Kitty Wells, first female country music superstar, dead in Nashville at 92

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
First female superstar of country music Kitty Wells dies at 92 (Daily Mail)
Singer Kitty Wells, the first female superstar of country music, died today at 92.

The singer passed away peacefully at home after complications from a stroke, according to her family.
---
Her track It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels in 1952 was the first No. 1 hit by a woman soloist on the country music charts and dashed the notion that women couldn't be headliners.
---
The song was written by J.D. Miller as a retort to Hank Thompson's 1952 hit, The Wild Side of Life.

The chorus to Thompson's record was: 'I didn't know God made honky-tonk angels/ I might have known you'd never make a wife/ But you gave up the only one that ever loved you/ And went back to the wild side of life.'

In his response, Miller wrote: 'It wasn't God who made honky-tonk angels/ As you said in the words of your song/ Too many times married men think they're still single/ That has caused many a good girl to go wrong.'
---
The song opened the way for women to present their view of life and love in country music. It also encouraged Nashville songwriters to begin writing from a woman's perspective.
---
much more, including pictures, at link above
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKleTa94dC8"]Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - YouTube[/ame]

"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels":

Fewer than 3 minutes of music, but without them, no Patsy Cline and no Loretta Lynn, and Lord knows who else we would have missed.

Along with "Your Cheatin' Heart" and "Crazy", surely one of the top ten all-time greatest country songs!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR94_zFKqus&feature=related"]Lord I'm Coming Home Kitty Wells - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, that was true Country Music as opposed to the so-called Country Music today which is only Rock and Roll sung in a nasal tone.

R.I.P. Kitty:seeya:

She will be missed!

I am a music lover and will pretty much listen to it all. My husband tells me all the time that he could randomly pick a station over and over again and every time I would be singing the song.

But I must agree with what has already been said here, THAT was real country music!

"It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels":

Fewer than 3 minutes of music, but without them, no Patsy Cline and no Loretta Lynn, and Lord knows who else we would have missed.

Along with "Your Cheatin' Heart" and "Crazy", surely one of the top ten all-time greatest country songs!

You have NO IDEA how much I LOVE this post!

I am a huge Lorretta fan and I know without Kitty, Loretta would be an unknown.

This is from Loretta's site:

Loretta Remembers Kitty Wells

Kitty Wells will always be the greatest female country singer of all times. She was my hero. If I had never heard of Kitty Wells, I don’t think I would have been a singer myself. I wanted to sound just like her, but as far as I am concerned, no one will ever be as great as Kitty Wells. She truly is the Queen of Country Music.

http://www.lorettalynn.com/50/?p=1762

Here is a great picture of Crystal, Kitty, and Loretta

loretta_bmi_450.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member