Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Joe Paterno

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyBlanche View Post
    I don't agree. They weren't involved AFAIK; they themselves did nothing shameful.
    Possibly. And in a court of law I certainly couldn't testify that they absolutely, certainly did.

What I could testify to is that as a wife I am privy to my husbands concerns that happen at work. He might not come right out and say the problem but his behavior would indicate to me something is on his mind. After prodding I would know exactly what is on his mind.

A marriage that has lasted as long as Sue and Joe's certainly has some sort of effective communication flow - that's why I find it hard to believe that she didn't know something of this issue.

Then again, taking all that for what it's worth - they certainly talked after the big "reveal"....so disregarding all the above - the thought that she and her offspring are still trying to keep the St. Paterno name alive sickens me. Remember, their main concern was to keep Paterno's legacy as the all time winningest coach in college football hence the letter to the NCAA.

I'll say this for the third and last time - IMO they need to go away and never show their faces again. For what they are doing now and what they did not possibly do before - they need to hang their heads in shame.

If I am jumping to conclusions on the Paterno family - I'd rather err on the side of the children who were physically, emotionally and mentally abused rather than the Paternos - any day of the week.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OilPainter For This Useful Post:

More Paterno bio excerpts reveal rift between coach, Sandusky

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oach-sandusky/

The general media takeaway from this email chain [discussing how Penn State officials should handle McQueary's testimony] was that Paterno had convinced [athletic director Tim] Curley to back off reporting Sandusky and to handle this in-house. Others familiar with the emails believed instead that Paterno had demanded they confront Sandusky.
    I don't understand the above quote. How is confronting Sandusky any different from handling it in-house if DPW is not contacted in either scenario?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigCat For This Useful Post:

More from the Posnanski bio:
    Joe Paterno had to be prodded by his family to read the grand jury report regarding Jerry Sandusky and did not understand some of its graphic terminology, according to a new book.
    ---
    In the book, Posnanski describes a scene at Paterno's home, two days after Sandusky had been charged last November.

Paterno's family and a close adviser were trying to explain to the Penn State coach that there was a growing sentiment that Paterno must have known for years about the accusations against Sandusky.

The book quotes Paterno as shouting, "I'm not omniscient!"

The book also indicates Paterno didn't comprehend all the terms in the report, asking his son what sodomy meant.
    I think Posnanski was suckered.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ble-to-paterno

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    More Paterno bio excerpts reveal rift between coach, Sandusky

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oach-sandusky/

The general media takeaway from this email chain [discussing how Penn State officials should handle McQueary's testimony] was that Paterno had convinced [athletic director Tim] Curley to back off reporting Sandusky and to handle this in-house. Others familiar with the emails believed instead that Paterno had demanded they confront Sandusky.

I don't understand the above quote. How is confronting Sandusky any different from handling it in-house if DPW is not contacted in either scenario?
    [I included the quote in boldface]

I do understand that Paterno might have wanted Sandusky to be confronted personally, but why not the follow through to DPW?

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

•Paterno did not read the grand jury report until two days after it was released, and it was this heated exchange between Paterno and family adviser Guido D’Elia that led to Paterno reading.

“You realize that the people out there think you knew about this? They think you had to know because you know about everything.”

“That’s their opinion!” Paterno shouted. “I’m not omniscient!”

“They think you are!” D’Elia roared back.

According to D’Elia’s recollection of watching Paterno read the presentment, the former coach asked Scott, “What is sodomy, anyway?”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...om-gq-1113675/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nittanylioness234 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    More from the Posnanski bio:

I think Posnanski was suckered.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ble-to-paterno
    I agree. I call BS with a capital BULL.
    Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IzzyBlanche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nittanylioness234 View Post
    •Paterno did not read the grand jury report until two days after it was released, and it was this heated exchange between Paterno and family adviser Guido D’Elia that led to Paterno reading.

“You realize that the people out there think you knew about this? They think you had to know because you know about everything.”

“That’s their opinion!” Paterno shouted. “I’m not omniscient!”

“They think you are!” D’Elia roared back.

According to D’Elia’s recollection of watching Paterno read the presentment, the former coach asked Scott, “What is sodomy, anyway?”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...om-gq-1113675/
    Slightly off-topic, but the one thing that was clarified from reading this was the role of Guido D'Elia. Many Penn Staters were stunned when he was let go from his position as Director of Football Communication and Branding - he was credited by many with greatly improving the in-stadium atmosphere with innovations like the "White-Out", where all fans were encouraged to wear white, and the increased use of music and video on the scoreboard; although in fairness, not everyone liked the changes he brought.

None of us realized at the time how personally close he was with Paterno, so reading these articles makes his departure much more understandable.
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

A more lengthy excerpt from Posnanski's book:

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...?currentPage=1

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nittanylioness234 For This Useful Post:

10 fascinating sports facts revealed in Joe Paterno biography

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._river_default

10. Following PSU’s controversial 27-25 last-second loss at Michigan in 2005, the Lions’ only blemish on an 11-1 season, Paterno was furious that officials put a few seconds back on the clock, possibly allowing Wolverines QB Chad Henne enough time to throw the game-winning TD pass on the final play. According to Posnanski, Paterno told friends he was considering pulling the Lions out of the Big Ten as a result.
    Wow

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigCat For This Useful Post:

10 fascinating sports facts revealed in Joe Paterno biography

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._river_default

Wow
    I remember watching that game, and it was a very strange set of circumstances indeed.

Not defending Paterno's thinking here, but there was a lot of history involved. The Nittany Lions were made to feel like the unwanted stepchild of the conference:

Twenty years ago, the leaders of Penn State University never got to enjoy this honeymoon phase. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Penn State shocked its peers and even its own fan base by landing and accepting an invite into the conference.
    The offer came after much flirtation and was consummated with a slew of backdoor meetings and dealings between Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and his conference's presidents.
    And the move wasn't a popular one with everyone. Three Big Ten presidents voted "no" to the Nittany Lions. Athletic directors and coaches were furious that they'd been kept out of the loop.
    The December 1989 announcement kicked off a three-year-long process to merge an East Coast school, which few Big Ten aficionados appreciated, into a league in which it didn't seem to belong. Resentment was a hurdle Penn State faced from day one.
    http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/p...ka-s-1.2551167
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rlaub44 View Post
    I remember watching that game, and it was a very strange set of circumstances indeed.

Not defending Paterno's thinking here, but there was a lot of history involved. The Nittany Lions were made to feel like the unwanted stepchild of the conference:

Twenty years ago, the leaders of Penn State University never got to enjoy this honeymoon phase. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Penn State shocked its peers and even its own fan base by landing and accepting an invite into the conference.
    The offer came after much flirtation and was consummated with a slew of backdoor meetings and dealings between Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and his conference's presidents.
    And the move wasn't a popular one with everyone. Three Big Ten presidents voted "no" to the Nittany Lions. Athletic directors and coaches were furious that they'd been kept out of the loop.
    The December 1989 announcement kicked off a three-year-long process to merge an East Coast school, which few Big Ten aficionados appreciated, into a league in which it didn't seem to belong. Resentment was a hurdle Penn State faced from day one.
    http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/p...ka-s-1.2551167
    I was amazed that he had the audacity to think he could pull Penn State out of the Big Ten. Pulling the football team out would have meant every sports team at Penn State, male and female, would have to withdraw from the conference. Maybe he had that much power, but I doubt it. He also thought he could tell the BOT, publicly, when he was going to retire. Yet his supporters want us to believe that when it came to Jerry Sandusky, he felt powerless to do anything. While I do believe he was uncertain about what to do, I don't believe for a second he was powerless.

JMO

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigCat For This Useful Post:

By someone who has read Posnanski's entire book:
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ful-incomplete

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Atlantic article on Posnanski book:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-coach/261376/

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Paterno Book: The Private Notes of the Late Penn State Coach

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...coach-1116680/

The books mentions a private memo Paterno wrote in 1993. The Paterno family would sometimes call it the “Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky Memo.”

In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile.

“He would gripe about Jerry all the time,” one family member said.
    The picture of Paterno that is emerging, for me, is a man with a one track mind -- football, football, football. To the extent that Sandusky's possible sexual inclinations for children registered with Paterno, it did so only as something that distracted Sandusky from his responsibilites as a coach.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigCat For This Useful Post:

Paterno Book: The Private Notes of the Late Penn State Coach

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...coach-1116680/

The picture of Paterno that is emerging, for me, is a man with a one track mind -- football, football, football. To the extent that Sandusky's possible sexual inclinations for children registered with Paterno, it did so only as something that distracted Sandusky from his responsibilites as a coach.
    I am not surprised by the conflict between Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky. You have two highly narcissistic control freaks side by side. It causes conflict among the two that can spread.

Nonetheless I still think Paterno is a scumbag.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

I was reading an article from July on ESPN.com, and I was floored by what I found. These are the sorts of errors that make me wonder how closely many people read the Freeh report. It seems like emotion overtook comprehension for this reporter:

But after Freeh's report revealed Paterno and others failed to notify the police about Sandusky's assaults of young boys in three separate incidents from 1998 to 2001, I think the NCAA should punish Penn State.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ned-wrath-ncaa

OK, if I am counting right, the 3 incidents he refers to are:
    1. 1998 - The police, DPW and the DA were already investigating before "Paterno and others" even heard about the situation.
    2. 2000 - Janitors working at night in the Lasch building witnessed Sandusky sexually assaulting a young boy. "Paterno and others" were never to our knowledge even aware of this matter, as the janitors were afraid to report anything.
    3. 2001 - Right, we all know that "Paterno and others" big-time dropped the ball on this one.

There are many people that weren't able to read the entire Freeh report, and trust media outlets to summarize for them. If I had read that, not knowing the whole story, I would have had my torch and pitchfork at the ready, just like the author. I don't mind anyone having an opinion, even if it is 180 degrees from mine, but so many people made their minds up with misinformation like this ESPN article.

/rant off
    well one thing is certain, staters are careful and meticulous readers of the FR. heres ya'lls huge problem about the report: 1. it really doesnt matter how much of it is misunderstood by the public at large. and that includes reporters of every kind, not to mention sports reporters, pseudo or otherwise. 2. ya'll may make whatever hay you want out of smoke and mirrow insinuations and made up wishings about its conclusions, none of that matters. and that is so because Freeh and his team had NO AGENDA, but simply searched for the truth. which pretty much speaks for itself in this matter. Freeh and his team didnt care one whit who was to blame, or how anyone might view whatever results they uncovered. they were tasked with discovering the truth, and, despite your reluctance to see it, it wasn't very difficult to find, once a competent investigative team got its scent.

so keep on attacking it, and throwing aspersions and darts at Freeh, whatever makes youi feel better. tomorrow might be another day, but joepa's legacy and penn states fradulantly gotten good name are forever gone. gone with the wind. ya'll do remind me of unreconstructed southerners. they had a hell of a time dealing with their sad truths too.
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to costalpilot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by costalpilot View Post
    well one thing is certain, staters are careful and meticulous readers of the FR. heres ya'lls huge problem about the report: 1. it really doesnt matter how much of it is misunderstood by the public at large. and that includes reporters of every kind, not to mention sports reporters, pseudo or otherwise. 2. ya'll may make whatever hay you want out of smoke and mirrow insinuations and made up wishings about its conclusions, none of that matters. and that is so because Freeh and his team had NO AGENDA, but simply searched for the truth. which pretty much speaks for itself in this matter. Freeh and his team didnt care one whit who was to blame, or how anyone might view whatever results they uncovered. they were tasked with discovering the truth, and, despite your reluctance to see it, it wasn't very difficult to find, once a competent investigative team got its scent.
    The only problem that I have with the Freeh Report is that he was overreaching in some of his conclusions about 1998. I do not feel that he produced sufficient evidence to support some of his, **what they should have done in 1998** conclusions. As to showing what happened in 1998 and 2001, and some of ancillary issues, this was exceptionally well documented.

so keep on attacking it, and throwing aspersions and darts at Freeh, whatever makes youi feel better. tomorrow might be another day, but joepa's legacy and penn states fradulantly gotten good name are forever gone. gone with the wind. ya'll do remind me of unreconstructed southerners. they had a hell of a time dealing with their sad truths too.
    The analogy I'd use is Germany, 1946.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by costalpilot View Post

Where in what I wrote did you see me attacking Freeh or the report?

I commented on the ESPN reporter who completely misread the report and posted misinformation. My concern is that people who haven't read the report will read that article and take as fact that Paterno and others had three opportunities to report Sandusky.

I pointed out the error the reporter made, and I don't think comparing me to an unreconstructed Southerner, or saying that I am reluctant to see something, is warranted off of the post I made.

Do you also think Paterno, Curley et al. had three opportunites to report Sandusky up to and including the 2001 incident, or do you agree with what I wrote, that the article is misleading?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

I commented on the ESPN reporter who completely misread the report and posted misinformation. My concern is that people who haven't read the report will read that article and take as fact that Paterno and others had three opportunities to report Sandusky.

I pointed out the error the reporter made, and I don't think comparing me to an unreconstructed Southerner, or saying that I am reluctant to see something, is warranted off of the post I made.

Do you also think Paterno, Curley et al. had three opportunites to report Sandusky up to and including the 2001 incident, or do you agree with what I wrote, that the article is misleading?
    I don't think that comment was directed against you, Rlaub. Mine was not, just to be clear.

I do think that there are a lot Penn Staters (fans and/or alumni). I posted on an alumni board that basically no individual way hurt by the vacating of the games (except arguably a dead Paterno). One posted said that he couldn't understand the question about how was being punished since fans would have to root for another team.

Logic, and a Penn State degree, do not necessarily go hand in hand.
    Last edited by J. J. in Phila; 08-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StellarsJay View Post
    Atlantic article on Posnanski book:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...-coach/261376/
    Excellent link - thanks Stellars. Zero's in on many things we here at WS's have been asking and saying about Paterno before this book was published.

Well worth the time to read.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    I don't think that comment was directed against you, Rlaub. Mine was not, just to be clear.

I do think that there are a lot Penn Staters (fans and/or alumni). I posted on an alumni board that basically no individual way hurt by the vacating of the games (except arguably a dead Paterno). One posted said that he couldn't understand the question about how was being punished since fans would have to root for another team.

Logic, and a Penn State degree, do not necessarily go hand in hand.
    Thanks JJ. The other comment quoted my post, referred quite often to "you" and "y'all", and I am a PSU alum (B.S. and M.Ed), so I kind of felt directed toward.

You are right - there are a lot of commenters on CDT and the Patriot-News who cannot be brought to believe Paterno ever made any mistakes, and they are taking the sanctions harder than Coach O'Brien and his players!

Of course, fans and alums aren't the only ones - have you read the comments made today by long-time Trustee Al Clemens?
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ees_offer.html

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks JJ. The other comment quoted my post, referred quite often to "you" and "y'all", and I am a PSU alum (B.S. and M.Ed), so I kind of felt directed toward.
    I'm Class of '85, and a life member of the Alumni Association, and I was one of those people who was not calling for the statue to be removed prior to the e-mails being released. Evidence is evidence, and Freeh produced it.

You are right - there are a lot of commenters on CDT and the Patriot-News who cannot be brought to believe Paterno ever made any mistakes, and they are taking the sanctions harder than Coach O'Brien and his players!
    O'Brien obviously knew what he was getting into. I found out that the individual players records are not affected by the vacated games. I asked someone if the games were restored, would Paterno get better seats in the afterlife.

Of course, fans and alums aren't the only ones - have you read the comments made today by long-time Trustee Al Clemens?
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ees_offer.html
    Clemens is not on the BoT, but I think is an alum.

If these guys keep talking, they turn Beaver Stadium into a cow pasture.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    Clemens is not on the BoT, but I think is an alum.
    Snipped -

Actually, he is one of the Governors appointees. His term is up this year, according to PSU's website:
    http://www.psu.edu/trustees/membership.html

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

Snipped -

Actually, he is one of the Governors appointees. His term is up this year, according to PSU's website:
    http://www.psu.edu/trustees/membership.html
    Oh, Good Lord, you're right! He was Class of '59. And we are both in Who's Who. Lord Almighty! This is getting embarrassing.

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

I was completely wrong. I apologize absolutely. You did not attack the Freeh report, and it was wrong of me to say you did.

what I said didnt apply to your statements at all. My huge mistake.
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to costalpilot For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast