Sally Ride, the first woman to fly in space-RIP

Oh God bless her. So young. R.I.P.

May Sally Ride rest in peace. She was such a brave woman, and a great role model.

GB her family and friends.

Such a horrible cancer! My mom died from this in 2011.

RIP, Sally. Gone way too soon. :(

I was so inspired by Sally Ride when I was a child... I can still remember singing the little song someone made about her first trip - "Ride, Sally, Ride!", and doing at least two reports in school about her. :)

So young, and what a cruel way to go. :( Wishing peace for her, and her loved ones, especially her long time partner. From we who were little girls when you made your journey, thank you so much for the encouragement and inspiration you gave us! :rose:

Now she broke through a glass ceiling for sure...

Sally slipped the surly bonds of earth in life and in her passing. Ride, Sally, Ride! :rose:

Sally Ride sparks posthumous debate on coming out
By DAVID CRARY, AP
34 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Pioneering astronaut Sally Ride, who relished privacy as much as she did adventure, chose an appropriately discreet manner of coming out.

At the end of an obituary that she co-wrote with her partner, Tam O'Shaughnessy, they disclosed to the world their relationship of 27 years. That was it.

As details trickled out after Ride's death on Monday, it became clear that a circle of family, friends and co-workers had long known of the same-sex relationship and embraced it. For many millions of others, who admired Ride as the first American woman in space, it was a revelation — and it sparked a spirited discussion about privacy vs. public candor in regard to sexual orientation...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120725/US.Sally.Ride.Coming.Out/?cid=hero_media

While I and others might wish she had come out sooner, it was her decision to make. Really, what I wish, isnt so much that Ms Ride made a differerent decision, but that the world and generation she was from had been more welcoming, which would have made "coming out" not something to be feared or embarassed about, something that wouldn't have affected her distinguished career, etc. That she had inhabited a world and time in which it wouldn't have mattered at all that she was a lesbian.

As it is, she loved, and was loved. In addition to having such an amazing career, and being an inspiration to untold numbers of girls and women. An amazing life. :rose:

Domestic Double Standard: What About Sally Ride’s Partner?
Sally Ride was the first American woman in outer space. Upon hearing the news of her death last week, media outlets and celebrities alike celebrated Ride as a hero. But under federal law, Ride’s domestic partner of 27 years will not receive death benefits or Social Security payments. Is that any way to treat a hero?
---
the story at Time link above

I was so inspired by Sally Ride when I was a child... I can still remember singing the little song someone made about her first trip - "Ride, Sally, Ride!", and doing at least two reports in school about her. :)

So young, and what a cruel way to go. :( Wishing peace for her, and her loved ones, especially her long time partner. From we who were little girls when you made your journey, thank you so much for the encouragement and inspiration you gave us! :rose:
Actually that song was Mustang Sally, not sure it was about her, but ride Sally ride! Godspeed! RIP.

Very touching. And, then I think about the very off proportions and settings that often belie a Barbie doll. But, this is all a step in the right direction.

I am in awe that Katherine Johnson has a doll in the Inspiring Women series as well. As she is 101, I wish her doll was her middle-aged self and looked a little less of a stereotype 50's woman and more a stereotype nerd--women always can use more.

Frida Kahlo, too. Awesome.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77