866 users online (132 members and 734 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Youth sports organizations react to Jerry Sandusky child-sex-abuse scandal

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_2277318...-sandusky-case

BALTIMORE—In an effort to address child abuse in sports following the Jerry Sandusky case, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children will team with Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation next week for a two-day summit.
    With the goal of developing practices that can be applied industry-wide, more than 50 groups, including Special Olympics, USA Swimming, US Soccer, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, will participate in the summit on Tuesday and Wednesday in Alexandria, Va. ...............

Joe Ehrmann, a former NFL lineman and survivor of child sexual abuse, said of the summit: "I think this could be a pivotal moment in the history of youth sports. We're all aware there has been a tremendous amount of damage done to children throughout the country in sports and other venues." ......more..........

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    It's almost twenty years after he started the Second Mile. I understand that a pedophile isn't created in his 50's; nevertheless, based on what we know now, Sandusky's behavior appears to have entered a new phase around the early 90's.
    As I've thought about this, I wonder if as a younger man, he may have recognized that he was a pedophile, but tried to deny it, throwing himself into football and legitimate acts through the Second Mile. I have read that many pedophiles gravitate toward careers involving children, because besides the sexual attraction, I believe Sandusky legitimately felt more comfortable around kids. For years, he may have denied that there was anything wrong with him.

Along the way, in addition to building his reputation, he began pushing the boundaries. It probably didn't start with pushing for sex - he may have enjoyed the body contact of just wrestling with his "kids". As that became accepted, I can see him testing the waters with massage, or as we heard from his victims, "cracking their backs". Each step along the way emboldened him to go a little farther.

His behaviors certainly didn't start in 1998, but I would suggest that there were lots of smaller steps on the way to bear hugs in the shower; may not have been anything that caught LE or DPW's attention, but enough that some of his budding victims would feel uncomfortable with his attention.
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Rlaub44 View Post
    As I've thought about this, I wonder if as a younger man, he may have recognized that he was a pedophile, but tried to deny it, throwing himself into football and legitimate acts through the Second Mile. I have read that many pedophiles gravitate toward careers involving children, because besides the sexual attraction, I believe Sandusky legitimately felt more comfortable around kids. For years, he may have denied that there was anything wrong with him.

Along the way, in addition to building his reputation, he began pushing the boundaries. It probably didn't start with pushing for sex - he may have enjoyed the body contact of just wrestling with his "kids". As that became accepted, I can see him testing the waters with massage, or as we heard from his victims, "cracking their backs". Each step along the way emboldened him to go a little farther.

His behaviors certainly didn't start in 1998, but I would suggest that there were lots of smaller steps on the way to bear hugs in the shower; may not have been anything that caught LE or DPW's attention, but enough that some of his budding victims would feel uncomfortable with his attention.
    An excellent assessment. Based on what we know, I would have to agree.

Also, the only two known eye witness accounts of Sandusky's crimes occurred in the 2000's, which supports the notion that his behavior was progressively getting more flagrant and reckless over time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    An excellent assessment. Based on what we know, I would have to agree.

Also, the only two known eye witness accounts of Sandusky's crimes occurred in the 2000's, which supports the notion that his behavior was progressively getting more flagrant and reckless over time.
    I hope information from the numerous civil suits is made public as there are some from pre 1998.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Since we have some information about 1998 and after. I wonder if there were cover ups before 1998.
    Since police found criminal complaints for Jimmy Savile dating back to 1964. I wonder if police will find criminal complaints for Jerry Sandusky going back decades?

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

The release Baldwin's testimony mentioned that the AG was investigating from 1984-85.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4