812 users online (121 members and 691 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Armchair Psych Profile and Treatment

We don't know a lot about JH's psych profile but we can put some of the pieces together here.

be civil to each other please. None of us know what the truth is at this point so stick to the facts and any speculation should be based on those facts.

Do not make accusations towards the family..at all. We do not know the dynamics. If this should change the rule will change with it.

Thanks.

Here is the full article; I basically transcribed the details of the report on World News with Diane Sawyer in my earlier post:

Psychiatrist Called Threat-Team About Aurora Shooting Suspect James Holmes

Aurora, Colo., shooting suspect James Holmes came to the attention of the threat assessment committee at the University of Colorado but no further action was taken because he left the school more than a month before the attack that killed 12 and injured 58, sources told ABC News.

ABC News has learned that Dr. Lynne Fenton, the psychiatrist who was treating Holmes, 24, at the school, was also a key member of the university's threat assessment team. The group of experts were responsible for protecting the school from potentially violent students.

KMGH-TV, ABC News' affiliate in Denver, reported exclusively that, according to sources, by early June, Fenton had informed other members of the team about her concerns regarding Holmes.

But on June 10 -- three days after Holmes bought an assault weapon and added it to his already growing arsenal -- he suddenly told the university that he was dropping out of the neurosciences doctoral program with no explanation.

Please continue discussion here on Holme's behavior and treatment.
    Please stay on topic.
    Last edited by JBean; 08-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tambo View Post
    most kids just stay on their parents insurance these days. they are covered until they turn 26. i don't know for sure if he is, but i would guess that he would be. jmo
    Uh, that depends on many things.

I know 30 days before my daughter turned 19, our insurance requested some information about her. Where she working...McD's....and where she went to school. Then they dropped her on her 19th birthday. The reason, b/c she had a job. It didn't matter that she was part time and going to school full time. Mcd's offers insurance. Expensive insurance. Didn't matter to our insurance company.

Now, in 2014, if she still doesn't have insurance, I can add her back on ours. That when the law comes into full effect.

Like I said yesterday:
    If I was JH Mom I would sue the therapist and school so bad they would be out of business permanently.
    IMHO this was to be treated with urgency in June - 5 weeks passed. As a Mom I would not accept that at all.

Report: Psychiatrist warned university about Aurora suspect weeks before massacre
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-massacre?lite

But MI has such a stigma that people do not handle it respectfully.
    Get a great Lawyer Mrs. Holmes because you will have no sympathy with so many dead, not an easy case.
    But as his mom -you should get started on it today. Teaching this specialty there should be far more accountability.

MOO MOO MOO
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by songline View Post
    RIGHT ON

she did have the power to commit him to a hospital against his will.

I bet that her records are in up to par, and she will make up everything to fit into some BS Un= accountability.
    (there are enough links here that talk about her record keeping) __________________
    Hey Songline, what is your legal basis for stating that this psychiatrist had the power to commit him to a hospital against his will?

In my experience, local police make the decision whether they will take a person to the hospital. If they do, once there, hospital psychs determine whether they will keep a person there, against there will.

The only power the treating psychiatrist has is to report direct threats of harm to the authorities. And if there are no such direct threats, then she can say nothing. So can you tell me your legal basis for concluding this psych had the power to do this?

Also, if she communicated her concerns to the rest of the BETA team, that means they were trying to set up a voluntary assessment. As I have repeated several times, that would be wholly unnecessary if a direct threat had been made. Instead, it sounds like this guy may have been exhibiting bizarre behavior that seriously concerned the psychiatrist but that did not rise to the level of reportable behavior.

Do you doubt what I am saying? Do you believe that a direct threat was made and communicated by Fenton to a whole team of mental health professionals and not one of them called the authorities? Or do you believe that a treating mental health professional has the unilateral authority to commit a patient against their will, in the absence of a direct threat of harm? If so, what is your legal basis for saying this?

Thanks in advance, friend. I'm seriously trying to understand!!

P.S. Glad to see someone else is up. I'm having serious insomnia!!!
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Let's not forget that James Holmes' mother Arlene is a register nurse (reports have indicated that she works in the psychiatric division although I can't confirm).

That being said, I would assume him having health insurance would be important to them and as a student he could be covered by his parents plan. Also of note, if in fact Arlene Holmes is a psychiatric nurse, perhaps she encouraged James to seek treatment at the university. (Which in my opinion if true would be wonderful and helpful to rehabilitate her in the public's eyes) Also makes me think that the parents were likely unaware he dropped out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

Why are we worried about insurance? Didn't the school policy posted in the last thread say students would be covered for 6 more months free of charge after they left the program?

It was his choice if he wanted to continue to see Dr. Fenton or another Doc at the campus. Clearly he didn't like Fenton, or he would not have sent her a package knowing the damage it could do for her.

If he wanted treatment, I'm certain every Doc on the campus would have helped him find it or even given it. We know from others that have posted here that his studies included having a Psych Doc available to them, so I don't understand any insurance debates as far as JH is concerned.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rollinginit View Post
    Uh, that depends on many things.

I know 30 days before my daughter turned 19, our insurance requested some information about her. Where she working...McD's....and where she went to school. Then they dropped her on her 19th birthday. The reason, b/c she had a job. It didn't matter that she was part time and going to school full time. Mcd's offers insurance. Expensive insurance. Didn't matter to our insurance company.

Now, in 2014, if she still doesn't have insurance, I can add her back on ours. That when the law comes into full effect.
    hmmmm, that is strange. I don't know where you live or who your insurance company is, but that law went into effect in sept of 2010. my son has been back on our insurance for almost a year, we only had to wait for our enrollment period and then put him back on. He is not a student etc...he has a friend who is married and also was able to be put back on his parents insurance,,,,i think your insurance company is not following the law. I would call them asap. I know that you said your daughter works for mc'ds part time which means she is not eligible for insurance through them, so she should be eligible under yours....good luck
    Last edited by tambo; 08-02-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edit year

Quote Originally Posted by songline View Post
    Like I said yesterday:
    If I was JH Mom I would sue the therapist and school so bad they would be out of business permanently.
    IMHO this was to be treated with urgency in June - 5 weeks passed. As a Mom I would not accept that at all.

Report: Psychiatrist warned university about Aurora suspect weeks before massacre
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-massacre?lite

But MI has such a stigma that people do not handle it respectfully.
    Get a great Lawyer Mrs. Holmes because you will have no sympathy with so many dead, not an easy case.
    But as his mom -you should get started on it today. Teaching this specialty there should be far more accountability.

MOO MOO MOO
    What exactly would be the basis for any such lawsuit? Really? What merit could it possibly have?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    Why are we worried about insurance? Didn't the school policy posted in the last thread say students would be covered for 6 more months free of charge after they left the program?

It was his choice if he wanted to continue to see Dr. Fenton or another Doc at the campus. Clearly he didn't like Fenton, or he would not have sent her a package knowing the damage it could do for her.

If he wanted treatment, I'm certain every Doc on the campus would have helped him find it or even given it. We know from others that have posted here that his studies included having a Psych Doc available to them, so I don't understand any insurance debates as far as JH is concerned.
    Did the school post that he could be treated for six month even after leaving the program? I missed that.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Did the school post that he could be treated for six month even after leaving the program? I missed that.
    Ah, okay, then I misread the school policy regarding 6 more months.

I still think the Docs there would have helped him until he found a Doc, and even helped him find one, if he chose to see one.

Clearly, he had other plans, and did not want to see a Doc. MOOOOO
    Last edited by 21merc7; 08-02-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I thought so, but I hadn't had any coffee yet. I'll go back and look.

ETA: I was wrong, they have the right to continue the plan for 6 months. I still think the Docs would have helped him out though, one way or another:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

http://www.ucdenver.edu/life/service...tHlthBroch.pdf
    Last edited by KateB; 06-20-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    Ah, okay, then I misread the school policy regarding 6 more months.

I still think the Docs there would have helped him until he found a Doc, and even helped him find one, if he chose to see one.

Clearly, he had other plans, and did not want to see a Doc.
    I agree. If he asked for referral I am sure the school would have helped him finding a new doctor.
    Just my opinion

Do we know the date of the failed oral exam? Which professor(s) give it and determine pass/fail? Then compare to date Fenton alerted Beta Team?

Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast