CPSC to sue makers of Magnetic Toys

believe09

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/health/cpsc-sues-magnet-maker/index.html?hpt=us_c2
(CNN) -- The Consumer Product Safety Commission is suing the maker of popular high-powered magnet "desk toys" to get them to stop selling their products, an agency spokesman said Wednesday.
The magnets can pierce holes in the intestines, and some children have needed multiple surgeries and lengthy hospitalizations. Since 2009, there have been at least a dozen ingestions of the magnets in Buckyballs toys.

The Company's Response-

"There are half a billion magnets out there, and unfortunately there are some people who have misused the product," said Andrew Frank. "We market these products to adults age 14 and above, and there are warning labels on the product."

I think this is an interesting debate. The toys are marketed to teens and adults, but children in the homes are being injured significantly by them. I find it even more interesting that the CPSC will not back down.

Well, I don't know. The woman mentioned in the article must have left the magnets somewhere accessible to her 2-year-old. The company has messages all over the box telling consumers to keep out of reach of children. Obviously if a toy is made out of multiple small balls, magnetized or not, a child could swallow that. I lean more toward it being the responsibility of the parent/adult in the home to not bring such products into a home with small children since the product is otherwise safe unless it is swallowed. Lots of products could be harmful if used incorrectly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back