MI - Boy, 9, dies in fall from apartment building, ruled suicide

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
A preliminary investigation showed that he had threatened to commit suicide several times recently, police at the scene said.

police said the youth's mother was a crack-cocaine user who was high at the time that he went through the window.

http://www.freep.com/article/201207...ls-to-death-possible-suicide?odyssey=nav|head

3 year old RieLee Lovell is dead because her babysitters were smoking meth...

This 9 year old boy was suicidal and goes out a 9th floor window while his 'mom' is high on crack...

These poor babies.

Per the link, "no EMS truck arrived". What is happening to this country?

Per the link, "no EMS truck arrived". What is happening to this country?

Maybe they sent directly for the coroner. The way budget cuts are in Detroit, it wouldn't surprise me.

omg, this precious little boy didn't stand a chance

children should be able to grow up in a safe, stable environment

this makes me sick

After the fall, no paramedics arrived on the scene and the boy was transported to the hospital in a police car. A state lawmaker is blaming city budget cuts for the lack of EMS response.

Wednesday’s apparent suicide comes less than two months after the May 23 death, later ruled a suicide by the Wayne County Medical Examiner, of a 7-year-old Detroit boy. He was found hanging by a belt from his bunk bed after he locked his bedroom door, following weeks of complaining about being bullied at school, according to a police report.

Both incidents occurred in Tlaib’s 12th state House District, which covers the south end of Detroit and once was patrolled by five EMS trucks.

“As of today (Wednesday), we have none. They have to dispatch one from the east side now,” she said.

http://www.app.com/article/20120719...-falls-his-death-apparent-suicide-EMS-no-show

Not that it excuses anything, but you can't even call the police for anything violent and expect them to show. There just aren't enough of them. EMS is the same. If a crime needs to be reported, the citizens are asked to go to a substation and report the crime. The days of a cop coming out to "take a report" are long gone.

The city's been stolen from and mismanaged for decades. The victims, as usual, are the people who live in the city.

And sadly, this child's fall has been ruled a suicide by the medical examiner.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ed-suicide?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

This is going to sound like a story from a bad movie, or a bad cliche, but oh well. The one and only time I have been to Detroit was by accident. With my husband, and then two kids, we took a wrong turn on the highway, and ended up in who knows what part of the city, but it looked, to me, like a war zone, literally. Between the falling down houses and buildings that looked like bombs had fallen on them, creepy overgrown lots, the completely unattended cars on FIRE on the side of the road, to the poor people who looked like they were wandering the sidewalks and streets in a shell shocked daze, many carrying bottles of booze, all i could think of was a war zone. I was completely horrified at how a once-vibrant city could come to such a state.

And I'm not a naive suburbanite - I grew up in the city, during the Reagan years, when gang banging and crack violence were at their height, and cities were grittier and uglier than they are today now that so many have gentrified and "cleaned up". I've been mugged, seen muggings, stabbings, too much drug dealing to recount, and been around guns and gunfire. But NONE of that even came close to the blight I saw in Detroit in a period of about 30 minutes 8 years ago. I didn't even really feel scared, like it was dangerous to be there. It just felt sad and completely hopeless.

It is appalling to me that in this wealthy country we have places like this, that we allow people to live in conditions like this. Where a nine year old boy is so hopeless that he jumps out a window, and emergency services don't even show up. WTF America?!

Funny you should mention Reagan. Because his mantra that "government is never the solution, government is always the problem" is partly to blame for the shape we are in.

This is not to question Michmi's argument that Detroit has suffered from years of corruption and mismanagement. I believe it. But corruption and mismanagement flourish in a climate in which citizens are told that government (which is really the citizens themselves) has no proper function.

Just to be clear: I'm not blaming Reagan for this poor child's death. I'm sure his suicide had much more to do with his home situation. But I can also imagine that at age 9, he saw no way out of the "war zone."

FWIW, there are people in Detroit who are using the depressed real estate values (houses for under $10,000) to experiment with different forms of urban living. Some have bought up entire blocks and then renovated the area as a group, sometimes using space in communal ways (such as a large, central kitchen, for example).

Yes. When we constantly hear that government is too big and must be cut, many people don't realize that the ones getting cut aren't the useless bureaucratic pencil pushers looking for ways to waste the tax ppayers' $$ conjured up by The Reagans, the Becks and Limbaughs of the world, but are actually people providing desperately needed services, like EMTs, LE, teachers, firefighters, etc.

And for the record, not once growing up did I ever even catch a glimpse of that mystical figure so loved by Reagan and the right, the Welfare Queen, living in luxury, eating Bon bons in her stylishly appointed public housing, all while collecting the hard earned money of god fearing white Americans. :eek:hoh:

Sorry if I sound bitter lol. I just seem to have heard so much in the news lately about St Reagan, and cutting government spending.. probably due to election coverage I'm sure. I wonder where Mittens was back during the Reagan years? Wasnt inner city Boston, I'm sure. :innocent:

And for the record, not once growing up did I ever even catch a glimpse of that mystical figure so loved by Reagan and the right, the Welfare Queen, living in luxury, eating Bon bons in her stylishly appointed public housing, all while collecting the hard earned money of god fearing white Americans. :eek:hoh:

Must be because she moved here and multiplied.

I feel terrible for the kid, but his plight rests on his parents, not the government. No EMT? That's what taxes pay for. Don't work, don't pay taxes, no ambulance. It's really not a hard concept.

People are meant to work to provide themselves and their families food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, education, etc. The government should build bridges, roads, and provide emergency personnel with THAT region's tax dollars. Don't like what that region has to offer? Pick up and move to a region whom you'd prefer to be a part of and submit your tax dollars.

Society kills me with how backwards it has become. You know, if you find a stray cat, you take it in. Care for it. But you can't take in 16 of them. Then they breed, and it puts more and more strain on the caregiver. Before you know it, you've got 1543 cats and none of them can take care of themselves. People are the same way. Our society is overpopulated with beings that cannot take care of themselves, and Bob Barker needs to be their spokesperson.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Must be because she moved here and multiplied.

I feel terrible for the kid, but his plight rests on his parents, not the government. No EMT? That's what taxes pay for. Don't work, don't pay taxes, no ambulance. It's really not a hard concept.

People are meant to work to provide themselves and their families food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, education, etc. The government should build bridges, roads, and provide emergency personnel with THAT region's tax dollars. Don't like what that region has to offer? Pick up and move to a region whom you'd prefer to be a part of and submit your tax dollars.

Society kills me with how backwards it has become. You know, if you find a stray cat, you take it in. Care for it. But you can't take in 16 of them. Then they breed, and it puts more and more strain on the caregiver. Before you know it, you've got 1543 cats and none of them can take care of themselves. People are the same way. Our society is overpopulated with beings that cannot take care of themselves, and Bob Barker needs to be their spokesperson.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, but don't forget that according to St. Rush, only hos use birth control, so that puts a crimp in trying to slow down the birth rate........what to do, what to do?

My heart aches when I read this. To think this poor kid had nowhere to turn. We need to provide outlets for children showing signs of depression so that they can get the help they need before its too late. Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

A preliminary investigation showed that he had threatened to commit suicide several times recently, police at the scene said.

police said the youth's mother was a crack-cocaine user who was high at the time that he went through the window.

http://www.freep.com/article/201207...ls-to-death-possible-suicide?odyssey=nav|head

3 year old RieLee Lovell is dead because her babysitters were smoking meth...

This 9 year old boy was suicidal and goes out a 9th floor window while his 'mom' is high on crack...

These poor babies.

The crack user quote doesn't appear in the linked article. :waitasec:

Property and business taxes have been on the decline in Detroit for a number of years, but spending has not. The city has spent about $150 million more per year over the past several years than money it has taken in, according to Bing. Bonds were used to help make up the difference.
link

FYI that city services are paid through local property taxes. Detroit is economically depressed with much lower homeownership and property values for years, driving down property taxes & thus city revenue. The national discourse on federal taxes and the role of the federal government has zero impact on this, and blaming national politicians makes no sense.

Detroit loses a staggering 25% of its population in a decade

"This came unexpected," the 9-year-old child's mother told the Free Press on Friday...She said she was in the apartment taking a nap at the time and isn't sure what happened.

"I can't even tell you because I really don't know," she said before stopping the interview. The child had threatened suicide in the past, police said, declining to say when those threats occurred...She admitted to using crack cocaine and alcohol in the past.

Court records show the family was troubled.

Before the 9-year-old was born, his mother lost custody of her three young children, court documents show. Her oldest three children were raised by another family member...

Her parental rights were terminated when she failed to visit the children weekly, complete parenting classes, submit to drug and alcohol screens and provide proof that she had housing suitable for the children, the records showed.
more facts here

So sorry this sweet little boy felt he had no hope and nowhere to turn. At least he's safe, cherished, and loved in heaven now, but I wish he'd felt that here.

link

FYI that city services are paid through local property taxes. Detroit is economically depressed with much lower homeownership and property values for years, driving down property taxes & thus city revenue. The national discourse on federal taxes and the role of the federal government has zero impact on this, and blaming national politicians makes no sense.

Detroit loses a staggering 25% of its population in a decade

Very true--and on top of that, what little tax revenue the city was taking in was literally STOLEN by a series of public officials and management level employees of the city. Kwame Kilpatrick is but one in a long string of corrupt officials who installed themselves and helped themselves to whatever they wanted on the backs of the taxpayers. It's a long and very sad story, trials are STILL occurring and there are probably more scandals to come. Right now, the county Detroit sits in is headed by someone who is proudly helping himself and everyone else to incredible salaries, benefits and perks.

The corruption mentality is alive and well here in Michigan. The result is no ability to count on vital services like police, fire and EMS.

My heart aches when I read this. To think this poor kid had nowhere to turn. We need to provide outlets for children showing signs of depression so that they can get the help they need before its too late. Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

THANK YOU. This is about the tragic death of a 9 year old boy, there was no resource to help him.

It's always bothered me that those we most depend on, who risk the most for us, are the first ones cut. Either we need a more solid funding mechanism than fluctuating property taxes, or local govt needs to learn to better manage $ and put some back in times of surplus to protect vital services. Or cut waste and nonessential personnel & services!

Frustrating too that this mom's issues were known, she'd lost parental rights to the older children, he'd threatened suicide before, and CPS was involved with the family, yet this still happened.

There were resources to help him - his mom and CPS failed him, IMO.

It was pretty sad to see the neighbor took a standoffish approach when she heard him hit the ground and saw his crumpled body. I'm glad she asked someone to call 911, but I'd have run to him, comforted him and tried to help as best I could. If nothing else, so someone held his hand and brushed his hair back from his little face as he died. Terribly tragic.

It's also horrible no EMS came. Not their fault, I bet, just too few available. That needs to be addressed in Detroit ASAP.

As does the mother's issues. How can she say she has no idea why when he'd threatened suicide before? If she has any other children in her care, I hope they're immediately removed. If that quote without a link is true, that she was high on crack at the time, I hope she's charged with neglect.

And I hope there's a full investigation by CPS as to why they left this poor child in her care even after he expressed suicidal thoughts. :cry:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back