Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
We don't know a lot about JH's psych profile but we can put some of the pieces together here.

be civil to each other please. None of us know what the truth is at this point so stick to the facts and any speculation should be based on those facts.

Do not make accusations towards the family..at all. We do not know the dynamics. If this should change the rule will change with it.

Thanks.

Found this information about JH's studies (Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders) at UC.

Of particular interest to me, is what they were covering in April. Did JH perhaps begin to realize that some of that symptomolgy he was studying was reflecting somewhat of a mirror image of himself? Or, did he possibly seize upon an opportunity of evil to massacre people, and use the symptomolgy that may have been presented via his education, as his possible defense? Wish I knew.

All of April's coursework piques my interest, but in particular, his studies during the period of April 3rd - April 12th:

April 3 Jason Tregellas, Ph.D. Schizophrenia-- Overview, ImagingPsychiatry

April 5 Karen Stevens, Ph.D. Schizophrenia -- Animal Models Psychiatry

April 10 Randy Ross, M.D. Childhood PsychosisPsychiatry

April 12 Cathy Adams, Ph.D. Schizophrenia -- Neuroanatomy andPsychiatry Development

Here is a presentation JH was scheduled to give:

May 8 STUDENT PRESENTATIONS
1) (name redacted) Epilepsy
2) James Holmes MicroRNA Biomarkers

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/100612191/James-Holmes-Class-PDF

What do you think?

Profile of Aurora shooting suspect keeps getting murkier
July 23, 2012 9:00 am

AURORA, Colo. - Three days after the mass shooting at a Batman movie screening in Colorado, the profile of the suspected killer has only become more ambiguous and confounding.

At first, the image of James E. Holmes was of an incredibly smart, hopelessly shy young man who barely spoke - a loner isolated in a brilliant mind.

Then people came forward and said, yes he was quiet, but he had circles of friends with whom he joked around and socialized. He was a counselor at a camp in the hills above Glendale, Calif., in 2008, and snapshots from camp show him beaming.

More: http://herald-review.com/news/natio...cle_b27a87b8-d4cb-11e1-b1d1-0019bb2963f4.html

Colorado Shooting Suspect Was One Of A Handful Of Students Accepted To Neuroscience Ph.D. Program
Abby Rogers|Jul. 23, 2012, 4:04 PM

The man accused of opening fire during a midnight premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises" had been part of a graduate program that focuses specifically on how the nervous system processes information and accepts just five or six students each year, school authorities said Monday.

James Holmes was one of about 35 students in the highly selective program, UC-Denver Graduate School Dean Barry Shur said in a news conference livestreamed by Reuters.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/james-holmes-phd-program-2012-7#ixzz21jIGV79H

The MicroRNA presentation had to do with cancer research and not psychology. Is that correct?

The MicroRNA presentation had to do with cancer research and not psychology. Is that correct?

I don't think that's correct. He would likely be making a presentation related to neuroscience, not cancer.

I'm not really sure. I'd think something more neurologically related .. like possibly Alzheimers? Or, maybe cancer, as in brain tumors? I don't know.

According to the following link, it's not clear as to whether he ever made the presentation.

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/5204839

ETA: Sorry jjenny ... didn't see your reply as I was googling to try to find the correct answer for ~n/t~.

I don't think that's correct. He would likely be making a presentation related to neuroscience, not cancer.

Well, in one of the JVM shows cancer was mentioned so it could have been any number of diseases. We don't know what his presentation focused on.

What is MicroRNA?

Recent microRNA News
Research finds new gene involved in epilepsy
New research conducted by neuroscientists from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) published in Nature Medicine has identified a new gene involved in epilepsy and could potentially provide...
Researchers discover potential drug targets that might reduce ventilator-induced lung inflammation
When hospital patients need assistance breathing and are placed on a mechanical ventilator for days at a time, their lungs react to the pressure generated by the ventilator with an out-of-control immu...
Targeted regulation of microRNA-125b may lead to effective prostate cancer therapies
A small, naturally occurring nucleic acid sequence, called a microRNA, known to regulate a number of different cancers, appears to alter the activity of the androgen receptor, which plays a critical r...
Positive results from Alnylam’s ALN-TTR02 Phase I trial on TTR-mediated amyloidosis
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a leading RNAi therapeutics company, announced today the achievement of positive clinical results from its Phase I trial with ALN-TTR02, an RNAi therapeutic targeting th...
New paper documents discovery of novel lipids, including MC3
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, a leading RNAi therapeutics company, and collaborators announced today the publication of a scientific paper documenting the discovery of novel lipids used in second generatio...

more at the link

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-MicroRNA.aspx

Since he was studying neuroscience, I think it's a fair guess his presentation would be related to neuroscience. Obviously the title of the course indicate they are discussing psychiatric and neurological disorders, not cancer.

The suspect is not the only sicko.

The sickening tweets of internet users with 'crushes' on Batman killer James Holmes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-girls-crushes-cute-Denver-Batman-killer.html

I think it is rather bizarre to condemn those that say he is nice looking as "sickos". His picture is all over the press, of course people will comment on his looks, many will make insulting comments and others will find him nice looking.

I personally thought he was good looking when I saw the first picture, the pics that came out later with the weird red hair were not at all flattering.

Colorado shooting a reminder that psychiatry, not gun laws, needs fixing

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012...er-that-psychiatry-not-gun-laws-needs-fixing/

Not sure I agree with him in regards to some sort of screening process but interesting concept nonetheless.

Good article.... Thank you

The first photo of JH is on here.... IMHO - MI is written all over his face. And the other photo's just make it more clear - TO ME

Just a snip..........

The case of James Holmes has everything, however, to do with the fractured, fragmented, anemic state of psychiatry in America and our unwillingness to educate the public how to recognize symptoms of mental illness and what to do when those symptoms are identified.

Because, in the end, it will become clear that more than one person -- and probably several, including family, friends, neighbors, classmates, health care personnel or educators -- knew or should have known that James Holmes was confused, losing sight of reality, experiencing severe mood swings, withdrawing from the world around him, experiencing violent fantasies or all of the above.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012...atry-not-gun-laws-needs-fixing/#ixzz21jnDKJUI

Good article.... Thank you

Just a snip..........

Because, in the end, it will become clear that more than one person -- and probably several, including family, friends, neighbors, classmates, health care personnel or educators -- knew or should have known that James Holmes was confused, losing sight of reality, experiencing severe mood swings, withdrawing from the world around him, experiencing violent fantasies or all of the above. Can't lock him up for red hair, being withdrawn, and even for having violent fantasies. It's not illegal to have violent fantasies.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012...atry-not-gun-laws-needs-fixing/#ixzz21jnDKJUI

Nice to know there are psychics among us. In the end, it will become clear? And this person knows this how? And even assuming somebody noticed that JH has become "withdrawn" nothing can be done to him against his will, unless it's known he is a direct danger to himself or others. And being withdrawn is not even close.

Nice to know there are psychics among us. In the end, it will become clear? And this person knows this how? And even assuming somebody noticed that JH has become "withdrawn" nothing can be done to him against his will, unless it's known he is a direct danger to himself or others. And being withdrawn is not even close.

I totally agree with that article... where I snipped a part….but you do not have to.

I have also sat at meetings, classes and support groups.
YES it is true; they all knew something was off, long before any diagnosis.
Believe anything you like. I could not care less.

I personally know nothing of the sort.
And there have been no diagnosis of any kind. And it's pretty much impossible to predict who will become a mass killer among many people with issues.

"It's awfully hard to generalize about these things," said Lawrence Steinberg, professor of psychology at Temple University and an expert in the psychology of adolescent development. "Some (mass murderers) have long histories of depression, others don't. Right now, we don't know yet about this guy's (Holmes) history. Some of these are loners, and he has been described as a loner, but many don't. Some are criminally aggressive before committing these crimes, others are not."
http://news.discovery.com/human/mass-killers-warning-signs-120726.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member