Kolar misleading.

Junebug99

Reaction score
This is very telling, talk about misleading. *Makes me wonder what else in the book is misleading. *One of these books was a bestseller.

Foreign Faction: Who Really Killed JonBenet?, p. 370:

"I had also found it interesting that the Paugh's had reportedly purchased several books on childhood behavior for the Ramsey family. The titles of the books were intriguing:

*The Hurried Child--Growing Up Too Fast, by David Elkind
*Children at Risk, Dobson/Bauer
*Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong, Kilpatrick

When exploring the nature of the content of these three books, I wondered what might have been taking place in the house that prompted the grandparents to purchase these types of childhood behavioral books for the family."(Kolar, 2012)

The Hurried Child--Growing Up Too Fast, by David Elkind
"With the first edition of The Hurried Child, David Elkind emerged as the voice of parenting reason, calling our attention to the crippling effects of hurrying our children through life. He showed that by blurring the boundaries of what is age appropriate, by expecting--or imposing--too much too soon, we force our kids to grow up too fast, to mimic adult sophistication while secretly yearning for innocence. In the more than two decades since this book first appeared, new generations of parents have inadvertently stepped up the assault on childhood, in the media, in schools, and at home. In the third edition of this classic (2001), Dr. Elkind provided a detailed, up-to-the-minute look at the Internet, classroom culture, school violence, movies, television, and a growing societal incivility to show parents and teachers where hurrying occurs and why. And as before, he offered parents and teachers insight, advice, and hope for encouraging healthy development while protecting the joy and freedom of childhood. In this twenty-fifth anniversary edition of the book, Dr. Elkind delivers important new commentary to put a quarter century of trends and change into perspective for parents today."

Children at Risk, Dobson/Bauer
"In this hard-hitting and empowering book, James Dobson and Gary Bauer expose the cultural forces endangering today's children and show what you can do to defend your family, your faith and your traditional values. A national bestseller revised and expanded for even more knowledge to protect your most precious gift-your children."

Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong, Kilpatrick
"A hard-hitting and controversial book, WHY JOHNNY CAN'T TELL RIGHT FROM WRONG will not only open eyes but change minds. America today suffers from unprecedented rates of teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, suicide, and violence. Most of the programs intended to deal with these problems have failed because, according to William Kilpatrick, schools and parents have abandoned the moral teaching they once provided. In WHY JOHNNY CAN'T TELL RIGHT FROM WRONG, Kilpatrick shows how we can correct this problem by providing our youngsters with the stories, models, and inspirations they need in order to lead good lives. He also encourages parents to read to their children and provides an annotated guide to more than 120 books for children and young adults."

If anything, those books should help the Ramsey's, not hurt them.

If anything, those books should help the Ramsey's, not hurt them.

Perhaps you should read the books before swallowing their press releases as evidence that the Ramseys were somehow exempt from being the perpetrators in this crime.

I think the point is that the Paughs felt that the Ramseys NEEDED these books. What exactly was going on with their children that this was so, considering their privileged lifestyle?

Wanted to add that this was pointed out on another website, by a poster other than me. Not trying to take credit for someone elses work.

He totally misrepresents those books, one was a best seller, I would read those books, there is nothing sinister about them.

It's not misleading. The books are not 'sinister'.

You're missing the point...

Of course the point of a parenting book is to help a child who may have a problem.... and/or a parent who may need advice.

But the point of including them in the evidence list in the book is to point out that there is a NEED for that parenting book in the first place, indicating a possible problem with the child.... not to say the parents are 'bad' because they have the book. or that the book is sinister...

They are clues to the problems that may have been going on....

It's a clue about what may have been going on with the kids....

He totally misrepresents those books, one was a best seller, I would read those books, there is nothing sinister about them.

Why would you read all three of those books?

You're missing the point, owning those books mean nothing except they were trying to be the best parents they could be.

For example children at risk is referring to all children, and how you can protect them, I own a book called protecting the gift that is similar to this one.

No, I'm not missing the point when there is a murdered child in the house in THIS case....

So therefore, it's understandable to look at the other potential reasons the books are there...and should be looked at as a possible clue. In fact, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't investigate it....

...but it still doesn't mean that it's because the books are sinister, or the parents are bad for having them..

But since we have this particular situation now, a murdered child, a sibling with past issues, the reason for the books holds more weight and could point to clues with the child's problems.

I have parenting books myself: one is about ODD. One is about BiPolar children. One is about Problem-solving.

These are indicators that these are issues I am having with my child. I'm not a 'bad' parent for having them, but I do have them because I need help with these issues.

None of these books address children with specific mental/emotional problems, judging by the blubs.

The first seems applicable to JB's pageant activity. But since the Paughs already raised a daughter who participated in pageants, that seems a bit odd.

The 2nd appears to be about child raising with a theme that society is bad and here's what you can do about it. Nothing, apparently, to do with SBPs

The third is apparently covering the time worn theme that the younger generation isn't getting proper moral instruction so here's what can be done about that. Again, nothing to do with SBPs or specific mental emotional problems.

I'm going to stop short of calling it misleading. For one thing I will not be able to order and read the Kolar book for a month or two and I'd prefer to know the whole context. And second, I don't know the source of the blurbs, and therefore their accuracy.

But, if the blurbs are accurate these do seem like books that just about any parent, or grandparent, might buy.

P.S.

Reading the reviews on Amazon, it appears that the Hurried Child is more about kids 18-24, at least judging from the review of the Library Journal. It was first published in '81 and revised in '86. Already an "old" book at the time of the murder.

For Children at Risk I could only find customer reviews. The reviews indicated it was written for a general audience.

Likewise with book 3, Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong, the reviews indicate it's for a very general audience.

No, I'm not missing the point when there is a murdered child in the house in THIS case....

So therefore, it's understandable to look at the other potential reasons the books are there...and should be looked at as a possible clue. In fact, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't investigate it....

...but it still doesn't mean that it's because the books are sinister, or the parents are bad for having them..

But since we have this particular situation now, a murdered child, a sibling with past issues, the reason for the books holds more weight and could point to clues with the child's problems.

I have parenting books myself: one is about ODD. One is about BiPolar children. One is about Problem-solving.

These are indicators that these are issues I am having with my child. I'm not a 'bad' parent for having them, but I do have them because I need help with these issues.

But these books that Kolar lists do not seem to be about any specific problem such as ODD or BiPolar. The are very general and applicable (well, meant to be applicable) to just about any family in America. These books do not point to a child with specific mental or emotional problems.

If the books were more specific, say they were about Asperger's, or about children acting out violently, or children with abnormal sexual interests, then yes, they'd very relevant to the case. These are just very general parenting books. I wouldn't be surprised if they also had books by Dr. Spock or Bill Cosby.

maybe the Paugh's saw BR's jealousy? JBR potty problems.
Maybe after years of beauty pagents ma Paugh actually thought
it was pushing JBR into growing up to fast and eventually a problem child?

Did anyone ever interview the Paugh's?

Judging from the effort he must have gone to in tracking down these books, I have a feeling Kolar is, very sadly, going down the same wrong path as Steve Thomas. What a shame. I ordered his book and will read it with great interest. I understand he's unearthed or made public some very relevant evidence pertaining to the "intruder theory," and that could certainly make a difference. (For my take on that theory, see some of my latest blog posts, at http://solvingjonbenet.blogspot.com/)

But no amount of speculation regarding domestic issues, child psychology, bedwetting, painting of fecal matter on walls, hysterical mothers, etc., will take this case any farther than where Thomas was able to take it -- and we know how that one turned out.

There is simply no evidence linking either Burke or Patsy to this crime. Many have seen Patsy's handwriting as a match but many others have rejected that possibility. By now we've seen a wide variety of different interpretations of the handwriting, including some "experts" who matched Karr's writing with the note, absolutely positively. Too bad for them, but they were just as sincere and just as convinced as the Patsy dunnits. As I see it, John's deposition looks a lot like the note, but that's neither here nor there because all of it is only an opinion and nothing more. Handwriting id, especially where it pertains to a deliberately disguised hand, is NOT a science. Far from it.

Patsy's fibers on or around JonBenet are not evidence. It's something one would expect to find even if no crime had been committed and it's easy to see how such fibers could have been transferred to the "garotte," which also happened to be Patsy's paintbrush. What else is there, except idle speculation based on wild theories and hunches? If Kolar's idea is that they were covering for Burke or that John and Patsy were duking it out and JonBenet got caught in the middle, then God help us, we'll never see the end of this case. An injury of that sort could have easily been explained away as an accident. And if anyone wants to claim they wrote the note together or that Patsy wrote it on her own, that theory would be stopped dead in its tracks when their defense lawyer pointed out that Patsy called the cops first thing in the morning, thus nullifying the staging in the note. After hearing such an argument no judge would let the case go forward.

There is only one viable suspect, the one who was the principal suspect from the first day. But he was "ruled out," wasn't he? Oh lah dee dah . . . Why is it so hard for you folks to see the obvious? Why keep going round and round and round in the same boring circle?

Perhaps because not everyone buys your theory 100%. I like your theory very much, and I'm enjoying your blog. But, your theory isn't perfect, and no other theory is either. That's why we keep going 'round 'n 'round.

As an aside, I would encourage anyone new to the case to visit doc's blog. He has a very interesting theory of the case, one which makes a good deal of sense.

Well, obviously, as we all knew, people have already made up their minds about this case, just like Smit and Lacy had, and no amount of evidence is ever going to change that.

So everyone go ahead and take a big VICTORY! run around the track. You're all right!

It really doesn't matter anyway. No one will ever be charged in this murder. JonBenet is dead and rotted in her grave, with her mother to keep her company. Hooray for the Ramseys. They win!

Well, obviously, as we all knew, people have already made up their minds about this case, just like Smit and Lacy had, and no amount of evidence is ever going to change that.

So everyone go ahead and take a big VICTORY! run around the track. You're all right!

It really doesn't matter anyway. No one will ever be charged in this murder. JonBenet is dead and rotted in her grave, with her mother to keep her company. Hooray for the Ramseys. They win!
I haven't made up my mind about this case. I only recently began to read more on this forum and I am on the fence on whether an IDI or a RDI. I don't see this forum as a one side wins , one side must lose situation at all.
JMO.

These books.,to me, show people who are religious minded and blame everything that might go wrong with their kids on society instead of themselves. Also ignoring real possible immediate problems while turning to experts who think they have all the answers. The ramseys seemed to be the type to turn to everything and everyone instead of themselves. Patsy reading books and turning to faith healing and john probably turned to books after all his problems. I doubt if any of them even compared the pageants with kids growing up too fast.

I wonder how much should be read into the books that were in the home. We have hundreds of books on our shelves and, if someone came into our home and tried to figure us out by the books within, they would get some really odd ideas about who we are as people. We have many books that have been given to us or that we bought on a whim and will never look at. I am, unfortunately, an impulse buyer in a book store and pick books up because they looked interesting, only to get them home and realize that I would never read them. I'm sure I am not the only one who does this.

I think what's significant about the books is that the GRANDMOTHER purchased them.That means she either feels there are REAL problems with her grandchildren or she feels GUILTY about the grandchildren's problems?if the GRANDMOTHER is trying to fix something that means she has observed certain things that made her purchase not just 1 but 3 different books.She didn't just take Patsy aside and told her......and I'm sure she did that as well....but she also purchased these books......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back