Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Quote Originally Posted by HOUSTON MOM View Post
    I remember MS's Dad said there would be no bargaining on the Nancy Grace show.
    Yep, and he said it in another interview that week as well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by audie View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with SteveP from the last thread.

Possibly unlikely, but not probably unlikely. JMO
    Jumping off your posts but not necessarily talking about actual cause of death, I would imagine they could determine if, for example, a knife where involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I think the point of discussing the LP case and where she was found would be to possibly shed some light on where Mickey might be found.

We know through MSM now that the property she was found on was a rented property. It was not suggested that the renter knew BSL at all. I doubt the renter did know BSL. The renter had only lived there a month. August/September? JMO
    http://www.raynetoday.com/view/full_...home_news_lead

It has been rumored that there was some connection between the owner of that rental property and BSL. Locals are stating there is a connection. I guess it is just a rumor that I cannot discuss at this point.

I cannot find the article on the accident June 19th on HWY 95 that according to locals on this thread BSL was allegedly involved in, so I am guess that is another rumor that we should not discuss?

I just feel that the connection between BSL and the property LP was found on, plus the location of the property might be important in helping LE find Mickey.

If any of this makes any sense at all.
    I agree the connection is valid. You may not be able to tell on the map, but there is a HUGE densely wooded area that is bordered on the west by hwy 95 and the south by Brigman hwy and goes as far north to almost reach 190 in some areas. Easy to get to this area from BSL's home, probably like 5 min or less by vehicle. Easy to get through on a 4 wheeler via backroads too. Would probably require a machete to get thru the woods, no one would casually go looking in this area. Wonder if he had access to a 4 wheeler? Nearly everyone out here has one and there's always people up and down the backroads on 4 wheelers, would not be out of place. Seems like he's familiar with this area, has gotten away (until now) with a crime tied to this area and the area is literally on the boundary line between 2 parishes (jurisdictional red tape to tie things up).

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to katie78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Seems a waste for society to pay for murders spending the rest of their lives in jail - IMO, once the appeals run out, they become organ donors - perhaps giving a bit of life back to someone in need...
    Agree with the sentiment but I would put my own feelings aside on this one. For me, I would be asking the Shunicks. Whatever they want. If they don't want a deal, go for the DP. If they want to know where Mickey's body is so they can bring her home in exchange for life w/o, then I cut the deal.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reedus23 For This Useful Post:

Is all the evidence revealed to the Grand Jury or just enough to justify a trial?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Houston Mom For This Useful Post:

Lisa Pate's family talks to KATC's Jenise Fernandez today at 5 adn 6. She's the second woman Brandon Lavergne is accused of killing.
    I reached out to Lisa Pate's family. They say hearing the indictment yesterday was shocking. They describe Lisa as a loving and caring person. I'll have more tonight at 5 and 6.

http://www.facebook.com/katctv3
    Hubby: "So LE knows that 99.99% of the time it's the spouse".
    Me: "Right, so don't even try anything"

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by reedus23 View Post
    Jumping off your posts but not necessarily talking about actual cause of death, I would imagine they could determine if, for example, a knife where involved.
    Or found a bullet within or under bones. Would be harder to find though, if the bones were very scattered.

Skull bashed in might speak to a cause of death. JMO

Wish I lived close enough to go look for MS. BMH NOW

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Houston Mom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duscajun View Post
    JMO....but I don't think BSL will confess to anything....even if they take the death penalty off the table. My reasoning for this: If he committed more than just these two murders (which is a very high probability), he knows that it will be tacked on to the next victim that they link to him. I don't think he has anything to lose at this point!
    To play devil's advocate, the plea could be across the board. In other words, it doesn't matter if he gets 1 life sentence or 10, as long as he is in prison for the rest of this lifetime. Under this scenario, he is given the opportunity to provide details on ALL crimes he committed with the agreement he gets life w/o parole on them and no DP. Obviously, to avoid the DP he has to come clean on everything and fully cooperate in locating any missing persons. To him, it is one lifetime in prison, whether its one murder or 10. At the same time, he controls when he dies, not the state. Overall, I probably agree with you, that the odds are he won't confess, but it could be handled in a manner that addresses that concern.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to reedus23 For This Useful Post:

I remember MS's Dad said there would be no bargaining on the Nancy Grace show.
    My recollection is that he was willing to let BSL go free if he could bring Mickey home alive but that if she were dead, then forget it. I think what we are discussing now is a little bit different. He may be of that opinion but I think it was expressed in a different context at that time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reedus23 For This Useful Post:

gngr~snap is offline Verified Professional Pediatric Triage/Phone Nurse
    At the time, Lavergne was in the U.S. Army, stationed at Fort Polk. Vernon Parish sources requested anonymity say records indicate he was also accused of, but not arrested or charged with, rape during his time there.

Read more: EvangelineToday.com - Shunick suspect s background one of contradictions includes homicide probe alleged rape

Is this yet another rape? The woman didn't press charges...

Also in 1999 the remains of a missing woman were found in an isolated part of Acadia Parish

Normally reliable law enforcement sources say Lavergne was among persons of interest in that case. Authorities were never able to close the circle of evidence and charge anyone in what was considered by them a homicide

so he was a POI!!!

~oh Bessie??? I found that link!

20. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to gngr~snap For This Useful Post:

Wish I lived close enough to go look for MS. BMH NOW
    Me too!

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nola For This Useful Post:

Let's not have LINKAGE BLINDNESS between the Mickey Shunick and Holly Bobo cases. Since there is a renewed search for Holly Bobo, I remembered these posts from my participation on the Holly Bobo threads.

Holly went to camp in Mississippi. Could the perp. have seen her there?

I asked in my post 4-26-2011, #320 if Holly had gone to any camps in the southern states

Here is a reply to my query by Miziree. I quoted Miziree response in my post #338:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miziree
    This was posted today:
    http://www.tnbaptist.org/BRPrint.asp?ID=3804

Bobo, an active member of Corinth Baptist and a Christian from an early age, sings solos at the church. In fact, she was scheduled to sing April 17 at Corinth. She and her family have been members of the church for six years.

Through Corinth Baptist Bobo participated in Super Summer, a Tennessee Baptist Convention camp for teens, and a church missions trip to Mississippi to help people with special needs enjoy a camp.also:
    Bobo “grew up in our youth group,” said Franks. She planned to use her nursing skills on the church’s frequent trips to Belize.

My question was:

I'm wondering if Holly went to any church sponsored young person's retreats? And, if so, were these retreats composed of young people from different southern states? We know she was in the choir at her church and sang there, right?
    Last edited by concentric; 07-19-2012 at 04:12 PM.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aviatrix View Post
    I would like his army history and his work history added to that timeline. Also where he was incarcerated at and if he ever was off of the property at the prison. And exactly the date and time he was released from that prison. Also what properties he ever owned or rented. Someone said he was at one time in oakdale which is Allen Parish -- we left that parish out. I would also like to know on his job at Woods Group where he was payed to travel, reimbursed for mileage, etc. That will tell us if he was in tennessee, Florida, etc. or even in Indiana....I would like to have alone time with his GPS records.....
    He would not be paid to travel unless it was for work or maybe a school. More than likely it would be within Louisiana, Texas or maybe Mississippi. Since he was working out of Venice he might be paid mileage to and from work, but most Wood Group mechanics and operators do not get paid mileage. Wood Group is basically like a staffing service and he would have been contracted to a oil company as a mechanic to work on generators and compressors as part of a permanent crew on a production platform,or to fill in when needed. He probably had very little contact with Woodgroup and dealt mainly with the oil company that he was contracted to. He was not a very good mechanic from what I knew of him.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Panchovilla_36 For This Useful Post:

gngr~snap is offline Verified Professional Pediatric Triage/Phone Nurse
    “We’re looking into all of our unresolved cases and we’re looking into other areas as well,” Cpt. Kip Judice, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office, explained. “Anytime you have a person who you believe to be responsible for multiple deaths, you’re going to review all cold cases. So what we’ve done is established a course of time to determine any missing person cases or homicides that have similarities"

http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/crimetra...andon-lavergne

Seems a waste for society to pay for murders spending the rest of their lives in jail - IMO, once the appeals run out, they become organ donors - perhaps giving a bit of life back to someone in need...
    I totally agree.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galbug For This Useful Post:

best idea i've ever heard.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by audie View Post
    Or found a bullet within or under bones. Would be harder to find though, if the bones were very scattered.

Skull bashed in might speak to a cause of death. JMO
    Hmm...thinking outside the box here:

Could it be possible that a weapon -- whose ballistics matched a bullet possibly found at the scene of the dump -- was found at BSL's trailer?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HouDat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gngr~snap View Post
    “We’re looking into all of our unresolved cases and we’re looking into other areas as well,” Cpt. Kip Judice, Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office, explained. “Anytime you have a person who you believe to be responsible for multiple deaths, you’re going to review all cold cases. So what we’ve done is established a course of time to determine any missing person cases or homicides that have similarities"

----------
    Yep. And a still missing person is: Holly Bobo, who was in Mississippi at one time. Maybe the perp. saw her then, and stalked her. Check my post above. I know MLE has.

Other similarities? Renewed search for Holly Bobo, perp. wearing camo in Bobo case, perp. possibly wearing camo in Shunick case?

Thank you.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Wonder if some guy remembers BSL wearing camo?

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houston Mom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LaffySleuth View Post
    I think they'll try Pate's first. Say he's convicted of it, then they'll probably bargain with him for MS's location in exchange for life with the possibility of parole in 25 years. But he does have to plead guilty to both murders.

The aggravated kidnapping charge will probably be thrown out as it has no bearing if he's convicted of the murders of both.
    It's hard to know for sure, but I feel that they will naturally try the one with the most evidence. I remember in the Derrick Todd Lee case, they knew he had killed ALL of the women because of DNA, however, he was tried only in the case of Charlotte Murray Pace because they had the most reliable evidence in that one. I remember Pam Kinamore's mother Ms. Marino said that was fine with her, just so he'd never see the light of day again. She was at trial everyday supporting Murray's mother.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MamaRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    Let's not have LINKAGE BLINDNESS between the Mickey Shunick and Holly Bobo cases. Since there is a renewed search for Holly Bobo, I remembered these posts from my participation on the Holly Bobo threads.

Holly went to camp in Mississippi. Could the perp. have seen her there?

I asked in my post 4-26-2011, #320 if Holly had gone to any camps in the southern states

Here is a reply to my query by Miziree. I quoted Miziree response in my post #338:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miziree
    This was posted today:
    http://www.tnbaptist.org/BRPrint.asp?ID=3804

Bobo, an active member of Corinth Baptist and a Christian from an early age, sings solos at the church. In fact, she was scheduled to sing April 17 at Corinth. She and her family have been members of the church for six years.

Through Corinth Baptist Bobo participated in Super Summer, a Tennessee Baptist Convention camp for teens, and a church missions trip to Mississippi to help people with special needs enjoy a camp.

also:
    Bobo “grew up in our youth group,” said Franks. She planned to use her nursing skills on the church’s frequent trips to Belize.

My question was:

I'm wondering if Holly went to any church sponsored young person's retreats? And, if so, were these retreats composed of young people from different southern states? We know she was in the choir at her church and sang there, right?
    I don't personally think there is a link. However will throw out that Acadian Baptist Center in Richard (Eunice address) attracts large groups and camps from all over La and surrounding areas, not just Baptist or religious groups either. One of the best ways to get from anywhere on hwy 95 to say the Crowley/I-10 area via hwy 13 is to cut across academy dr where this camp is located. Academy dr runs thru the camp and until a couple years ago was the only paved road that ran to hwy 13 in the nearby vicinity. However, I think it's a huge stretch to say that BSL could've seen HB at this camp (if she even was ever there), and chose to target her specifically, following her all the way to TN. IMO, the camo is not enough to link. Everything is camo down here and I suspect it's probably the same in any area where hunting is a favorite activity. I see men, women, children, infants, dogs in camo several times a day. In south Louisiana, camo is the new black.

41. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to katie78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gngr~snap View Post

It's nice to see LE give the community the proper kudos for their role in this case.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to nola For This Useful Post:

Pure genius. It makes me sick that these people get to keep living after taking someone's life. I've always wondered how this board would lean on the issue. Love the organ donor idea though.

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RMadness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katie78 View Post
    I don't personally think there is a link. However will throw out that Acadian Baptist Center in Richard (Eunice address) attracts large groups and camps from all over La and surrounding areas, not just Baptist or religious groups either. One of the best ways to get from anywhere on hwy 95 to say the Crowley/I-10 area via hwy 13 is to cut across academy dr where this camp is located. Academy dr runs thru the camp and until a couple years ago was the only paved road that ran to hwy 13 in the nearby vicinity. However, I think it's a huge stretch to say that BSL could've seen HB at this camp (if she even was ever there), and chose to target her specifically, following her all the way to TN. IMO, the camo is not enough to link. Everything is camo down here and I suspect it's probably the same in any area where hunting is a favorite activity. I see men, women, children, infants, dogs in camo several times a day. In south Louisiana, camo is the new black.
    -----------

Then why suddenly is there a renewed search for Holly going on? There has been little activity for a year.

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast