1032 users online (204 members and 828 guests)  


Websleuths News

View Poll Results: What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as is, and where it is.

    8 4.97%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

    4 2.48%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

    4 2.48%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

    35 21.74%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

    87 54.04%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

    17 10.56%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

    6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 139
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,424

    JoePa's Statue

    What to do with the statue of JoePa?
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    155
    Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
    Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.
    Good idea


    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,230
    I've done a 180 on this. At first I was totally against taking it down but the more I think about it, I think it does have to come down. Mainly because no matter what good JoeP has brought to that university, the statue will always serve as a reminder to what wasn't done. In many ways, the statue not only represents JP, but all the higher ups who turned the other way in order to save the reputation of Penn State. JP's legacy has become this tragedy, no matter how many people want to deny it. The public at large (non-penn state alumni and fans) will now always remember JP for what he didn't do, instead of what he did for 50+ years there. For that reason, the statue must be taken down. Move it off campus, to a museum or someplace that the family can fund. If folks want to visit it they can visit it at it's new location. But sitting it at the place where all there tragedies happened and taking into account that JP is a part of allowing those tragedies to happen, means it must go.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Posts
    248
    I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):


    Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."



    Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

    RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    Posts
    5,900
    Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

    Sorry if I sound angry.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
    Start an archival museum and place it with other memorabilia. Then those interested can still see it while the rest aren't forced to.
    I agree Twindad. There will be some who would visit the archives but it should be off campus. Noone can write JP out of Penn St. history altogether, but it should located off campus. JP is deceased and no longer PSU football coach. IMO, it is disrespectful to survivors and victims and the current football coach/players for it to remain in it's current location. Maybe the P family or a wealthy benefactor will consider your suggestion.

    I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist)

    my opinion

    wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16,261
    Quote Originally Posted by LRinCA View Post
    I have no idea if this is true or not but it comes via someone on Twitter who used to be associated with Breaking News (and might still be - I'm not sure):


    Multiple Twitter reports of plane now over #PSU pulling banner reading "Take down the statue or we will."



    Editing to add: I just opened up a search and there are many comments about it - including this one:

    RT @collegiatestdms: There is a banner plane flying around State College telling PSU to take down the statue or "they" will do it for them. Working on a photo

    It is true
    http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freaksh...ticle=10274637

    Someone has a banner flying over Penn State today that says "Take the statue down or we will"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    I just don't believe in destroying someone's art unless the artist chooses to destroy it or alter it. (I am an artist)
    You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

    Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by LRinCA View Post
    You make a very good point and one that I would never have thought of had you not mentioned it. It is a piece of art and it's not like anyone would ever think of destroying Warhol's Chairman Mao painting. In fact, at one time it had a prominent place at the Art Institute in Chicago (for all I know, it still does).

    Perhaps the Paterno family can put some of their energy into organizing a library similar to a presidential library (and I don't say that with tongue-in-cheek). I'm sure there are many would-be benefactors, wealthy or not, who would contribute to such a cause - and to use a parallel of sorts - even the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum (Yorba Linda, CA) now has a Watergate gallery.
    Thank you LRinCA! I no longer have the respect for JP that I once had but we cannot rewrite/erase history. Ya know?
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,424
    CNN article:

    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/17...ram/?hpt=hp_t2

    (snip) "I'm a Penn State employee that thinks we have failed miserably, and I'm sad for the damage that has been done, but this is just upsetting," Diane Farley, a PSU alumnus who spotted the plane on Tuesday told the Patriot-News of Harrisburg. "It's just stirring up everything." (snip)
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Coffeelandia
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Take it down... and while I think it was appropriate to remove the halo over JoePa's head on that Penn State mural, the artist was wrong in painting a child abuse awareness ribbon on JP's jacket. Remove the ribbon... JP didn't give 2 shakes to h*ll and back about children being sexually abused under his tenure.

    Sorry if I sound angry.
    You can sound as angry as you'd like. JP is a pedophile enabler. I have not had one ounce of sympathy for him and hope his death was painful, excruciatingly so.
    As for the statue, melt the damn thing.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,266
    A small airplane flying a banner re Paterno statue....


    AP Photo/Centre Daily Times, Nabil K. Mark
    A plane flying over the Penn State University campus in State College, pulls a banner reading "Take the statue down or we will" today.

    By Mark Dent / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JULIAN, Pa. - From about 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., a plane towing a banner that read "Take The Statue Down or We Will" flew above State College, apparently sending a message to the Penn State administration about the Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium.
    The plane is owned by Air America Aerial Ads, a limited liability company based in Toledo, Ohio, according to its FAA registration.
    Before the tail number could be identified by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Air America owner Jim Miller said the plane did not belong to him. Later calls to Miller and a company spokesperson were not immediately returned. Miller's company has flown sports-related banners before, including an anti-Tiger Woods banner at the 2010 Masters.
    The pilot of the plane declined to identify himself, his company or to speak about the flight. The plane took off and landed at Ridge Soaring Gliderport in Julian.
    The gliderport's owner, Tom Knauff, said his airport had no kno


    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz20ufNvaIb

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,708
    The statue needs to come down, but not with an implied threat like this:



    But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Accordingly, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops. Luke 12, 2-3


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    800
    Penn State President Rodney Erickson: Decision about Joe Paterno statue in 7 to 10 days


    http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/1...-erickson.html

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Sea god statue went missing from mountain
    By zwiebel in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2015, 10:55 PM
  2. Man simulated sex with statue of ram
    By Gozgals in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2006, 12:59 AM
  3. Bronze statue not the same from all angles
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM