No to benzocaine for Teething Babies

believe09

Reaction score
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/teething-baby-avoid-benzocaine-fda-says

SUNDAY, July 29 (HealthDay News) -- Parents should not use benzocaine products to relieve teething pain in babies except under the advice and supervision of a health care professional, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.
Benzocaine is a local anesthetic found in over-the-counter products such as Anbesol, Orajel, Baby Orajel, Orabase and Hurricane.
The use of benzocaine gels and liquids to relieve gum and mouth pain can lead to a rare but potentially deadly condition called methemoglobinemia, in which the amount of oxygen carried through the bloodstream is greatly reduced. Children under 2 years old are at particular risk for the condition, the FDA said in a news release.

This is a repeat warning-the first was in 2006

Awesome.

As a parent, I've never really understood the whole baby orajel thing. Yeah, teething sucks, but it's just pain and it does pass. There are plenty of things parents can do to ease it, from cold damp knotted rags to a little bit of ibuprofen. I know I feel very strange with benzocaine in my mouth, it just never really occurred to me to use it on a baby.

Awesome.

As a parent, I've never really understood the whole baby orajel thing. Yeah, teething sucks, but it's just pain and it does pass. There are plenty of things parents can do to ease it, from cold damp knotted rags to a little bit of ibuprofen. I know I feel very strange with benzocaine in my mouth, it just never really occurred to me to use it on a baby.

Is bourbon still okay?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back