Prominent climate-change denier now admits he was wrong

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/07/29/158593/prominent-climate-change-denier.html

WASHINGTON — The verdict is in: Global warming is real and greenhouse-gas emissions from human activity are the main cause.

This, according to Richard A. Muller, professor of physics at the University of California, Berkeley, a MacArthur fellow and co-founder of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project.

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and hundreds of other climatologists around the world came to such conclusions years ago, but the difference now is the source: Muller is a long-standing, colorful critic of prevailing climate science, and the Berkeley project was heavily funded by the Charles Koch Charitable Foundation, which, along with its libertarian petrochemical billionaire founder Charles G. Koch, has a considerable history of backing groups that deny climate change.

In an opinion piece in Saturday's New York Times titled "The Conversion of a Climate-Change Skeptic," Muller writes:

"Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I'm now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause."...........

He calls his current stance "a total turnaround."

More at link.....

Great post. It stands to reason that if the dinosaurs could have become extinct because of cooler temperatures/Ice Age, that we could go out because of warmer climate/Hot Age. Then there is that Asteroid Theory. DUCK!! ;)

Running all the AC doesn't help either. Here, in South Dakota, Black Hills area, we have been over 90 for one month now and over 95 for at least 2/3s of it. That is unusual for here.

I'm glad to see Muller reversed himself. Now, Rush Limbaugh is next. :floorlaugh:

From the studies that I have seen, one of the biggest causes of greenhouse gas emissions are....cows. Yep, moo cows, good ole' Daisy. The amount of meat that it takes to feed this country (to say nothing of the rest of the world) has led to us having monumental numbers of concentrated groups of cattle, and the methane and other gasses that they generate in staggering amounts is damaging our environment almost as much as other industrial emissions. MOO (no pun intended.)

The US pretty much surpasses all other nations on the amount of meat consumed per capita. One of the biggest threats to our climate is the emulation of US lifestyle in other countries, namely China. Mother Jones had an article about it a couple years ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back