Observations from the Video on TDB

otg

Reaction score
Lots of new information is coming out from James Kolar’s new book (which I don’t have yet). But the accompanying police crime scene video seems to be a treasure trove of information in itself. Anyone care to list their observations in one thread where we can collect and share the information?

I’ll start with this:

Looks like there was continuing remodeling going on in the basement. The police videotape seems to dwell on the stuff going on in the second closet.

e6d6xs.jpg

There are exploratory holes drilled and poked in the wall (some already plastered along with plasterboard seams), exposed live electrical wires, and workmen’s writing on the wall (indicating 115-volt). Could it be that at the time this was filmed, they were already looking for a source of electrical burns? Also, I see the electrical work as a possible origin of a small strip of tape: black on the outside, silver on the sticky side. It’s usually referred to as gaffer’s tape because it is used in the A/V and movie production industry. This is what Bron/Shurtape PC-600 is. It’s main advantage over regular duct tape is that it is less likely to leave a sticky residue or a stain on objects when it is removed.

From the manufacturer:
“Black gaffers tape, is ideal for securing stage wires, when a dull, non-glare tape is needed. Colored tape provides that same dull non-glare finish, but enables you to color code electrical wiring. Black and colored gaffers tape come in two sizes, 2 inch and 3 inch.

“Gaffer's tape for the A/V, TV, photography, theatrical and motion picture industries; to hold wiring, lighting, stage props and to "color code". Use as a premium waterproof packaging tape and masking silk screen frames. Sky divers use it for securing camera and other equipment to their helmets. Gaff tape for theatrical companies.”​
From Amazon:
“...great all-purpose tape, and one of the best-kept handyman secrets. Gaffer's tape is much better than the ubiquitous silver duct tape for lots of repairs and projects. I use it to affix bike computer sensor lead wires to my bike's frame, and this stuff sticks better and is more durable than any other kind of tape I've found. The fabric backing is very strong and offers lots of grip when attached to something. The adhesive is similar to that used on good quality duct tape (such as 3M) and far superior to the adhesive used on cheap duct or other kinds of tape. Gaffer's tape is excellent for attaching, removing, and re-attaching since it usually doesn't leave any residue and the tape keeps its stickiness. This tape is easy to tear by hand but it sometimes leaves the little threads like duct tape can if you're not careful with the tears. But overall it's easier to tear by hand than most duct tapes.”
Not the same brand as the Shurtape, but this is what it looks like on the roll:
DSC00142.JPE

...and being used:
media.nl

Here is the tape removed from JonBenet’s body:
AnatomyColdCase203.jpg

Any other observations that strike you, or comments about this?

The long discussed, never seen by the public until now, spider web in the broken window is shown in great detail from all angles. In fact, the window portion takes up almost half of the video. Why would Kolar say that that in itself is proof enough that no one came through the window that night?

Here is a screenshot of the corner web up fairly close with a line drawn showing the edge as it forms a right triangle in the window. Notice where the line at the bottom portion is going toward the left end of a shard of broken glass in the window sill.
2e64ill.jpg

Now here is the same line drawn in the window in a shot from a distance showing where the spider web would be in the corner. I’d estimate the bottom of the web goes across just a little under a quarter of the width of the window?
281fn8y.jpg

Now here is a picture of Lou Smit demonstrating how to clean cobwebs from a window sill using nothing more than your butt:
louwindow1.gif

I'm struck by how messy the basement is. They had a housekeeper. Was it that messy most of the time, or are we seeing a mess made during the murder ?

I'm struck by how messy the basement is. They had a housekeeper. Was it that messy most of the time, or are we seeing a mess made during the murder ?

The housekeeper said the house was always that messy. Clothes strewn all about and no laundry hampers. LHP (the housekeeper said that she discussed getting hampers, but Patsy never did. They just dropped clothes on the floor wherever they took them off- a point made by LE when they discussed with Patsy JB's poopy black pants on the bathroom floor.
LHP reported that Patsy's mother Nedra used to chide Patsy for her messiness- saying that the housekeeper was there to clean- not pick up after everyone, and how could she do a good job cleaning when there was stuff all over. LHP reported that when she got there in the morning, crumbs were all over the counter and the lid was off the peanut butter jar- nothing was ever put away unless she did it.
Interesting that the appearance of the basement gives the impression of it having been ransacked. But their house always looked like that. When they had their holiday party on Dec. 23rd, Patsy had LHP move the paint tote from the Butler's Pantry to the basement to get it out of the way.

It's my understanding that the living areas were kept unclutttered most of the time, and Patsy was not a fanatical housekeeper--all the more reason the bedwetting scenario doesn't make sense. The basement was relatively small....and only under the old part of the house which was since expanded outward when it was remodelled, with a crawl space under the expanded area. So there really was not a lot of room to store stuff down there.

Is that a glass shard mid point exterior sill?

What is the chrome object, antique grill looking object in front of the closet door? beneath the Officer and a Gentleman poster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_on_the_Nile_(1978_film)

movie poster seen in DB video: Death on the Nile 1978 film

Good catch, Tad.

Death_on_the_nile.jpeg

By the appearance of the two framed movie posters, that might be another one in the first closet.

So what kind of person puts up movie posters as part of their decor? I doubt JR put much thought into what would be used to hang on the walls. So I guess we know now that PR was quite the movie fan. Prolly saw lots of movies... like maybe Speed, Ransom, Dirty Harry, Ruthless People...

Is that a glass shard mid point exterior sill?

Yes.

What is the chrome object, antique grill looking object in front of the closet door? beneath the Officer and a Gentleman poster?
I couldn't figure that out either, Tad. It looks somewhat like part of an old gas heater that might be installed in a wall in a smaller room.

Good catch, Tad.

Death_on_the_nile.jpeg

By the appearance of the two framed movie posters, that might be another one in the first closet.

So what kind of person puts up movie posters as part of their decor? I doubt JR put much thought into what would be used to hang on the walls. So I guess we know now that PR was quite the movie fan. Prolly saw lots of movies... like maybe Speed, Ransom, Dirty Harry, Ruthless People...

We have them.
Star Wars posters as we're big fans.
I'm not sure I'd be reading much into it.

The housekeeper said the house was always that messy. Clothes strewn all about and no laundry hampers. LHP (the housekeeper said that she discussed getting hampers, but Patsy never did. They just dropped clothes on the floor wherever they took them off- a point made by LE when they discussed with Patsy JB's poopy black pants on the bathroom floor.
LHP reported that Patsy's mother Nedra used to chide Patsy for her messiness- saying that the housekeeper was there to clean- not pick up after everyone, and how could she do a good job cleaning when there was stuff all over. LHP reported that when she got there in the morning, crumbs were all over the counter and the lid was off the peanut butter jar- nothing was ever put away unless she did it.
Interesting that the appearance of the basement gives the impression of it having been ransacked. But their house always looked like that. When they had their holiday party on Dec. 23rd, Patsy had LHP move the paint tote from the Butler's Pantry to the basement to get it out of the way.

DeeDee249,
And how did the intruder know where a paintbrush was?

Kolar says that the silver object in front of the closet door is a "grill" of sorts. Maybe like they used in old coal fireplaces? The house had that kind of fireplace originally, I'm thinking I remember.

Kolar mentions it because Fleet White was in fact replacing it in front of that closet door, after he and JR had looked in the closet and at the broken basement window, when he heard JR scream he'd found JB in the cellar room.

At least, that's what I think I remember Kolar was referencing. I've read so much by now, my brain is hurting.

DeeDee249,

The same way he knew where the suitcase was stored under the stairs. Much easier to hunt that down than use the chair or stool within FEET of the window, you know.

Clever intruder.

Good eye on the spider web, basement window comparisons, OTG.

:goodpost:

Now, with your permission, I'd like to add them to the FFJ case library.

If you prefer I don't, let me know and I understand. Sorry to be so bold, but I'm a pyrate by nature! :shush:

DeeDee249,

Why would you be asking ME that? We both know there was no intruder. An intruder WOULDN'T know. Nor would they know that the white blanket was laundered in the basement.

Good eye on the spider web, basement window comparisons, OTG.

:goodpost:

Now, with your permission, I'd like to add them to the FFJ case library.

If you prefer I don't, let me know and I understand. Sorry to be so bold, but I'm a pyrate by nature! :shush:

Feel free to post, me matey. We're all here for the same reason (I hope).

Kolar says that the silver object in front of the closet door is a "grill" of sorts. Maybe like they used in old coal fireplaces? The house had that kind of fireplace originally, I'm thinking I remember.

Kolar mentions it because Fleet White was in fact replacing it in front of that closet door, after he and JR had looked in the closet and at the broken basement window, when he heard JR scream he'd found JB in the cellar room.

At least, that's what I think I remember Kolar was referencing. I've read so much by now, my brain is hurting.
(bbm)
That makes sense as to why I wouldn't recognize it as a coal heater. Living in the South all my life, I'm familiar only with gas and electric. Considering the extra depth in relation to a gas heater, I would think it has the extra room to accommodate a supply of coal.

We have them.
Star Wars posters as we're big fans.
I'm not sure I'd be reading much into it.

I've seen them (movie posters) used before too, WL. But any time someone went to the trouble of framing and hanging it (or them) on a wall, it was because movies were a big part of their life, or (as in your case) they were big fans of a particular movie, actor, or director. The only reason for making note of it was to point out that apparently the Rs (Pats in particular) were big movie fans and probably would have seen some of the movies that had phrases in them that were used in the ransom novel.

Also note that these were in the basement. Does that mean that they had others in the other rooms, or that they were just no longer being used?

BTW, just in case anyone has never seen Ruthless People, here is the scene that some believe may have given someone ideas about what to do:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJoV6_o5mU"]Part of the inspiration for the ransom note? - YouTube[/ame]

(...and yes, in answer to the last question in this clip, the Rs did hire a publicist.)

Why would you be asking ME that? We both know there was no intruder. An intruder WOULDN'T know. Nor would they know that the white blanket was laundered in the basement.

DeeDee249,

LOL, well just for all those who might think IDI has some traction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back