Flights of angels: writer Gore Vidal dead at 86.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Good night sweet prince,/And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. (Hamlet V ii)

Gore Vidal obituary (Guardian)
Novelist, playwright and essayist with a
complete mastery of the scene he described

Gore Vidal, the American writer, controversialist and politician manqué, who has died aged 86, was celebrated both for his caustic wit and his mandarin's poise. His public career spanned seven decades and included 25 novels, numerous collections of essays on literature and politics, a volume of short stories, five Broadway plays, dozens of television plays and film scripts, and even three mystery novels written under the pseudonym Edgar Box. After 9/11 and the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, he returned to centre stage with a series of blistering pamphlets and public pronouncements that led many, including his former friend Christopher Hitchens, to pounce on him. But Vidal never looked back.
---
the rest at the link

Daily Telegraph: Obituary: Gore Vidal

Associated Press: Gore Vidal, celebrated author, playwright, dies

His passing is a great loss for the literary world and the world in general. When someone of his stature and intelligence passes, it is necessary to reflect on the void that is resultant and to also wonder who will step up to fill his shoes.

Sadness.

Time to dust off some of my favorites and re-read them. I adore "Empire".

:(. RIP

I hope he is somewhere giving William F Buckley hell :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth