CA - 21 treated for burns as Tony Robbins' 2,000-degree hot coals firewalk goes awry

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tony Robbins event ends in disaster as 21 people are
treated for burns after walking on 2,000-degree hot coals
(Daily Mail)
Fire officials in California say at least 21 people were treated for burns after attendees of an event for motivational speaker Tony Robbins tried to walk on hot coals.

At least three people went to a hospital and most suffered second or third-degree burns.

Robbins was hosting a four-day gathering called 'Unleash the Power Within' at the San Jose Convention Center, which was attended by around 6,000 people.
---
more at link above and below

San Jose: 21 people treated for burns after firewalk at Tony Robbins appearance (San Jose Mercury News)
SAN JOSE -- Amid inspirational talk, chanted mantras and shouts of victory at a late-night firewalking event attended by thousands Thursday came agonized shrieks from followers whose soles were scorched by the superheated coals, witnesses said.
---
Jonathan Correll, 25, decided to check out what was going on when "I heard wails of pain, screams of agony." He said one young woman appeared to be in so much pain "it was horrific."

"It was people seriously hurting, like they were being tortured," he said. "First one person, then a couple minutes later another one, and there was just a line of people walking on that fire. It was just bizarre, man."
---

I learned at a very tender age not to touch or walk on anything hot.

Seriously; I don't understand why people even try such a thing as attempting to walk on hot coals! Oh, me of little faith. I do not think I could ever get my head into such a state that hot coals would not burn.

I don't know much about Tony Robbins other than he's a motivational speaker. I think I saw him on Oprah once. Has he held these type of "events" before? Amazing what people can be persuaded to do. Crazy........

Never mind. Just read the link. Haha. He's done this before,

Go in fear of "motivational speakers," hot coals or not.

If you can sit thru the video it is almost black and when the lady begins screaming she is laughing and screaming in triumph. This looks like BS. I dunno.

"It was just bizarre, man" deserves its place in the upper echelon of soundbites, along with "Don't tase me, bro!"

Amazing how some people can be manipulated into doing something that can harm them; remember, the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it.:waitasec:

Go in fear of "motivational speakers," hot coals or not.
Okay, I take (some of) it back. There was one motivational speaker I really liked - Zig Ziglar. (What a name!) While I never paid one thin dime to hear his presentation, I interviewed him for my college newspaper. He could have treated me like a small-town undergrad nothing (which is what I was!) but he didn't. Amazingly polite and - dare I say - genuine. I owe him this. "Thanks, Zig!"

The purpose behind this, and he's not the only motivational speaker who does stuff like this, is to learn that your limits are self-imposed, that you can do things that you don't believe are possible, and that you can take on challenges and not fail.

I have not done Robbin's firewalk, but I've done repelling and zip line (at 13) down a mountain in a motivational course, and I have walked over shards of glass barefoot.

One of the things I've taken away from both of those events was that the block was in my head...that, if necessary, I would walk over broken glass barefoot and survive. It gave me some serious level of confidence (as did skydiving) that helped me face 'normal' challenges, and even 'unusual challenges.' It does help some folks to break through fear barriers, and it's interesting how those barriers show up in everyday life.

It's also not for everyone, and I would never ever do the hot coals thing.

And I am so sorry for those for whom the firewalk has hurt badly. I'm not going to blame them, because it's a dangerous activity and there is always risks assumed when doing something like this...but there is NO reason for someone to have been left on the coals without assistance long enough to get second and/or third degree burns.

There is a "right" way to do this stuff...and that doesn't seem to have happened. My prayers to those who have been hurt...may they heal swiftly, and without further damage...and may Robbins find what went wrong, and change that part of the program.

Best-
Herding Cats

The frenzied chanting, in the youtube video from the OP link, really creeped me out. :what:

From LA Times.......

Participant Sahar Madani told Channel 2 KTVU that they were told walking on the coal could be dangerous but they needed to shift their mental focus. “Get your focus and attention away from that and look into the power within yourself and just focus on walking through the fire,” Madani told the station.

Julia Wilson, another participant told the station: “He tells us to say, 'Cool moss, cool moss, cool moss,' and not look down and it’s amazing what your mind can do when you get it in the right state."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/tony-robbins-hot-coal-walk-warned.html

if you don't want 2nd & 3rd degree burns, don't walk through a fire

yeah, I just had to type that out to make sure it wasn't me that's lost their mind

if you don't want 2nd & 3rd degree burns, don't walk through a fire

yeah, I just had to type that out to make sure it wasn't me that's lost their mind

Seriously. This is not a "mind-over-matter" kinda exercise. Hot = burn. We learn this as small children. Duh.

The purpose behind this, and he's not the only motivational speaker who does stuff like this, is to learn that your limits are self-imposed, that you can do things that you don't believe are possible, and that you can take on challenges and not fail.

I have not done Robbin's firewalk, but I've done repelling and zip line (at 13) down a mountain in a motivational course, and I have walked over shards of glass barefoot.

One of the things I've taken away from both of those events was that the block was in my head...that, if necessary, I would walk over broken glass barefoot and survive. It gave me some serious level of confidence (as did skydiving) that helped me face 'normal' challenges, and even 'unusual challenges.' It does help some folks to break through fear barriers, and it's interesting how those barriers show up in everyday life.

It's also not for everyone, and I would never ever do the hot coals thing.

And I am so sorry for those for whom the firewalk has hurt badly. I'm not going to blame them, because it's a dangerous activity and there is always risks assumed when doing something like this...but there is NO reason for someone to have been left on the coals without assistance long enough to get second and/or third degree burns.

There is a "right" way to do this stuff...and that doesn't seem to have happened. My prayers to those who have been hurt...may they heal swiftly, and without further damage...and may Robbins find what went wrong, and change that part of the program.

Best-
Herding Cats

I admit I'm not an expert, but I think the problem is that there are tricks involved. Walking on broken glass may cut you or not depending on the type of glass used; whether your mental state makes a difference is scientifically debatable.

Likewise, different substances burn at different temperatures and not all will harm human skin. (Anybody who has touched a marijuana flame v. a tobacco flame can testify to this. The former burns at much lower temperatures.)

Something went horribly wrong here and, to me, the real question is why didn't anybody notice until 21 people were hurt seriously enough to require a trip to the hospital?!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back