Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

All things Joe Paterno

Maybe we can start a thread on JoPa as things develop. I am stunned by this:

http://news.yahoo.com/paterno-family...5564--nfl.html

Why is it I suspect this is the motivation?

Paterno's estate could be sued for damages by victims of Sandusky's abuse, according to legal experts.
    I am intrigued at the "demand" that Freeh's group, hired by Penn State, preserve their notes.

Why shouldnt the Paterno's start from scratch if they believe it to be inaccurate? That puzzles me, fwiw, and makes all of this look even more like a PR ploy. JMVHO.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Maybe we can start a thread on JoPa as things develop. I am stunned by this:

http://news.yahoo.com/paterno-family...5564--nfl.html

Why is it I suspect this is the motivation?

I am intrigued at the "demand" that Freeh's group, hired by Penn State, preserve their notes.

Why shouldnt the Paterno's start from scratch if they believe it to be inaccurate? That puzzles me, fwiw, and makes all of this look even more like a PR ploy. JMVHO.
    It appears from the 'demand' that Paterno's family doesn't so much want to launch their own proble but to go through Freeh's report and try and dismantle all things related to Paterno.

Chances are they want to restate any blame which was directed at JoPa and place it on everybody else.

The fact that the Paterno family continues in this quest has to be creating chaos on the Administration and Trustees at Penn State.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:

I would be interested in a psychological profile on Joe Paterno, Graham Spanier, Tim Curley, and Gary Schultz. I can imagine they are enablers as they are obsessed with power and control. Paterno is probably a lot like Cindy Anthony.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

o/t a wee bit, but I never thought, when I started the first Jerry Sandusky thread, that events would spiral in the direction they've gone. But spiral they have, to the cover-up involving Penn State administrators and, ultimately, Joe Paterno, and to the conviction of Jerry Sandusky, pedophile. (And thank you to all WS-ers + mods who did lots of work to make the Sandusky et al. case a forum in Featured Case Discussion - gratifying, and a first in my book!)

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I don't think they can make any demands of the Freeh Group. I thought the Paterno's weren't afraid of the truth? Guess as long as it was THEIR TRUTH, they weren't. They are vile people. :/

I didn't think anyone could look worse than Sandusky, the actual monster but I was wrong. Evidently the Paterno family wants to look as bad or worse. Just accept it and move on. Paterno wasn't the Vaunted Saint his image claimed. He did wrong by these kids. Just admit it. Years from now it'll be part of the narrative on Paterno but odds are people will remember the many good things he did too but by continuing to deny, by continuing to blame everyone else and pass the buck, they just make JoePa look worse. Much worse.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to back2back19 For This Useful Post:

Much ado over the JoePa statue of course. Deadspin's Drew Magary takes a look at an important aspect....

No One Is Currently Guarding The Joe Paterno Statue

---
    Anyway, with everyone fighting over the fate of the statue, I thought to myself: Hey, shouldn't someone be guarding that thing? What's to keep an aspiring Bart Simpson from sneaking out in the dead of night and taking a hacksaw to that statue's neckline? Surely, someone at PSU would want that JoePa statue protected at all costs. So I decided to call the university and see if anyone was in charge of standing between bronze JoePa and hurled feces.
    ---
    the rest at the link

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Much ado over the JoePa statue of course. Deadspin's Drew Magary takes a look at an important aspect....

No One Is Currently Guarding The Joe Paterno Statue

the rest at the link
    Oh, now that wasnt a good idea. Nothing like making a suggestion to folks...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Paternoville, a student encampment formed prior to home games, has had its name changed to Nittanyville by the students.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/1...oville-to.html

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Here's an article on Paterno from 1987.

IN THE WORLD OF COLLEGE ATHLETICS . . . : HE'S NOT AN AVERAGE JOE : Paterno Wants to Win--and Usually Does--but What Sets Him Apart From Many Football Coaches Is That He Won't Put Game Ahead of Academics, Integrity

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-05-..._1_joe-paterno

Paterno has plenty to say on a variety of topics.

--SMU: "It's unbelievable to think that kind of corruption came right from the top of the power structure. The NCAA did what it had to do" in canceling SMU's 1988 football season.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigCat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

IN THE WORLD OF COLLEGE ATHLETICS . . . : HE'S NOT AN AVERAGE JOE : Paterno Wants to Win--and Usually Does--but What Sets Him Apart From Many Football Coaches Is That He Won't Put Game Ahead of Academics, Integrity

Oh, the ironininny.
    Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IzzyBlanche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Prescient quote:

"He makes decisions based on what's best for the business, not necessarily the individual."

Ya THINK?

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IzzyBlanche For This Useful Post:

Oh thanks again Big Cat for posting that article. It's full of gems given what we know now. Too many to post.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IzzyBlanche For This Useful Post:

Phil Sheridan: Paterno, not Sandusky, brought down Paterno's legacy

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-1...aham-b-spanier

Joe Paterno's reputation was not destroyed by Jerry Sandusky. His legacy was not permanently stained by Louis Freeh.

It was Paterno who ruined Paterno. That was the painful and unavoidable message contained in Freeh's blistering report, which was released Thursday morning.

Paterno knew as far back as 1998 that Sandusky was being investigated for possible child abuse. He never took actions to stop his longtime assistant coach, never reported him outside the Penn State bubble. Worst of all, there is evidence Paterno persuaded other university officials not to report Sandusky in 2001.

Sandusky's victims were the children he raped and abused. The men who shielded him - Paterno, Graham B. Spanier, Tim Curley, and Gary Schultz - were victims only of their own arrogance and failure to do even the most fundamentally decent things when given the chance. That arrogance and failure allowed Sandusky to victimize more innocent children.

More at link.....

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyBlanche View Post
    Oh thanks again Big Cat for posting that article. It's full of gems given what we know now. Too many to post.
    Sorry to quote my own post, but here's a beaut:

"I don't think I ever put winning a football game ahead of what was best for a kid."

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to IzzyBlanche For This Useful Post:

Paterno family still doesn't get it
    Review of Freeh report unneeded, won't help coach's legacy

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...eport-unneeded

The Paterno family's announcement Monday that they're hiring their own experts to do a comprehensive "review" of the Freeh report that scathingly fingered Joe Paterno as part of a cover-up that allowed suspected child molester Jerry Sandusky to operate for years is yet another bald attempt to put preserving Paterno's legacy as a football coach above all else. In other words, it reeks of the same sort of hubris and misplaced priorities that led to so many grotesque things happening at Penn State in the first place.

The family's promise to avenge the dismantling of their late patriarch's reputation, no matter how long it takes, is also sure to draw mocking comparisons to the credibility problem O.J. Simpson battled when he vowed to find the "real" killer of Nicole Brown Simpson. ................

The footing to make unilateral pronouncements or demands in Paterno's name is gone now, but the Paterno family hasn't gotten the message.

It's as if they're behaving on muscle memory based on years of watching Joe operate.

More at link....

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast