IT - Archaeologists may have discovered tomb and skeleton of da Vinci's Mona Lisa

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Or, if you like, "La Gioconda."

Archaeologists' Mona Lisa search in Florence (BBC News)
Archaeologists have unearthed a skeleton in a rare state of preservation in Florence.

They believe it may be the body of Lisa Gherardini, the Florentine noblewoman widely believed to have served as the muse for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

It could be a crucial step towards unravelling the mystery of the woman with the world's most enigmatic smile.
---
Questions about the identity of the subject in da Vinci's most famous work are addressed here, at Wiki.

And see Sky News Australia, Mona Lisa muse possibly found
---
But now several bodies have been discovered, with one to be tested to confirm if it's Gherardini or not.

The floor of the convent in Florence was dug up after documents revealed that Gherardini lived there after her rich husband died and was eventually buried there.
---

Some mysteries should never be solved.

I know it's been over 500 years, but digging up these bones - um, a bit like grave-robbing, methinks.

I know it's been over 500 years, but digging up these bones - um, a bit like grave-robbing, methinks.

I lived in southern Italy for three years. The people I knew considered it their duty to unearth the past. Undoubtedly because they have so much more of it. We have a measly 230 years,

They're so proud of their cultural heritage.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back