View Poll Results: Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. It's not fair to students, players, or coaches who had nothing to do with this scandal.

27 29.03%
  • Yes, for one year.

12 12.90%
  • Yes, for two years.

10 10.75%
  • Yes, for three years.

9 9.68%
  • Yes, for four (or more) years.

32 34.41%
  • Not sure.

5 5.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

let me say this, 20 minutes before Penn Satate learns its penalties from the NCAA, I have been listening to national sports talk radio this weekend, and I tell you the disguisting manner in which the national sports media has reacted to the news that psu will receive "unprecedented penalties" makes clear how all this happened in the first place. the national sports media is inhabited by short sighted lemmings who apparently have difficulty thinking for themselves and are most comfortable repeating what a few others have said.

even at this late date, the national sports media doesnt understand the football program at penn state should be given these UNPRECEDENTED penalties. these people are showing how joepa wAS able to fool so many for so long. THEY were the people who kept repeating, over and over, year after year, what a moral, honorable, different kind of man Paterno was. And all the while, it wasnt true but it was their mantra and they ran with it, cause it was the easiest thing to do.

they were putty in paternos hands.

a shamed industry, imo.
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to costalpilot For This Useful Post:

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyBlanche View Post
    I have said this before but I will say it once more.

Agreed. No evidence that PSU officials tried to cover up 1998 at the time.

However. If the 2001 incident had been made public, and it came out at that time that PSU officials knew about the 1998 incident but made no effort afterward, at the very least to prevent JS from bringing kids onto campus, or making sure he was chaperoned, or any other of numerous actions they could have taken knowing about 1998, then scandal would have erupted and recruiting gone down the drain.
    NO KIDDING. It isnt what they did in 1998. Its what they didnt do. They had a warning and they ignored it. Because they were able to. They didnt exercise ther\ care a gardnerer does over his bean crop and they had been put on notice that there was a rabbit ion the garden. but they looked away and did nothing, said nothing. didnt even watch out.

just because a social worker says he doesn t undrestand something doesnt mean the entire administration has to avert their eyes as sandusky continued to molest boys in broad daylight.

they looked away. they averted their eyes. they failed those boys right then and there. in 1998.

and they did it because of KING FOOTBALL
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.

Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”

Jose Baez to da judge :

".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to costalpilot For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Wow, 60 million dollar fine.........
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

fine of 60 million! = 1 yrs revenue of fball team!
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

vacates alll wins since '98

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    fine of 60 million! = 1 yrs revenue of fball team!
    Not too tough then, I guess.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

All wins since '98 vacated. (This should mean that Grambling's Eddie Robinson should again be the winningest college football coach. Paterno had passed him.)

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

This is bad!!!! Just wow!!!

The current playeers will be allowed to transfer.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

4-year bowl ban, loss of scholarships (from 25 to 15, next four years), 5 years' probation.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

4 yr postseason football ban....

taking reporters questions now

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Vacating all wins since 1998 - who would have expected? Since the first incident...wow just wow.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:

Sports Illustrated ‏@SInow
    The NCAA will impose an 'Integrity Monitor" on Penn State to report quarterly on the Board of Trustees for five years

The Associated Press ‏@AP
    BREAKING: NCAA says #PennState perpetuated "football first" culture that must change.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Well.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

1st impression listening to this was tears for the ripple sandusky has caused for so many people. Then anger that this kind of punishment even had to be brougt on. Right now to me this is fair & just. Though I do think this year of football should have been closed. It's sad how inconsequnetial the money figure really is. Ha 1 year revenue.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TobyWong* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tipstaff View Post
    Vacating all wins since 1998 - who would have expected? Since the first incident...wow just wow.
    I suspected Tipstaff! Read my post on pg 4, it's the very last one.

wm

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    All wins since '98 vacated. (This should mean that Grambling's Eddie Robinson should again be the winningest college football coach. Paterno had passed him.)
    Paterno family won't like this

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tipstaff View Post
    Perfect imo

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TobyWong* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Probably either Robinson with an asterisk or Paterno with an asterisk. I'm happy about that.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...osses/related/

But consider this snippet from the NCAA’s website related to charges a program can face:

“However, if an institution agrees with the facts that the investigation has uncovered, the case can enter the summary-disposition process before a notice of allegations is provided. In summary disposition, the school and the enforcement staff agree on the facts and a set of penalties to be imposed; no hearing before the Committee on Infractions is necessary.”

Such a case would bypass the normal NCAA investigative protocol, and indeed that’s what we have here.

Hmmmm. After reading the bolded part, I would bet that Erikson is already aware of the NCAA's sanctions and has agreed to them. Hence, the removal of the statue at such an odd time of day on a Sunday. It makes me wonder if 2A will take away some of JP's wins. The city of Grambling sent a letter requesting they do so, I read somewhere. (GU's coach held the most wins record til JP surpassed it.) All just my speculation.

I guess we'll find out at 9 am. It's gonna be a busy news day!

moo

wm
    I rarely bump my own post, but I was pondering the possibility of JP/PSU being stripped of wins. I am still speechless that it;s wins all the way back to '98!

wm

42. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Mark Emmert wrote a letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson in November that included four questions he wanted the university to answer.

The NCAA felt the questions were answered by the Freeh report and therefore it could act before the university responded, a source familiar with the case said.

Full article - KTLA Los Angeles

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...0,118890.story

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LRinCA For This Useful Post:

I suspected Tipstaff! Read my post on pg 4, it's the very last one.

wm
    You read all the signs WM - I read about Grambling filing to have PS wins vacated but just never suspected the NCAA would go back to 1998.

Good call WM.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    Probably either Robinson with an asterisk or Paterno with an asterisk. I'm happy about that.
    I'm betting on no asterisk and no mention of the name Paterno.

48. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LRinCA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    Where is Bobby Bowden in the ranking now?

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast