OK - Third death at facility in 9 months sparks drug rehab center investigation

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Oklahoma drug rehabilitation center under investigation after third death in nine months (Daily Oklahoman)
CANADIAN — A Pittsburg County drug rehabilitation center is under investigation after a third patient died in nine months.

The most recent incident at Narconon Arrowhead involves Stacy Dawn Murphy, 20, of Owasso, whose body was found at the center about 9:20 a.m. Thursday, Sheriff Joel Kerns said.

“Due to the number of deaths at the center, an investigation has been opened,” Kerns said. He said the center has about 150 patients.
---
Her father, Robert Murphy, said: “I want to see a full and complete investigation by the OSBI. I want answers why my daughter didn't receive medical attention, and due to the negligent acts, it is my belief they (Narconon Arrowhead) are unsafe and should be shut down.”
---
much more at link above

I can't believe this is still happening. Why haven't all Narconon Facilities been shut down.

With it being founded on the beliefs of L. Ron Hubbard I seriously doubt the 85% success rate it is touting. Scientology seems to have it's hands in everything these days. And it always turns out bad.

There are a lot of articles and several videos on this, from past stories and people's experiences. Since they don't believe in medication, no one is getting medication. Not even if it is for blood pressure, etc... I have to say, you cannot just stop drugs or alcohol cold turkey either, if you have a long term habit. All major organs shut down. You need the right medication....

These poor families...If only they knew.

From the article, her dad: "His daughter's stay cost the family $1,500 a day, which insurance paid, he said." Whoa.

There are a lot of articles and several videos on this. Since they don't believe in medication, no one is getting medication. Not even if it is for blood pressure, etc... I have to say, you cannot just stop drugs or alcohol cold turkey either, if you have a long term habit. All major organs shut down. You need the right medication....

You are absolutely correct 21merc7 !

Are there any real MD's there? I don't see how they could deny proper medical treatment to someone withdrawing from drugs or alcohol without losing their license! I don't even know where to begin to address the foolishness of failure to properly treat high blood pressure! Stupid, irresponsible, medical neglect! :banghead:

This is part 1 of 2, there are many, many more on youtube:

[video=youtube;8gFqWh2dtOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFqWh2dtOI[/video]

From the article, her dad: "His daughter's stay cost the family $1,500 a day, which insurance paid, he said." Whoa.

Uhmm, so they get paid $ 1,500 a DAY per person for basically providing a bed, since they don't believe in medication OR psychiatry? My God, it seems little more than a flop house designed to make Scientology rich. I understand Scientology pays little mind to burying their dead either. :(

My opinion only.

Insurance companies pay out for this? Non evidence based detox?? I am appalled... I have worked extensively with detoxing addicts, they need meticulous medical management not saunas and vitamins.

Aghast in Albion

“It appears she brought back with her prescription drugs that she did not have a prescription for,” he said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-drug-reh...-in-nine-months/article/3695085#ixzz21vqOb1kx

I want to make it clear that I do not support the 'rehab' center but from the Sheriff's statement, it looks like she OD'd which could've easily happened anywhere else

and I would think/hope her family investigated the center prior to her going there and knew what they were all about

I don't know anything about the other deaths, except that it appears one family successfully sued

I do hope if there is wrongdoing, they are shut down but I don't see how they can be held responsible for providing what they advertise they will provide

http://www.newson6.com/story/266109...ttorney-can-see-narconon-investigation-report

A judge ruled Friday attorneys suing Narconon Arrowhead should see the investigators' report, but the patients' families are still fighting for the report to be made public...

Stacy's death was ruled an overdose, but her father says employees at the Scientology-based facility knew his daughter was on the verge of an O.D., but let her die. The two other deaths remain a mystery. The medical examiner could never figure how Gabriel Graves or Hilary Holten died.

“Knowing they're still open and operating and still doing the same things that they're doing to the public, it's something I can't accept. They have to be closed,” Murphy said.

During the acute phase of withdrawal from alcohol and certain drugs, the seizure threshold is lowered in many people. Some places use certain drugs for so many doses or days to remove that risk as much as they can. Some MD' s have an as-needed order in case of seizures for nurses to use.
If the staff even suspects a patient has contraband, their pockets and belongings are normally searched. A full-scale body search I am not sure about.
There is a line between searching a voluntary patient and what LE can do in the scope of their work. However, if someone is determined to commit suicide or take the drugs they have on hand, they will usually succeed, even if it takes a few times.
Anyone stating they can handle withdrawal as a health care provider is committing malpractice, in my opinion, if they do not have meds on hand to combat seizures.

I don't even think these clowns have physicians on staff at their "rehab" facilities. It is a big scientology business that defrauds hundreds of people yearly.

"Only in Oklahoma," says this ex-Okie.

Deplorable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46