IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiw319

Reaction score
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

These girls have been missing all afternoon and the search was suspended tonight now that it's dark here. We're a small town next to a larger city but a small police force that has likely never dealt with missing kids.. Bikes found on the trail and purse and phone had been thrown over the fence near the bikes but the other side of the fence is a hill leading to the highway. Right now the search is very disorganized and there aren't any flyers :(.

thread #1
thread #2
thread #3
thread #4

Scanner Thread - What's Posted in the Scanner Thread, Stays in the Scanner Thread
case map by poster hollye

NCMEC posters:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Please continue here...

19023342_BG2.jpg

Where do you find the MSM? is it a certain thing for Websleuths forum?

Where do you find the MSM? is it a certain thing for Websleuths forum?

No, it is just a reference to anything printed or online via regular news outlets, i.e. ABC, local affiliates, etc...

From the last thread:

nikb wrote:

I'm thinking that the video may have been shot in black and white, which seems to be very common with security cameras.
Unless they are some seriously grainy cameras or the girls were really far away (too far away to ID them for sure even?) I would think they could at least tell if they were wearing shorts or pants, light or dark in color, flip-flops or other sturdier shoes. I don't know, only my opinion, but I have a feeling they do know more than they're releasing. (at least I hope so!)

There was an article published a couple years ago on the BBC (can't find it now, sorry) about face recognition that surprised me.

Researchers found out that most people can pick people they know out of crowd photos where the faces are reduced to 4x4 pixels (16 pixels!) but are less accurate at recognising face sized objects reduced to the same number of pixels.

Apparently humans are really hardwired for recognising human faces. Makes sense since we're such a social species. I've also read that babies at very young ages can apparently pick out their primary caregivers' face(s) from strangers shown on videotape. At least, they have a pronounced happy reaction to an image of the familiar face that they don't have to an image of a stranger's face.

I hadn't thought of releasing information such as "they were wearing light coloured T-shirts" just because that doesn't seem particularly helpful to me. Maybe I'm wrong. After the first 2 or 3 days of any disappearance, it seems useless to release a clothing description because if the person is still alive, they could have changed clothing or altered what they had on so it no longer matches the description.

A list of clothing sizes would be useful because it would help people get an image of the person's size.

For volunteer searchers, it's rarely a good idea to give a list of the victims' clothing unless LE is absolutely positive foul play could not be involved. When you give people a list of things to look for and then add on "plus anything else you see that may be of interest" the vast majority of volunteers don't notice anything that is not on the list.

So a volunteer looking for specific child's clothing, say a bright pink T-shirt, can walk right over an adult sized grey sweatshirt soaked in blood. They see it but they don't notice it because their mind has been directed towards the bright pink child's T-shirt.

The only real advantage I can think of to releasing a description of specific clothing is that it may help humanise the victim to the general public and so lure them into looking more closely at the victim's photo(s). "Wow, that missing child was wearing the exact same shoes as my child, same size and everything... Doesn't really look like my Johnny, though, except the hair is sort of cut the same. The eyes are different, the nose is different and boy am I glad my Johnny's ear doesn't stick out that way."

i wonder who else watched the kids when grandma was busy or if lyric had friends w/ older brothers and if she had sleepovers w/ these friends. I have a friend who was sexually molested by her older brothers friends on more than one occasion. She didn't know it was wrong b/c she was 11 at the time and the boy was 17 and she felt like he was a "boyfriend." I am leaning towards the possibility that she was 'groomed' IMO Not so much a complete stranger abduction.

I know tammy has a 24year old daughter, does she have a bf?! Just my thoughts and that question was rhetorical b/c I do not want to sleuth the family. I have faith in them that they are giving up every name they can (I hope).

Ok. Sorry everyone. Just got off work and I am way way behind. My last page read was 30 of 60 on the last thread and I was up almost till midnight on here. I know FBI was coming in to dive and that's where I fell asleep last night. Will someone PLEASE give me the nutshell version of what is going on now??

There was an article published a couple years ago on the BBC (can't find it now, sorry) about face recognition that surprised me.

Researchers found out that most people can pick people they know out of crowd photos where the faces are reduced to 4x4 pixels (16 pixels!) but are less accurate at recognising face sized objects reduced to the same number of pixels. <snipped for space>

I hadn't thought of releasing information such as "they were wearing light coloured T-shirts" just because that doesn't seem particularly helpful to me. Maybe I'm wrong. After the first 2 or 3 days of any disappearance, it seems useless to release a clothing description because if the person is still alive, they could have changed clothing or altered what they had on so it no longer matches the description.

A list of clothing sizes would be useful because it would help people get an image of the person's size.

For volunteer searchers, it's rarely a good idea to give a list of the victims' clothing unless LE is absolutely positive foul play could not be involved. When you give people a list of things to look for and then add on "plus anything else you see that may be of interest" the vast majority of volunteers don't notice anything that is not on the list.

So a volunteer looking for specific child's clothing, say a bright pink T-shirt, can walk right over an adult sized grey sweatshirt soaked in blood. They see it but they don't notice it because their mind has been directed towards the bright pink child's T-shirt.

<snipped for space>

Great points. Thank you for the info and thoughts. I remember something like that about face recognition in my college classes too now that you mention it. It's pretty amazing.

I hadn't even thought about the fact that people would zero in so much on specific clothing after a week. I guess to me it's a "given" that the clothes could change but on the same hand, I was closely following the Linnea Lomax case because she's local to me and I got really stuck a couple of times on descriptions of clothing and especially on her hair - all stuff that's so easily changed.

Still keeping out hope that they're alive and better yet unharmed. I know it's less and less likely as the days go by but gotta stay hopeful right?

Ok. Sorry everyone. Just got off work and I am way way behind. My last page read was 30 of 60 on the last thread and I was up almost till midnight on here. I know FBI was coming in to dive and that's where I fell asleep last night. Will someone PLEASE give me the nutshell version of what is going on now??

FBI said the girls are def not in the lake. disappearance has been officially called an abduction. LE from Edale and surrounding communities were stopping cars at check points to search them. misty did a short press interview to clarify the retaining of a lawyer (they felt like the were being accused of harming their daughter). DM has been put on pretrial LE supervision...did I forget anything??

oh yeah, evidence has been sent to DCI in Ankeny, Ia for processing but we don't know what that evidence is.

The nutshell:

The FBI came and brought a special sonar device for the lake. FBI agents walked through the other areas of the lake with long sticks. The girls were not found in the lake. LE classifies their disappearance now as an abduction. LE is still stopping traffic at checkpoints to ask questions and look in trunks.

It is debatable if someone asked the sheriff a question about an RV at the press conference today.

The prosecutor in Black Hawke County pushed a judge to get "supervision" on Dan Morrissey until he goes to trial.
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120720/WIRE/120729971

<modsnip>

***MIL lives across the street from LCM's elementary school....every singel tree has a pink ribbon tied to it. Lotta pink ribbons in town. :'(

Nutshell: there are no bodies in the lake and there was video footage from the Big And Tall shop that showed the two girls were leaving that area at 12:15 pm

If no one beat me to it... here's the short version:

- They haven't been found :( :(

- The girls were not in the lake, lake has been cleared, and now they're officially calling it an abduction

- There was confirmation that they were seen on the store's video camera (the one by grandma's house).

- Reward has been upped to $50k; I'm sure there are all kinds of MSM links about this but here's one: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...morrissey-elizabeth-collins-article-1.1118627

- There is new evidence, and evidence has been sent to a lab (no word on what it is)

- Vehicles were being stopped and searched at intersections today. From what I gathered from the locals it was all or almost all vehicles passing through so it doesn't sound to me like they have a specific description

I think that covers the main points. I'm sure someone will add if I missed anything major.

From the last thread:

nikb wrote:

Researchers found out that most people can pick people they know out of crowd photos where the faces are reduced to 4x4 pixels (16 pixels!) but are less accurate at recognising face sized objects reduced to the same number of pixels.

Apparently humans are really hardwired for recognising human faces. Makes sense since we're such a social species. I've also read that babies at very young ages can apparently pick out their primary caregivers' face(s) from strangers shown on videotape. At least, they have a pronounced happy reaction to an image of the familiar face that they don't have to an image of a stranger's face.

The only real advantage I can think of to releasing a description of specific clothing is that it may help humanise the victim to the general public and so lure them into looking more closely at the victim's photo(s). "Wow, that missing child was wearing the exact same shoes as my child, same size and everything... Doesn't really look like my Johnny, though, except the hair is sort of cut the same. The eyes are different, the nose is different and boy am I glad my Johnny's ear doesn't stick out that way."

Thanks isn't enough. I would never have known or even thought to consider any of this on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, now there is reportedly video survelliance tapes of the girls near Elizabeth's house at 12:15 and 12 minutes later at 12:27 , a biker says their bikes are abandoned on the trail, all the way across town on the lake trail. That is such a short time frame , no matter what happened!

Thank you all very much!!! I love WS peeps!
I must admit when I read they were now classifying the case as an abduction I first felt like we were "starting over". I thought about it and decided that can't be the case because I'm sure LE has been working other angles all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627