*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Official List of the deceased
Twelve people who died in the Colorado movie shooting have been identified by the Arapahoe County coroner.
-Jessica Ghawi, 24, of Denver; aspiring sports journalist
-Veronica Moser, 6, whose mother was critically injured
-Matt McQuinn, 27, of Denver; technical support provider
-Alex Sullivan, 27, of Aurora; worked at Red Robin restaurant
- Micayla Medek, 23, of Westminster, Colo.
-John Larimer, 27, of Buckley Air Force Base, Navy cryptologist
-Jesse Childress, 29, of Thornton, Colo., Air Force cyber-systems operator
-Gordon W. Cowden, 51
-Jonathan T. Blunk, 26
-Rebecca Ann Wingo, 32
-Alexander C. Teves, 24, earned master's degree in counseling psychology in June from University of Denver
-Alexander J. Boik, 18

Thread #1

Motive still a blank in Aurora shooter's story link )
By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post, Saturday, July 21, 10:45 AM

If police have discovered the motive for the Colorado movie theater rampage, they haven’t revealed it. Motive remains a missing piece of the terrible story of the Aurora massacre.

All such crimes can be described as senseless, or as the manifestation of evil, but what unfolded Friday at the midnight showing of the new Batman movie was something that so far lacks even a madman’s explanation.

[...]

Police say the killer at the movie theater had a small arsenal of weapons and a massive amount of ammunition, and he evidently wanted to kill as many innocent people as possible, as dramatically as possible.

[...]

The picture is likely to become clearer as investigators obtain more information about the suspect, but for the moment, the motive remains speculative, something inferred from the gunman’s actions more than from anything he communicated directly.

“Mass-shooting cases have the common motive of an attacker seeking immortality,” said Michael Welner, a forensic psychiatrist who is chairman of the Forensic Panel in New York. “Mass shootings are invariably, invariably carried out by people who have had high self-esteem. They are people who had high expectations of themselves.”

Aurora theater shootings: Booby-traps in apartment deadly
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...heater-shootings-booby-traps-apartment-deadly

AURORA — If anyone had opened the door to James Holmes' booby-trapped apartment, they would have suffered serious injuries and likely lost their life.
Jim Yacone, FBI special agent in charge for Denver, said at a Saturday afternoon news conference that the explosives and IEDs in the apartment were as dangerous as feared. The threat is not over, he said, but is greatly reduced.

Police: Colo. suspect planned theater shooting for months, rigged apartment with bombs

AURORA, Colo. — The Colorado shooting suspect planned the rampage that killed 12 midnight moviegoers with “calculation and deliberation,” police said Saturday, receiving deliveries for months which authorities believe armed him for battle and were used to rig his apartment with dozens of bombs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...t-with-bombs/2012/07/21/gJQA2Nf20W_story.html

Bringing from the other thread:

I watched the bombs being detonated just now (ch 9 KUSA), and after seeing the explosions and the amount of fire involved, I hope they charge that "person" with many more counts of attempted murder. The lives of everyone in his apartment building were in serious danger. The carnage could have been so much worse.

One bomb exploded like a mushroom of fire. It was huge, another didn't quite look as bad on explosion but it burned longer and more violently.

The guy's actions are beyond evil.

I watched on the live stream, an aerial view. It was stunning.

They may post clips on their site soon:

http://www.9news.com/default.aspx

I suddenly wish I knew the plot/story to the Dark Knight. I'm going to have to read about it.

Since James Holmes' only spoken indication of his "dark side" was saying, "i am the joker" does anyone know exactly what the jokers MO is in this movie??? Does he use explosives, create traps for LE, etc? I'm just wondering if this guy is emulating something and wondering if he hasn't rigged more surprises to come. I really know NOTHING about Batman and am regretting that now!

Quoting from the last thread....

This part is baffling. The thought that comes to my mind is he took some perverse enjoyment from telling LE in advance in order for them to spend hours trying to dismantle his set-up. In other words, to LE: "see if you're smarter than I am".

He also may be taking some pleasure in seeing his neighbors displaced.

MOO

Maybe he thought the bombs in the apartment had already gone off, and let it slip?

If he did actually receive a phone call at the theater (as opposed to just faking one as an excuse for going outside), perhaps it was actually an automated call from his apartment. If he was capable of rigging the music on a timer and hanging numerous trip wires, then he could have set something up to call him when someone turned his door knob/rattled his door. That would have served as an indication to him that the bombs had gone off, and first responders were otherwise occupied.

When police responded so quickly and apprehended him, he might have said something like "I thought you'd be busy dealing with the explosion."

I believe it is critical to understand the role both the Batman movie as well as the trailer Gangsters Squad played that night.

Preplanning is evident over a significant period of time. If motive was over a school issue, the target should have reflected that. We have an apparently anonymous target. Or do we?

Odds of probability come into play in the initial investigation phase. We have a person here who simulates almost to a T, a scene just played in the theater from a movie trailer. (Gangsters Squad) That same person leaves a bomb at his home almost like a simulation of the premise of the batman movie he attends. Two aspects of coincidence but the big kicker is that this was the first showing!

Did he spend all this time preparing an attack with no target in mind? I would speculate an inside connection, an inside knowledge of the coming event, scouting of the theater and maybe even test runs or tampering of the rear exit door. If persued and if found to be so, no defence will fly. If he knew, how did he know?

The heroic stories coming out today are uplifting. I just saw video of "his Father" My heart goes out to "his" Family. They are Victims too.

Maybe he thought the bombs in the apartment had already gone off, and let it slip?

If he did actually receive a phone call at the theater (as opposed to just faking one as an excuse for going outside), perhaps it was actually an automated call from his apartment. If he was capable of rigging the music on a timer and hanging numerous trip wires, then he could have set something up to call him when someone turned his door knob/rattled his door. That would have served as an indication to him that the bombs had gone off, and first responders were otherwise occupied.

When police responded so quickly and apprehended him, he might have said something like "I thought you'd be busy dealing with the explosion."
Interesting thought! I did see the interview with the neighbor who noticed his apartment door unlocked, however didn't catch what time of the night she said it was.

LE would have his cell phone records which will show if indeed a call was made when he was exiting the theater, or if it was just a ruse to use the emergency exit door. Even a cell phone call shouldn't warrant access to that door, in my opinion.

MOO

Interesting thought! I did see the interview with the neighbor who noticed his apartment door unlocked, however didn't catch what time of the night she said it was.

LE would have his cell phone records which will show if indeed a call was made when he was exiting the theater, or if it was just a ruse to use the emergency exit door. Even a cell phone call shouldn't warrant access to that door, in my opinion.

MOO

The neighbor said the music started at midnight and stopped at 1am. She checked after the music played for a while. Since it was so loud, she went knocking at his door and had the feeling the door was unlocked, but didn't open it.

I'm definitely thinking he thought his booby-traps went off and probably mentioned them when he was arrested. He was probably like I'm the Joker did you have fun with the booby-traps? Or at least that's where my imagination is at right now.

Evedently he never had anyone over to hang out in his apartment.
No friends?
No family dropping in? from out of state?

I think the shooters motive is....fame. I think all these sick people are trying to out-do each other to be bigger and badder. The constant news coverage, the constant replays and repost of what he/she said. The constant "experts" giving their expert opinions. It's on a 24 an hour loop.

The shooter has no information on the web except his dating site...and that's still a big ? Mark. It's possible he erased everything before he did this horrible thing. Hes probably seen all the coverage of the other shooters...and see how fast information is spread.

I have guns....well, my hubby has them. He has collected them forever. I know nothing about them. I don't care for them at all. Would I ever use one? Well......I look at my 2 children down the hall. Yes. Yes I would to protect them. No doubt about it. Would I carry a gun to go see a movie? No. But I would protect my kids with my body. I would fight for them if I had to. I think most everybody would. That's why we are hearing stories of people shielding their loved in the theater.

I think shooter was missing a few cells in the brain...added with the fact that he wanted to make a boom exit and go down in history as a shooter and mass murderer. Now he will forever have his name added on wiki and other informational sites about this tragedy.

Just my 2 cents

The neighbor said the music started at midnight and stopped at 1am. She checked after the music played for a while. Since it was so loud, she went knocking at his door and had the feeling the door was unlocked, but didn't open it.

Thank goodness she never opened that door!
Imagine the lives that could of been lost!

Random thought.. if he was "really smart" he could have been watching a webcam stream of his apartment on his phone while at the movies. (you can really do this these days) He probably wasn't that smart though. :floorlaugh:

Thank you. It would fit in the timeline during the movie, however, doesn't appear to coincide with him exiting the theater using his phone to start the music.

MOO

Thank goodness she never opened that door!
Imagine the lives that could of been lost!

You're right about that. I was so shocked to see the HUGE mushroom of fire after one of the bombs was detonated, I immediately thought of the people in the apt. complex. The building would have blown up and burned immediately if all bombs had gone off at once, or one after the other. It was shocking to see and I was watching online, and the video was being shot from the air. Close up and personal would have been horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401