23 22.33%
  • Death Penalty - self explanatory

40 38.83%
  • Undecided - self explanatory

15 14.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty or ?

Death Penalty or ?

Thought I would start a poll, to include NGRI, LWoP, Death Penalty, Undecided.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    My vote was LWoP. I would reserve the death penalty only for LWoP convicts who commit additional serious crimes (murder, rape, torture, escape ...) while incarcerated.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

I put undecided - not sure how all of this mental health stuff will play out- will wait- either LWOP or death penalty for me. No mental institution or lesser penalty.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkflamingo For This Useful Post:

death penalty

He doesn't deserve to live since he killed so many people and ruined so many peoples lifes.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenniferTx For This Useful Post:

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    I voted undecided. I prefer to wait until trial and all the evidence has been presented before I make up my mind as to punishment.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OneLostGrl For This Useful Post:

Not enough information available to make this decision.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to newsleuther For This Useful Post:

i voted LWOP. he gets off too 'easy' with the death penalty. he needs to live the rest of his life in solitary confinement if u ask me. i'd prefer some sort of daily torture take place if it was up to me.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KDOGG For This Useful Post:

I believe the death penalty is a much too easy way "out"...and most of my life ive been very pro-DP....

I believe life in prison is not enough.....they get way too many luxuries/privileges....

When it comes to people like murderers pedophiles/sexual offenders....I believe the best solution is a loooong drawn out painful death.....like digging a hole, throwing the person in a that hole, covering it minus a hole for air and let them rot there slowly....

^^yeah, pretty gruesome, but i believe some crimes deserve the harshest punishment one could hand out....

with that said.....when it comes to mental dissorders and people who truly had no control over their actions because their mind is ****ed up....i have some different thoughts.
    dum spiro, spero

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prima.facie For This Useful Post:

Too early to decide.

Still on the fence

I see planning on buying his killing "equipments" but the question is, was he in the right state of mind while he was doing that.

I would like to hear from a 3rd Party Psychiatrist who will actually see and evaluate JH right now. I want to see brain imaging and see if he is suffering from a brain tumor or any other affiliated diseases.

But one thing i am sure - He shouldn't be FREE AND he shouldn't be mingling with the Public . He is dangerous IMO.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to February For This Useful Post:

I voted NGRI. Having had experience in higher education with folks who are brilliant and severely mentally ill, I have to step back and wait to be convinced otherwise. Maybe I am wrong -- evidence will tell.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

LWOP, at this point, but I reserve my right to change my mind as new info comes out. I just hope he doesn't somehow get married and have children while he's in prison.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious Me For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KDOGG View Post
    i voted LWOP. he gets off too 'easy' with the death penalty. he needs to live the rest of his life in solitary confinement if u ask me. i'd prefer some sort of daily torture take place if it was up to me.
    In all likelihood they will never carry death penalty out in Co. Now, if he was in TX, that would be another story.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by seattlechiquita View Post
    I voted NGRI. Having had experience in higher education with folks who are brilliant and severely mentally ill, I have to step back and wait to be convinced otherwise. Maybe I am wrong -- evidence will tell.
    He can be mentally ill-that doesn't necessarily make him legally insane and doesn't prevent a conviction.
    Mental illness and legal insanity are not one and the same.
    Just my opinion

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

i voted death penalty,i may not be american but i don't see why american taxpayers should pay to house this evil person for the rest of his life.

he took so many lives and and ruined many others,he does not deserve the privilege of life
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to josie1986 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by josie1986 View Post
    i voted death penalty,i may not be american but i don't see why american taxpayers should pay to house this evil person for the rest of his life.
    The cost of a death penalty case far exceeds the cost of housing an inmate for life. ( link ) For example, it cost Florida tax payers $5M to put Ted Bundy to death ( link ).

That said, am not saying the man should not be put to death, just that the common arguments, cost (as you suggest) and deterrence (as some believe), are myths.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:

Do you all think there's any relation between America's acceptance of the DP, and it's acceptance of gun violence?

Someone much wiser than me pointed out, you don't have more crazies than anyone else, they are just better armed.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

Fry him! He murdered in cold blood, with no care about babies, young children, mothers, fathers and older people. Not to mentioned the ones he wounded and the families and friends of these vitcims.

We have had too much of this in our country. We need swift justice to show the wanna bes we mean business, and there is no tolerance for this in our society.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4Jacy For This Useful Post:

I voted LWOP

I think the state wants DP, but I am not so sure all the families will want that.

I think the def. will start out with the Insanity argument, then in the end there will be a deal that gives him LWOP.

Quote Originally Posted by rollinginit View Post
    I voted LWOP

I think the state wants DP, but I am not so sure all the families will want that.

I think the def. will start out with the Insanity argument, then in the end there will be a deal that gives him LWOP.
    At least some family members do want the death penalty, according to tmz.
    With so many victims, not everybody is going to agree, but I don't see why they have to.
    Just my opinion

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    At least some family members do want the death penalty, according to tmz.
    With so many victims, not everybody is going to agree, but I don't see why they have to.
    What's the state going to do if half want the dp and half don't?

IMO, I think there will be a plea somewhere along the way. Lwop.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    He can be mentally ill-that doesn't necessarily make him legally insane and doesn't prevent a conviction.
    Mental illness and legal insanity are not one and the same.
    I understand the difference - My vote stands, and my reasons are mine. I don't have to justify it to you or to anybody else.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rollinginit View Post
    What's the state going to do if half want the dp and half don't?

IMO, I think there will be a plea somewhere along the way. Lwop.
    State can decide to do whatever it wants, it doesn't actually have to follow wishes of the victims, since it represents the state (justice) and not the victims personally.
    I don't think there will be a plea here.
    Just my opinion

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443866404577569901034583304.html?m od=googlenews_wsj
    Loughner to Plead Guilty in Giffords Shooting, Official Says

Jared Loughner, the young Tucson man accused of shooting then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killing six people, is set to plead guilty Tuesday, an official familiar with the case said Saturday.

A psychologist appointed by the court is expected to say at the hearing that he is competent to plead guilty,

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

LWOP death penalty cases are so expensive..full of appeals that cost taxpayers a fortune and are generally a pain in the a.. I would definitely hope that he would plead guilty and go for LWOP. He does deserve the death penalty..

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pferrin For This Useful Post:

I'm going to post this article here b/c it has to do with LWOP or DP and the brand new DA elections coming up in Aurora. Both candiates list their opinion on DP in this article.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...day?source=pkg

A story that is still making national headlines will bring with it maybe the biggest decision of his career as well: whether to seek the death penalty against James Eagan Holmes, the man charged with the brutal midnight attack carried out during the premiere of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises."

That's because it's a question not likely to be left to current District Attorney Carol Chambers, who is term-limited and will leave office in January
    after eight years as the top prosecutor in Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln counties.

Instead, that decision will ultimately come from one of two men who are vying in November to replace Chambers: Democrat Ethan Feldman or Republican George Brauchler.
    Both candidates have had experience with death-penalty cases: Brauchler, working with the prosecution in a military case; and Feldman a former judge and prosecutor as a defense attorney.

Ultimately, neither case sent anyone to death row

46. The Following User Says Thank You to rollinginit For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast