Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    Racism definitely still exists. People have this idea that because the KKK isn't lynching black people, or because we don't have separate water foundations, that racism is a thing of the past. But from reading comments on the Internet, where people are anonymous, I have realized that racism is still a huge problem. For most people, it's worst to be called a racist than to actually be one. People have this dumb idea that because they aren't a member of the KKK, they can say whatever they want, and it's not racist.

This is like a typical conversation:

Person #1: *says something racist*
    Person #2: You shouldn't say that. That's racist.
    Person #1: OMG HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A RACIST. I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS.

Instead, why can't Person #1 respond this way?:

Person #1: *says something racist*
    Person #2: You shouldn't say that. That's racist.
    Person #1: *apologizes*
    eileenhawkeye, scenario #1 is a textbook learning situation with scenario #2 being the correct or somewhat ideal response. Unfortunately, some people will never learn (feel) the second response.

It is indeed a shame.

MOO
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    eileenhawkeye, scenario #1 is a textbook learning situation with scenario #2 being the correct or somewhat ideal response. Unfortunately, some people will never learn (feel) the second response.

It is indeed a shame.

MOO
    It is. And it also indicates the deception practiced by the human mind. People are perfectly capable of holding racist attitudes while insisting their own black friends are the "exceptions".

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    It is. And it also indicates the deception practiced by the human mind. People are perfectly capable of holding racist attitudes while insisting their own black friends are the "exceptions".
    I tiotally agree, Nova!
    **May God Watch Over All Missing and Abused Children**

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaLaw2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.
    Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.
    If this is accurately reported, this pretty much closes the loop for me. I wish them all healing!!

link here
    A long established tradition for sure.

JMO but it may be that one has already sold one's soul when deciding to take a job in such a congregation and it's just downhill from there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Church Issues an Apology

“We, the church, realize that the Hendersons and Wilsons should never have been asked to relocate their wedding. This wrong decision resulted in hurt and sadness for everyone. Both the pastor and those involved in the wedding location being changed have expressed their regrets and sorrow for their actions,” the church said.
    “As a church, we express our apology to Te’Andrea and Charles Wilson for the hurt that was brought to them in the hours preceding their wedding and beyond. We are seeking forgiveness and reconciliation with our Lord Jesus Christ, Te’Andrea and Charles, family and friends of the Hendersons and Wilsons, our church family, and our community for the actions and attitudes that have recently occurred,” the statement continued.
    link

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4