Former hospital worker accused of transmitting hepatitis C

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/justice/new-hampshire-hepatitis-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Former hospital worker accused of transmitting hepatitis C
By Julia Talanova, CNN
updated 9:13 AM EDT, Fri July 20, 2012

(CNN) -- A former medical technician was arrested on Thursday in connection with a hepatitis C outbreak at a hospital in Exeter, New Hampshire, a federal prosecutor announced.

David Matthew Kwiatkowski, 32, is accused of infecting at least 30 people when he worked in the cardiac catheterization lab (CCL) at Exeter Hospital. He also is suspected of stealing controlled substance Fentanyl, a powerful anesthetic that is substantially more potent than morphine.

According to an affidavit filed in federal court in New Hampshire, Kwiatkowski is charged with obtaining controlled substances by fraud and tampering with a consumer product. He faces more than 20 years in prison if convicted....

:sigh: What is wrong with people?

:furious::furious:FBI says serial infector a self centered habitaul liar.

It's amazing it took so long for co-workers to know this guy was an addict. I was wondering how he was still performing medical duties at all on Fentanyl, but according to this link at least one Nurse complained he was high.

He said he didn't due drugs and was no "shooter". A phlebotomist who drew his blood said he had fresh tracks. He said he didn't. :doh:

Among his lies were his fiancee died, his aunt died, he played college football and other lies which are consistent IMO to typical addict behavior. People don't think a person would lie that their own aunt died when she didn't? In a heartbeat no pun intended.

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20120720/NEWS03/120729990

A month after investigations began a family member calledpolice to say this guy was suicidal. He had a gun. They found a syringe in his car that was marked with the word Fentanyl. There it is.

Wow- he should never have been ANYWHERE near fentanyl - or any other controlled substance as a tech. This speaks - at least in part - to procedural laxity on the part of the hospitals he worked at.

The poor patients, not getting pain relief because of this chucklehead.

Not getting pain relief is the least of their problems, considering how many of them were infected with hepatitis C.

Wow- he should never have been ANYWHERE near fentanyl - or any other controlled substance as a tech. This speaks - at least in part - to procedural laxity on the part of the hospitals he worked at.

The poor patients, not getting pain relief because of this chucklehead.

When I worked at the hospital we had to account for every drop of Fentanyl dispensed. The only way, if they were keeping records, he could have gotten it would be to short patients. JMO

When I worked at the hospital we had to account for every drop of Fentanyl dispensed. The only way, if they were keeping records, he could have gotten it would be to short patients. JMO

I just read both of the other articles and that's what he was doing. So in order for him to get the Fentanyl, he had to let patients get painful procedures without any anesthetic.

Tech?

Getting Fentanyl

I do anesthesia and that should have been INCREDIBLY hard!

Wow,
Although I never had contact with this "unusual person", I did have an incident in the hospital, just hours after surgery where I was in excruciating agony and it seemed that the morphine drip was nothing more than water for all it did. I had a huge tube stuck thru my back and into my kidney and I was in incredible pain and my pulse was over 130. The night nurse coldly said "I'm not waking the doctor up just because you are being a baby. Go to sleep and you won't be in pain". Then she left.

By morning my pulse skyrocketed to 140 and my morning nurse (a different one) flew down the hall and got me a triple dose. Now I'm wondering if that night nurse took my meds cuz I was in excruciating pain which was validated by my vital signs and she was refusing to do a thing and avoided me. I just saw evil in her eyes. I still have nightmares about that happening again cuz there was nothing I could do about it. I was at her mercy.

This guy needs to be put away forever. He has zero compassion for human life. He was willing to infect people with a disease and leave them in pain just so he could get high. Words are not enough!!!!

Wow,
Although I never had contact with this "unusual person", I did have an incident in the hospital, just hours after surgery where I was in excruciating agony and it seemed that the morphine drip was nothing more than water for all it did. I had a huge tube stuck thru my back and into my kidney and I was in incredible pain and my pulse was over 130. The night nurse coldly said "I'm not waking the doctor up just because you are being a baby. Go to sleep and you won't be in pain". Then she left.

By morning my pulse skyrocketed to 140 and my morning nurse (a different one) flew down the hall and got me a triple dose. Now I'm wondering if that night nurse took my meds cuz I was in excruciating pain which was validated by my vital signs and she was refusing to do a thing and avoided me. I just saw evil in her eyes. I still have nightmares about that happening again cuz there was nothing I could do about it. I was at her mercy.

This guy needs to be put away forever. He has zero compassion for human life. He was willing to infect people with a disease and leave them in pain just so he could get high. Words are not enough!!!!

Wow! She may well have been giving you straight saline.

Allegedly, he was taking fentanyl filled syringes, injecting himself, and filling the syringes with saline. That's how the patients allegedly were infected with hepatitis C.

[[snipped from articlehttp://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2012/07/21/high_possibility_of_more_hepatitis_infections_prompts_investigations_by_5_more_states/ ]]The question of whether medical technicians should be licensed is a valid one, said Dr. Sidney Wolfe, *director of the health research group at Public Citizen, a consumer group. But, he said, the more pressing questions is, “Who was watching the Fentanyl cabinet?”

Licensure will not weed out or stop a confident narcotic diverter and psychopath. It won't prevent this kind of person from wreaking havoc, as we have too many medical doctors, registered nurses and other licensed healthcare workers busted every year for diversion or some form of patient abuse.

These tragedies will happen again and again until psychopaths are "prevented". I have a silly hope this will happen, not in my life time. A lot of sacred cows will need to be sacrificed before that happens.

This guy got around and somehow I knew Philly would have been a stop.

He worked briefly at Temple.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-...-for-liver-transplants-new-hampshire-patients

No indications yet of ilegal activity and supposedly this was before he had Hep C.

Talk about a scare though. The news will give you a blip before it comes on and the talking head warns "Hep C outbreak extends to Philly". Had my mom at her Cardiologist yesterday and don't she ask the guy about it? I'm like "Ma I told ya it was at a different hospital. Are we in Temple? No we're not".

Prayers for all the poor people right now waiting on results.

Wow,

What a *advertiser censored*. I'm so sorry that happened to you, Swamp Mama. We have to advocate for ourselves, but when you're laying there after major surgery what can you do?

Sadly this happens all too often. Like way more than people know about.

Licensure will not weed out or stop a confident narcotic diverter and psychopath. It won't prevent this kind of person from wreaking havoc, as we have too many medical doctors, registered nurses and other licensed healthcare workers busted every year for diversion or some form of patient abuse.

These tragedies will happen again and again until psychopaths are "prevented". I have a silly hope this will happen, not in my life time. A lot of sacred cows will need to be sacrificed before that happens.

They keep calling him a psychopath. Can't he just be an addict? He may have at some point in life been a compassionate, caring person. Everything he did was typical addict behavior. Point blank he needed that Fentanyl and he was going to get it no matter who he infected. He needed his job obviously so he'd make up all those unbelievable, sensational lies. Addicts and their lies never cease to amaze me. Just comes out their mouth and they don't even know what they're saying.

Good point on the "psycopath prevention". That's a new one.

I just read both of the other articles and that's what he was doing. So in order for him to get the Fentanyl, he had to let patients get painful procedures without any anesthetic.

o.m.g.

sick f.

He would leave the CCL during procedures, sweating profusely, and attended procedures on his off days, according to the affidavit.

... was red in the face and eyes and had white foam around his mouth while he was on duty ...

[bbm] :gasp:

foaming at the mouth?!! come on people, we need to be a little more assertive when seeing something like that ...

if I worked with someone I suspected of this and the hospital admin. was not moving fast enough for me, I'd call the cops right then & there

They keep calling him a psychopath. Can't he just be an addict? ...

What difference does it make as to what he is called? As for the hospitals were he worked, it appears there were a lot of red flags, yet nothing was done for years. I don't have any doubts lawsuits are going to follow.

"If he knew that he was infected and he put those needles back on the shelf, that is the definition of evil," Dr. Richard Besser, ABC News' Chief Health and Medical Editor, told Good Morning America. "Anyone who was in those hospitals when he was working there is potentially at risk. We're talking tens of thousands of people."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/hepatitis-...ease-thousands/story?id=16877168#.UBQIfaDwGSo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back