Thread: UK - Charlotte Blackman, 22, Burton Bradstock, July 2012 - 400-ton Dorset rock fall

UK - Charlotte Blackman, 22, Burton Bradstock, July 2012 - 400-ton Dorset rock fall

"Nature, red in tooth and claw." Tennyson, 'In Memoriam'

Body is pulled from 400-ton Dorset rock fall - believed to be missing 22-year-old woman (Daily Mail)
    A body, believed to be that of a missing 22-year-old woman, has been pulled from a 400-ton rock fall on a Dorset beach.

The woman was walking on the beach at Burton Bradstock with her boyfriend and his father shortly after 12.30 yesterday afternoon when a 35ft deep pile of rocks crashed down from a 150ft cliff, trapping them all.

The two men were helped out of the rubble by others on the beach but the woman was walking directly under the fall.
    ---
    much more, with many pictures, at link above

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

How awful for her family and friends. My condolences.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Zoe Bogart is offline Let's not ask for the Moon, we have the Stars
    How tragic! It appears part of the cliff wall collapsed. The cliff must be terribly unstable and could separate again. Keeping the area closed is a good idea. Sounds like they'll have to do extensive examinations.
    My brain is copyright-protected.
    Please pardon any typos. I'm a lousy typist and an even worse proofreader.

Big Brother and the Thought Police have arrived
    1984 by George Orwell (1949)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zoe Bogart For This Useful Post:

A young woman who was crushed to death under a 400-ton landslide as she walked along a beach yesterday has been named as Charlotte Blackman, 22, from Derbyshire.
    ---
    Her uncle, Douglas Blackman, said: 'She was on holiday with her whole family, her mum Rachel, dad Kevin, sister Sinead, little brother Mitchell, and boyfriend Matt.

'My brother and her boyfriend and her little brother were there when it happened. I understand the boyfriend got her little brother away into the sea to get him from it.

'She was a lively, fun-loving woman, who had her whole life in front of her.'
    ---
    Daily Mail

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

This is the nearest beach to where I live and I regularly walk my dog along those cliffs. They are always unstable but the recent extreme weather has exacerbated things.
    It is a beautiful place at the heart of the Jurassic coast, the cliffs are full of fossils and more will be revealed following this slippage.

Poor young woman, my prayers are with her family and friends. Imagine a day at the beach ending like this

There are warning notices everywhere but still people clamber on the rocks and sit under the cliffs. It is a miracle that more weren't hurt, this incident happened at lunchtime.

On a side note the musician Billy Bragg lives very near to where this happened
    England's dancing days are done...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

How awful! My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Badhorsie - you be careful!!!! I am sure this is just a gorgeous spot normally.

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WholeLottaRosie For This Useful Post:

Those rosy cheeks - a rose of England indeed, God bless her. Pictures and the article at Daily Mail link below:

'She had her whole life in front of her': Tributes to ''fun-loving'
    woman, 22, crushed to death by 400-ton Dorset landslide

the Jam: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ADNAQAlQk"]English Rose - YouTube[/ame]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Burton Bradstock cliffs can be seen on the video for this song

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWBrWhrKchQ"]PJ Harvey - The Last Living Rose - YouTube[/ame]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Further rockfalls along this stretch of the coast. According to this report one family refused to move from the area and had to be dealt with by police. WTH is wrong with people???

Dorset Echo link

18. The Following User Says Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

People think that geology is something that happens to someone else. Cliffs are always unstable, if they weren't, they wouldn't be cliffs. We live near smaller beach cliffs, without rocks (they were previously sea floor, eons ago) and they collapse all the time in little piles and in big slumps.

Such a shame, a tragedy...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joanie For This Useful Post: