778 users online (111 members and 667 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. It's not fair to students, players, or coaches who had nothing to do with this scandal.

31 31.96%
  • Yes, for one year.

12 12.37%
  • Yes, for two years.

10 10.31%
  • Yes, for three years.

9 9.28%
  • Yes, for four (or more) years.

32 32.99%
  • Not sure.

5 5.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34
    Quote Originally Posted by RR0004 View Post
    The students and atheletes of PSU today should be free to celebrate. This is not their doing. It's time for the school to move forward, IMHO.
    Move forward, with the understanding of the past and accepting the responsibility for it.

BTW: I am an alumnus.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    Great point. I'm glad the sanctions were lifted to reward the PSU leadership and the sane alums who advocated changes.

If the Paternos, Lubrano and the lunatic fringe had gotten their way and PSU had fought the sanctions, the NCAA might still be investigating.

As things worked out, the NCAA sanctions are over before the PSU 3 have even gone to trial and while a federal investigation is still being conducted (at least it appears the FBI is still investigating).
    I doubt if they would be investigating. It looks like the NCAA was planning to use their procedure for termination or suspension of PSU's membership. It would have gone to the NCAA's Convention in January 2013. The effect would have been to end all intercollegiate sports at PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    Move forward, with the understanding of the past and accepting the responsibility for it.

BTW: I am an alumnus.
    Why do the students need to accept the responsibility for what happened? My son has a full understanding of the situation, but he still takes a great deal of pride in his school and the education he received there. He's given back to the school and even now mentors students (as an alumnus). And every Saturday in the Fall, we watch Penn State football. Now, if I can only get tickets to the Rutgers game.

Quote Originally Posted by RR0004 View Post
    Why do the students need to accept the responsibility for what happened? My son has a full understanding of the situation, but he still takes a great deal of pride in his school and the education he received there. He's given back to the school and even now mentors students (as an alumnus). And every Saturday in the Fall, we watch Penn State football. Now, if I can only get tickets to the Rutgers game.
    We all do need to accept it.

We may be be back, and that is good, but we need to remember why we needed to come back.

RR0004, you've made me think about this. 99.999% of the people who were punished did not do anything wrong.
    What was done and covered up was horrendous. It would have been respectful to the victims, if people did not go out and celebrate. Being happy and excited for the upcoming season is understandable, but celebrating was inappropriate. The fact that students could not comprehend that, bared to me, the true soul of penn state. JMO
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Institutional control can be quite broad. I think the NCAA did act in accordance with its rules, specifically:

3.2.5 Loss of Active Membership.
    3.2.5.1 Termination or Suspension. The membership of any active member failing to maintain the academic
    or athletics standards required for such membership or failing to meet the conditions and obligations of
    membership may be suspended, terminated or otherwise disciplined by a vote of two-thirds of the delegates
    present and voting at an annual Convention. Membership shall not be suspended or terminated unless:
    (a) A notice of intention to suspend or terminate membership, stating the grounds on which such a motion
    will be based, is given in writing to the chair of the Board of Directors and to the president or chancellor
    of the member institution on or before the first day of November prior to the Convention; (Revised:
    3/8/06)
    (b) The Board of Directors approves the notification of intention to move for suspension or termination; and
    (c) Such notice is included in the Official Notice of the annual Convention.
    3.2.5.1.1 Cessation of Rights and Privileges. All rights and privileges of the member shall cease upon
    any termination or suspension of active membership.

Judge just rejected withdrawal of the Corman suit.

Paterno suit against the NCAA was withdrawn by the Paternos. They received no settlement. http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06...river_home_pop

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34