IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiw319

Reaction score
http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

These girls have been missing all afternoon and the search was suspended tonight now that it's dark here. We're a small town next to a larger city but a small police force that has likely never dealt with missing kids.. Bikes found on the trail and purse and phone had been thrown over the fence near the bikes but the other side of the fence is a hill leading to the highway. Right now the search is very disorganized and there aren't any flyers :(.

thread #1
thread #2
thread #3
thread #4
Thread #5
Scanner Thread - What's Posted in the Scanner Thread, Stays in the Scanner Thread
case map by poster hollye

NCMEC posters:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

19023342_BG2.jpg

I noticed that someone else posted a facebook link earlier. So i think its okay to add this link.
https://www.facebook.com/wcfcourier
Someone was at the area that day and feels she is no use to the police. But she really should contact them. She says she is now but idk. JMO Look at left side of page about 4 hours ago.

Shelby - I couldn't quote your post from the last thread, but you asked about the comments on the ABC article. I am on an iPad and it automatically directs me to the mobile site where there are no comments. If you are on an iPad or other mobile device, you can navigate on the top right corner and find the full site, where if you look around, you can find a link to the article which will show the comments.

Breault's plea for help fits with what David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center, expected would happen after the case was reclassified as an abduction. He said investigators now may be more dependent on tips from the public.

"They've got to cast a much wider net. They could be miles from that spot there," said Finkelhor, who is based at the University of New Hampshire.

Finkelhor said if the girls were abducted by a stranger, the statistics are grim — his research shows that 40-50 percent of children in that situation aren't recovered alive. But, he said, abductions by strangers are so rare that it's difficult to predict what might happen.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/loc...11e1-8002-001a4bcf887a.html?comment_form=true

Jules71 said:
One thing I read (and I don't recall which article) said the bikes were found near the hole in the fence (from previous accident involving a car going off the highway and hitting the fence).

When I was looking at Ollipop's photos - it seemed the damaged fence is much further away from the narrow double fenced part of the path as well as further west. If the bikes were by that part of the fence, it is on the opposite end of the path than the wooded area where I imagined all this happened. Does that make sense? Do we know if the bikes were in fact found by that damaged area of the fence?

I made a diagram of what I am referring to. Where it says BF is where I think the broken fence is (as far as what I could tell in Olli's pics). The arrow is where I thought the bikes were left. The horizontal line is where the fence/gate to the jetty is. Let me see if I can find the article that says the bikes were found near the broken fence (where car hit it).

broken fence.jpg

attachment.php

Shelby - I couldn't quote your post from the last thread, but you asked about the comments on the ABC article. I am on an iPad and it automatically directs me to the mobile site where there are no comments. If you are on an iPad or other mobile device, you can navigate on the top right corner and find the full site, where if you look around, you can find a link to the article which will show the comments.

Thank you. I tried it on my PC too, but I still don't see any comments-were they from today's article? Maybe some have been removed. Thank you!

I'm not Shelby but I wanted to thank you elmomom for posting this....I recently bought an iPad and didn't know what the "navigation" tab was for. Thanks a bunch!

I noticed that someone else posted a facebook link earlier. So i think its okay to add this link.
https://www.facebook.com/wcfcourier
Someone was at the area that day and feels she is no use to the police. But she really should contact them. She says she is now but idk. JMO Look at left side of page about 4 hours ago.

If police were to become aware of that post, perhaps they would contact HER? She wants to wait til she gets home - but when will that be? It could days or weeks! What will become of the girls while she sits on her duff? She talked about seeing a vehicle there, even though she doesn't know much if anything about it, but won't call in???

Jules...

http://dmjuice.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120720/NEWS/120720025/1001

The girls’ bicycles were found by a firefighter at about 4 p.m. on the Evansdale Nature Trail that runs along the lake. The bikes were found southeast of the lake in an area near an opening in a fence. Iowa Highway 380 is just south of the area.

And here's Verified Local/Insider Ollipop's post about the broken fence:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Ollipop shout out...or other local with knowledge of the area....

If you are at that pump house or garage with no house thing next to the trail....would you be able to keep an eye out on another part of the trail from there to be able to watch who might be coming up next to the area where the girls bikes were eventually found?

Does that make sense? Could that be used as a "lookout" spot, both to watch for who is coming up along the trail and then to access the trail to put out a lure or even just act like he's walking up from the other direction on the path. He/she could easily knock both girls off their bikes in that narrow space. They'd be almost caged in with the fence on both sides.

I wanted to bring my question to the new thread and also add:

What about the area where the strange tracks were found by ollipop? It shows on the case map that there is an old road in those woods. Is it possible to tell if a car went all the way to the end of that road to the edge of the trail? It would be entirely hidden by the over hang of the trees and the woods all around. Another possibility is that a car was backed in just far enough to have the woods hide the vehicle entirely.

Could someone be at that location and have a lookout through the trees nearby of who is coming down the trail in the next few minutes?

Thank you. I tried it on my PC too, but I still don't see any comments-were they from today's article? Maybe some have been removed. Thank you!

The attachment to that post had one very interesting comment in it - have u tried clicking the link that said "attachment"?h

I spotted this post:
Aaron Hepker‏@ahepker
@True_Thoughts might want to check your settings. Have not received any other complaints out of several hundred viewers.

If you had problems hearing the press conference, and have Twitter, please let https://twitter.com/ahepker know you had difficulty. Maybe if they hear from more people they will fix the audio volume. TIA

I think WE were his several hundred viewers or at least a good 75% of them at that time.

I sent him my Tweet! :)

I wish in the police depts would include an EMAIL address as another way to contact them for tips! We could easily forward comments like this to them and let them take a look and within minutes they would have info that they can decide quickly (at least in "real time") whether they should look further.

If police were to become aware of that post, perhaps they would contact HER? She wants to wait til she gets home - but when will that be? It could days or weeks! What will become of the girls while she sits on her duff? She talked about seeing a vehicle there, even though she doesn't know much if anything about it, but won't call in???

I know, this is just 1 person who was there but don't believe they have anything to add to police. Just imagine how many other people feel the same way as her. This is crazy. Police want to talk to everyone who was there. IMO

This makes me crazy! This woman needs to call NOW! :banghead:

The attachment to that post had one very interesting comment in it - have u tried clicking the link that said "attachment"?h

Yes, thank you I did see that. Was looking for the rest of the comments but thanks to a nice poster I see the comments were under a different article.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member