KY - Sexual Assault Victim Tweets Attackers' Names, Faces Charge

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Good for this girl and her family, for going public. These 'guys' rape her, post pictures of it on social media and their attorney doesn't want their names public. Boo freekin hoo

“The boys' attorneys asked a judge to hold ******** in contempt for violating the confidentiality of a juvenile hearing. She was not going to protect teen girls posting on Twitter people who made her life a quote -- ‘living hell.’”...

...“I’m at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it … If they really feel it’s necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me ... as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don’t understand justice.”

http://www.newsy.com/videos/sexual-assault-victim-tweets-attackers-names-faces-charge/

I love this story, fwiw. They pled guilty. She is trying to get something back for herself after this attack....brave girl.

Good for this girl!! There aren't words to describe the 2 boys who did this. They sexually assaulted her, videoed it, shared it with friends and now THEY don't want their names public. Oh give me a break!!

I hope the judge has the good sense to know that people are outraged at this. Frankly, as an American, doesn;t this girl have freedom of speech, especially when talking about something that happened to her? The boys sure didn't mind bragging to their friends when they assaulted her.

But since the boys and their lawyer have protested the fact that she named them publicly, they have just brought more attention to the case. I would have never heard of it otherwise. But now the public has caught on and their names are easily available.

I cannot believe this plea deal was even legal, much less that a judge or DA approved it.

How is this poor girl supposed to get any counseling or try to heal if she isn't allowed to talk about what happened to her? How are these dirtbags allowed to face a minimal penalty for sharing pictures of her assault with the world, but she can't say their names out loud? Was the first amendment revoked and I missed it?

I think the next step should be tweeting the judge's name and office number, along with the DA who approved this deal without anyone even bothering to discuss it with the victim. Seriously, aren't they supposed to be working in the interest of justice?

I believe they are both elected positions, and the voters should know what kind of sleazebags are in charge.

I agree with SwampMama...retweet the heck out of the rapists names, but remember that the judge and DA were accessories after the fact to the ongoing torment of this poor girl.

Also why don't these teens have to register as sex offenders? I thought in some instances even juvenille offenders have to register? There are people on our sex offender registry for statutory rape, where the two people were a couple of years apart and boyfriend and girlfriend, & also people on the registry for urinating in a public place, etc. But this offense does not qualify because they are juvenilles? How disgusting! I am so proud of this young lady for sticking up for her rights!!

They must have been minors which sealed their records?? I am not sure. But I think she is taking a very very brave step-it kind of turns the system on it's head when you take into consideration all that she has lost and what it will take to rebuild her life. The fact is, they know what they did, they pled to avoid a jury trial or a judge presumably and they pled guilty. I need to check and see if their crimes as they pled to them are registry worthy and if they are felonies.

It is a Class D felony if you can believe that. Here is the statute-

Link Here

510.110 Sexual abuse in the first degree.
A person is guilty of sexual abuse in the first degree when:
(a) He or she subjects another person to sexual contact by forcible compulsion; or
(b) He or she subjects another person to sexual contact who is incapable of
consent because he or she:
1. Is physically helpless;
2. Is less than twelve (12) years old; or
3. Is mentally incapacitated; or...

Sexual abuse in the first degree is a Class D felony, unless the victim is less than
twelve (12) years old, in which case the offense shall be a Class C felony.

Effective: July 15, 2008
History: Amended 2008 Ky. Acts ch. 72, sec. 1, effective July 15, 2008. -- Amended
2006 Ky. Acts ch. 182, sec. 33, effective July 12, 2006. -- Amended 2002 Ky. Acts
ch. 259, sec. 5, effective July 15, 2002. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 91,
effective January 1, 1975.

Even juveniles have to register if they have committed first, second or third degree sexual abuse.

Link Here

So I wonder if the prosecution gave them a limited time that they have to register?

This girl is a hero in my book. Such bravery and courage at a young age. I am hopeful her story will empower other victims not to cower down to their offenders.

I cannot believe this plea deal was even legal, much less that a judge or DA approved it.

How is this poor girl supposed to get any counseling or try to heal if she isn't allowed to talk about what happened to her? How are these dirtbags allowed to face a minimal penalty for sharing pictures of her assault with the world, but she can't say their names out loud? Was the first amendment revoked and I missed it?

I think the next step should be tweeting the judge's name and office number, along with the DA who approved this deal without anyone even bothering to discuss it with the victim. Seriously, aren't they supposed to be working in the interest of justice?

I believe they are both elected positions, and the voters should know what kind of sleazebags are in charge.

I agree with SwampMama...retweet the heck out of the rapists names, but remember that the judge and DA were accessories after the fact to the ongoing torment of this poor girl.

the judges's name along w/ addy and phone number have been released in comment sections of various online reports....i dont have a link handy, but ive seen it a number of times since this story broke...

From the link:

A 17-year-old girl tweeted the names of two juvenile men who sexually assaulted her and may face contempt of court charges.

If these 'persons' are juveniles, they aren't men, they are still boys. 'Political correctness' is going too far.

So, are we to understand that if we are attacked by juveniles, we aren't allowed to state their names publicly? I thought the juvenile rule applied to media, law enforcement, and juvenile records privacy, not to the victims! I don't understand a world that criminalizes victims. Surely she should be able to say who attacked her.

It's so wrong for the victim to be facing jail time or any other penalty.

There's more to be done, however. She should be free to talk about all aspects of the crime against her. What kind of justice system penalizes the victim while protecting the criminals? Unfortunately, ours does. :maddening: I'm sick of it.

As for these "juvenile" offenders, if they're able to rape someone, they should be able to suffer consequences and face proper punishments, including having their names published. If they are biologically capable of such a heinous act, they're no longer children. :cow:

The Courier-Journal and Dietrich's attorneys had filed motions to open the proceedings, arguing she has a First Amendment right to speak about what happened in her case and a right to a public hearing on the contempt charge.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...ed-attackers-names?odyssey=nav&nclick_check=1

If anyone knows the names of the guilty parties, I would like to know. TIA

ETA: got the info on my own. xo

Good for this girl and her family, for going public. These 'guys' rape her, post pictures of it on social media and their attorney doesn't want their names public. Boo freekin hoo

“The boys' attorneys asked a judge to hold ******** in contempt for violating the confidentiality of a juvenile hearing. She was not going to protect teen girls posting on Twitter people who made her life a quote -- ‘living hell.’”...

...“I’m at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it … If they really feel it’s necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me ... as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don’t understand justice.”

http://www.newsy.com/videos/sexual-assault-victim-tweets-attackers-names-faces-charge/

I read this story this morning in the paper, and it makes me mad.
Ok I know they are all young.
but she should talk and even write a book if she wants.
How dare they hush her up? It is healing for her to talk.
And if the boys reputation tanks WHO CARES.
Let the girls know so they won’t be climbing up the wrong tree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back