Make–A-Wish rules let dad block daughter’s dream vacation

Seek&Find

Former Member
Reaction score
Make-A-Wish rules that require two parents to sign off on a sponsored trip are allowing an Ohio dad to block his 4-year-old daughter from taking a "wished" Disney World vacation.

The Sentinel-Tribune in Bowling Green reports that McKenna May was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010 and endured 15 spinal taps, skin burns, multiple chemotherapy treatments and steroid injections. She reportedly will not be ruled "cancer free" until five years after her last treatment.

The girl's father said he had a brief relationship with her mother. Now married to another woman, he said her mom was going to use the trip, in part, to go house-hunting in Florida to make his bi-weekly visitations more difficult.

Her dad, however, said doctors gave the girl a 99 percent chance of survival and she’s "got tons of time" to go to Disney World.

"I remember her telling me how she can’t wait to see Mickey Mouse and Cinderella while she had needles in her chest. She even packed her small suitcase."
:( link

The young girl, McKenna May of Haskins, had the trip postponed twice while was undergoing treatment for leukemia and finally was set to go in August when the father refused to sign off on the trip, the girl's mother and grandmother said Thursday.

They haven't told McKenna why the Make-A-Wish trip was canceled. "We've told her we're still going to Disney, just not when she thought it was happening," said her grandmother, Lori Helppie. "We don't want her to judge her father."
link

Poor thing. Cancelled 3x now.

Mom & grandma sure are handling it with more grace than dad, IMO.

I have a little different perspective on this. I notice the father says the child was given a 99% chance of survival.

I'm not saying this wasn't serious. But I also know a woman whose child had a very survivable form of cancer, was treated for a very short period of time and it hasn't recurred in years now.

However--as soon as the word "cancer" was mentioned, mom was on the phone gathering goodies for daughter, whatever charity did things for children with cancer she was on it. They went to Disney World--2 parents, 2 children and a friend. They saw professional sports games with either private suites or extremely VIP tickets, along with meeting players. They received other free trips and things like a bicycle, a remote control car, etc.

This child at no time was in danger of death unless she was playing in the street and was hit by a car. The mother was approached by people in a gentle and then less gentle way telling her that her child's illness was not a reason to take and take, but it fell on deaf ears.

So dad's mention of the survivability makes an impression on me.

But Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, said that McKenna clearly qualifies for a wish since she has gone through so much in her two-year struggle to beat leukemia.

"The doctors are the ones who determine if she is qualified," McConnell explained.

Make A Wish has specific medical criteria regarding who receives a wish, and doctors must complete paperwork. Make A Wish Eligibility Form.

Some of the comments under the linked pieces, ie thinking of this trip may have helped pull her through treatment, and the mom whose daughter was in remission from leukemia then died, make good points, IMO.

Another bit from dad:

"I wasn't allowed to be involved," he said. "It ticked me off."
link

The foundation already approved her. It costs dad nothing. Seems very petty and mean spirited not to let his little girl, whose memories to date probably mainly consist of needles, pain, and sickness, go have a gleeful time now that she's well enough to go.

Moo

The girl I wrote about was approved by Make-A-Wish too. The doctor signed off on it. But really, her cancer would have only been "life-threatening" if it wasn't treated. If the organization is hoping the medical community will be the gatekeeper, maybe they need a better gatekeeper.

The child I'm talking about had a better chance of being hit by lightning than dying from her cancer. I don't know, it just really irritated me to see this family sucking up things from charities when they really didn't have a right to.

But, it's just my opinion based on this one experience. This mother was very quick to try to shame someone into being quiet by calling the person questioning "heartless", "cold-hearted" and similar and it worked for the most part.

There are scammers everywhere and when it comes to children, most people would prefer to believe the "poor mother" than the person raising doubts.

Gee michmi wish I could see the connection you are making - serious vs no threat for survival - but please do not explain, not asking for that.

So far this father seems one angry sob with a chip on his shoulder to punish the mother and or mother-in-law. When that is the case, men (sometimes the mom) cannot see the forest for the trees. His involvement to date is ...?

Will dad ante up a few bucks for his daughter to go on such a nice trip? No one is asking or ever asked him to foot the whole bill. He's a jerk, imo.

Gee michmi wish I could see the connection you are making - serious vs no threat for survival - but please do not explain, not asking for that.

So far this father seems one angry sob with a chip on his shoulder to punish the mother and or mother-in-law. When that is the case, men (sometimes the mom) cannot see the forest for the trees. His involvement to date is ...?

Will dad ante up a few bucks for his daughter to go on such a nice trip? No one is asking or ever asked him to foot the whole bill. He's a jerk, imo.

No loving father or mother would deny their child a trip to Disneyworld, let alone a free trip! She's been through a lot and deserves it!
Some parents should loose rights just for being selfish @holes that they truly are.
What else does he do to her to make her life unbearable just to punish the mother?

According to the website, make a wish doesn't just provide wishes for children that are going to die within 6 months. So I don't know where her father got this idea. And she is not "free a clear" since it takes five years to determine if she is cancer free.

I am merely providing an opinion based on a scammer mother I knew.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the situation in the news.

I guess I have a sense of right and wrong. If the child had a 99% chance of survival, I PERSONALLY would not take a free trip to Disney World, I would allow the charity to use that money to send a child who had a life-threatening illness to Orlando.

But that's just me.

Here's another example. I've had thyroid cancer. Anyone who knows about this cancer knows it is usually VERY slow growing and almost completely curable. Could I die from it? Maybe. If I didn't treat it, I might die. Even if I didn't treat it, my chances of dying within 5 years would be the same as being in a plane crash.

Would I start trying to contact charities telling people I had cancer to get free things or a trip to see my mother? No.

I did have cancer, so technically I might be able to contact a charity providing stuff for adults with cancer. To me, though--there ARE degrees of illness and doing that would be 100% wrong. Make-A-Wish doesn't just call people to offer these trips either--they are solicited by a parent.

So there you go.

You all carry on.

Make A Wish has specific medical criteria regarding who receives a wish, and doctors must complete paperwork. Make A Wish Eligibility Form.

Some of the comments under the linked pieces, ie thinking of this trip may have helped pull her through treatment, and the mom whose daughter was in remission from leukemia then died, make good points, IMO.

Another bit from dad:

link

The foundation already approved her. It costs dad nothing. Seems very petty and mean spirited not to let his little girl, whose memories to date probably mainly consist of needles, pain, and sickness, go have a gleeful time now that she's well enough to go.

Moo

Hopefully , now that the story is known to the public, people will donate so this little girl can go on the trip. As you said ,with much of her life filled with sickness and painful memories she deserves to experience a wonderful time.

Um, she was TWO years old when diagnosed. And in TWO SHORT years has had FIFTEEN spinal taps and chemo...Um, and recommended by a DOCTOR...Um, what gives this doofus of a "father" the GALL to try and alter Make A Wish's criteria? WTF - Only KIDS with six months to live should be eligible????? I vote for only the primary care parent having to sign...I need to stop, otherwise I'm gonna get a time out...

I hope McKenna goes and has the best time ever! So glad her mom and grandma are making sure she will have the chance to have a normal childhood experience after everything she's been through.

I think that the sperm donor is just doesn't want his ex-wife getting a free trip and he doesn't care if his pettiness hurts an innocent child. He is saying no just because he can.

Some twisted people get a kick out of having the power to be cruel. Drew Peterson comes to mind. People like that have conscience, no compassion, and consider women and children to be possessions instead of human beings.

MOO all over the place!

I had to come back and ask...can we please have the word "dad" removed from the title? "Dad" evokes warm feelings of love and caring, something this donor, JMO, does NOT have...

I had to come back and ask...can we please have the word "dad" removed from the title? "Dad" evokes warm feelings of love and caring, something this donor, JMO, does NOT have...

I understand the sentiment! I just copied the title from the first article I posted. :present:

Praying some big benefactor hears her story and flies her down in a jet or something. I can just picture her precious little face in one of the princess gowns, eyes filled with wonder at all Disneyworld offers, and peals of giggles.
:princess:

I guess I have a sense of right and wrong. If the child had a 99% chance of survival, I PERSONALLY would not take a free trip to Disney World, I would allow the charity to use that money to send a child who had a life-threatening illness to Orlando.

But that's just me.

Here's another example. I've had thyroid cancer. Anyone who knows about this cancer knows it is usually VERY slow growing and almost completely curable. Could I die from it? Maybe. If I didn't treat it, I might die. Even if I didn't treat it, my chances of dying within 5 years would be the same as being in a plane crash.

Would I start trying to contact charities telling people I had cancer to get free things or a trip to see my mother? No.

I did have cancer, so technically I might be able to contact a charity providing stuff for adults with cancer. To me, though--there ARE degrees of illness and doing that would be 100% wrong. Make-A-Wish doesn't just call people to offer these trips either--they are solicited by a parent.

So there you go.

You all carry on.

I see your point and I agree with you. A 99% chance of survival would not warrant a trip over a child with a much lower survival rate. The dad is a jerk and should come up with at least half the cash for the trip himself, rather than leave it to an organization that has so many children to help.

Hopefully , now that the story is known to the public, people will donate so this little girl can go on the trip. As you said ,with much of her life filled with sickness and painful memories she deserves to experience a wonderful time.

BBM I agree, if a bus monitor can get half a mil, then this girl should go to Disney World. It would be good PR on their part to give her the trip. IMHO

But that's just me.

So there you go.

You all carry on.

I've had thyroid cancer too. :seeya: But the treatment for that is probably not the same as for leukemia. My treatment wasn't fun, but I have a feeling it didn't last as long as what this girl's been through.

IMO a little girl who's been through two years of treatment deserves to go if Make-A-Wish allows it, whether or not she is likely to die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back