safety. The lake area is not heavily wooded. It's unlikely that they would be lost near the lake. I assume they wore shoes if they rode their bikes. So one would expect to find shoes and possibly other clothing if they decided to go for a swim. I wonder if there was some indication that they went into the water. Police talked like the water search was only a precaution. They didn't mention anything that led them to search the water.

The interstate and the Mississippi River are so close by. It looks like they could have crossed under the interstate to get to the river side of the highway. So I doubt they would park their bikes by the fence on the north side of the road if they wanted to go check out the river on the south side.

I looked at the map and saw that it is not that wooded at all. They have been searching since 3:00 and have not found them yet. And I read they found a purse, but like you mentioned nothing else that would lead them to believe they went swimming. The highway is right there. I am worried too...

I think the purse and the phone (perhaps the phone was in the purse?) were thrown over the fence towards the highway. I don't like the fact that there is a heavily wooded area right at the southeast corner of the lake off the trail where these girls bikes were found. If someone was going to hide out on a nature trail waiting for a jogger or a bike rider, that would be a good place. And if someone grabbed them off their bikes or stopped them to talk then I could see them throwing the purse over the fence if one of the girls was attempting to use the phone. :(

MOO

I hope they get a message out soon for travelers to report seeing any vehicles parked along the road in that area.

shared from IL! I hope they are close to home and just wandered further than they should of, but you never know. We live off interstate 80 and for all the traffic that goes buy, there was one missing person (tammy zywicki). It would be hard to be a stranger and get into the lake area, swipe TWO girls, and then get back on the interstate IMO. You'd have to know the areas, know the girls, or both IMO

Very glad they weren't in the lake, I think it sounds like the obvious place to check first since the bikes were there and kids often drown in water.

If these girls left in a vehicle, I think they knew the person, and the meeting was arranged. Phone and computer records should help them figure out more about the situation.

The phone and purse were found on the side of the fence that goes up to the highway.

There are some woods, I wouldn't call it heavy though. Built into the woods are lots of houses and are never far from the road so even though it looks wooded, there is lots of residential area there.

I believe it was just a precaution and after that many hours in a small lake, I think if they were going to find them, they would have.

If you follow the trail down to the road, it leads under the interstate overpass and around to the ped bridge by the cedar river. It'd be about a mile to walk before getting to the ped bridge but after that, the trail is surrounded by some woods and then rural farmland. I can't imagine why they would ditch bikes to head that way.

The interstate is under heavy construction and down to two lanes on the north side, one going each direction. At times during the day traffic flows at the posted 55 and at other times moves about 5. Around that time, I would assume traffic would be at about 35 to 45. The fence is pretty tall, taller than an adult. It would be hard to get a vehicle back there without being noticed but probably not impossible. Their bikes were found right where the fence is on both sides to prevent you from getting into an area of the lake where there's some drainage stuff or something. It's not wide enough for a Vehicle to get through but it's also not very long until your past the fence on the lake side. Maybe 20 feet.

They are now listing her last name as Morrisey. I'm not sure why the confusion.

It sounds like someone abducted these girls.Both of them...and tossed the phone. Hope someone saw something useful... JMO

Could somebody pinpoint where exactly the bikes were found on the map please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member