1124 users online (233 members and 891 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation WA - Ed Jeffko, 72, Tonasket, 23 July 2012 - Missing pilot and plane

Pilot of missing plane identified as former Tonasket councilman
    http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...ied-as-former/
    EAST WENATCHEE — After more than two days of searching, rescuers have yet to locate a missing Glasair single-engine plane, piloted by Ed Jeffko, a former Tonasket city councilman, who took off from the Tonasket airport at 6:30 a.m. Monday and never reached his destination in Sequim.

About 45 people and eight aircraft searched the route from Tonasket to Sequim on Tuesday and today, and by 3:30 p.m. had nothing new to report, said Tom Peterson, the state Department of Transportation’s aviation emergency coordinator. They began the search Monday with four planes flying in the Sequim area and heading toward Tonasket.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Jeffko and his plane are asked to contact the search base at missingaircraft@wsdot.wa.gov or 360-410-7757
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 07-25-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    If I really thought I could...
    Id give up your ghost for good.
    But Im not so sure it isnt you..
    That keeps my ghost from leaving too.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

This one hits close to home.
    PLEASE take a look at this...especially my fellow Washingtonians.
    Ed and his wife are very close personal friends to my family. We just want to find him.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

Hey y'all! I think he went missing July 23, not June 23. If we can get the title fixed we'll probably get more action on this thread.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...ied-as-former/

“He’s been a big asset to the community for years,” Plumb said. “He’s been a pilot for years and has talked about making trips all over the state. He’s built his own plane, but bought the one he was flying.”

THIS info is INCORRECT.
    He was flying the plane he built.
    Its a single engine Glasair..white with yellow trim.
    Its a small plane built for speed. In Fact,it could make it from Tonasket to Sequim in 45 mins.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyhuskies View Post
    Hey y'all! I think he went missing July 23, not June 23. If we can get the title fixed we'll probably get more action on this thread.
    Thanks Husky..I changed the date.
    Sorry,my head is spinning.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lane2ndld.html

Fiman says no emergency signal has been received. Civil Air Patrol planes are searching along the route a pilot would fly between Tonasket and Sequim, over the Cascades.

He didnt file a flight plan this time.
    He usually follows the highway...or what pilots like to call.."IFR". ( I Follow Road).
    Since there is no FP,and his Emergency Beacon has not been activated,the searchers are looking at ALL paths he could have flown.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

He seems like an experienced pilot but the fact that he built the plane he was flying is worrisome. Did he fly this plane often? Flying from Wenatchee to Sequim may be 45mins by plane but that is A LOT of area to be searched. I'm from WA but have been out of town this past week. I've heard the weather hasn't been that great (like almost always) but were there any storms going on during the time he was flying that could have caused complications. Do pilots normally file flight plans? (I don't know that much about small aircrafts). If he followed roads and noticed a complication with the plane would he be able to "crash land" maybe on some backboards (I couldn't see anyone crash landing on I-90 because there are many cars). I feel like if his airplane went down over the Puget Sound SOMEONE would have seen it happen and call the coast guard/whoever. If he did encounter some plane issues I would think he could have an emergency signal go off before the plane went down so that there would be a general area to look in.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - I hope he is found soon and just had to make a crash landing somewhere before the sound and is just waiting to be rescued I don't want to think the worst but it seems most likely that his plane went down one way or another whether it was an issue with the airplane or perhaps he had a heart attack or some kind of serious medical thing behind the throttles. If he is an experienced pilot hopefully he knows how to crash land a plane the safest way. I've heard most airplane issues happen immediately after takeoff or before landing. Hope he is found safe soon.
    Last edited by northxnorthwest; 07-26-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm concerned that he didn't file a flight plan - I thought that was mandatory?! Does he usually file flight plans? If not, then it is really concerning to me that he didn't this time.

I am so sorry he is missing and your friend, Gatekeeper.

I don't know the area - are there any large bodies of water between the two cities?

Quote Originally Posted by northxnorthwest View Post
    He seems like an experienced pilot but the fact that he built the plane he was flying is worrisome. Did he fly this plane often? Flying from Wenatchee to Sequim may be 45mins by plane but that is A LOT of area to be searched.
    I just checked and it's almost 300 miles!! And the terrain looks pretty rough over the cascades national park.

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    I'm concerned that he didn't file a flight plan - I thought that was mandatory?! Does he usually file flight plans? If not, then it is really concerning to me that he didn't this time.

I am so sorry he is missing and your friend, Gatekeeper.

I don't know the area - are there any large bodies of water between the two cities?
    Yes..if he had filied a flight plan.,,it would really narrow the search. Its not mandatory to file,but most pilots do. Im not sure why he didnt this time.
    He flew over some very rough terrain and the air currents that swirl and move above the Cascades can be powerful. We dont know how far he got,or if he reached the Sound or went down in the mountains.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

He seems like an experienced pilot but the fact that he built the plane he was flying is worrisome. Did he fly this plane often? Flying from Wenatchee to Sequim may be 45mins by plane but that is A LOT of area to be searched. I'm from WA but have been out of town this past week. I've heard the weather hasn't been that great (like almost always) but were there any storms going on during the time he was flying that could have caused complications. Do pilots normally file flight plans? (I don't know that much about small aircrafts). If he followed roads and noticed a complication with the plane would he be able to "crash land" maybe on some backboards (I couldn't see anyone crash landing on I-90 because there are many cars). I feel like if his airplane went down over the Puget Sound SOMEONE would have seen it happen and call the coast guard/whoever. If he did encounter some plane issues I would think he could have an emergency signal go off before the plane went down so that there would be a general area to look in.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - I hope he is found soon and just had to make a crash landing somewhere before the sound and is just waiting to be rescued I don't want to think the worst but it seems most likely that his plane went down one way or another whether it was an issue with the airplane or perhaps he had a heart attack or some kind of serious medical thing behind the throttles. If he is an experienced pilot hopefully he knows how to crash land a plane the safest way. I've heard most airplane issues happen immediately after takeoff or before landing. Hope he is found safe soon.
    The weather on Monday was fairly good for flying...no major fronts.
    Ed had an ELT (emergency locator transmitter) on board. This should have gone off ...but for some reason,theres been no signal sent out from it.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

BBM
    He knows this plane very well...and flys often.
    Im hopeful that since it is such a small plane,he may have been able to set it down somewhere.
    Joe Henry

. . . . for Sky.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/elt.html

Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)