Social & economic costs

StellarsJay

Reaction score
A place to track the eventual costs of the Sandusky crimes and their branching trails: including legal, court, victim treatment and restitution, settlements, insurance matters, how the $60MM fine is used, and other quantifiable social costs as information emerges.

Not to include economic costs to the football program- there are already better threads for that.

Here's a start:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/cost_of_working_with_jerry_san.html
Cost of working with Jerry Sandusky victims creates $500,000 budget shortfall for Clinton County CYS, official says
"Gerald Rosamilia said his agency is about $500,000 over budget, primarily because of time put in by a psychologist, child protective services and staffers working with the victims, plus attorney fees.

Rosamilia said the agency has worked with Victim 1 since 2008 and with another victim, whom Rosamilia did not identify other than to say the man testified at Sandusky’s trial in June. Sandusky was convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys over 14 years and is awaiting sentencing.

While some of the extra costs are reimbursable, Rosamilia said no additional money is available from the state..."

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyid.asp?idx=287941
Penn State Expects Report Soon on Scandal Internal Investigation
July 3, 2012 by Bill Schackner

"Meanwhile, expenses from the scandal continue to mount. Penn State said costs for legal fees, consultants and public relations firms is nearly $12 million. The $11,927,987 tally from November through April does not include settlements."

I think I said $100,000,000 to $150,000, 000, but that might be an underestimate.

I guess this is related to costs, at least how to pay them:

Sen. Fontana Discusses Penn State Scandal

http://dormont-brookline.patch.com/articles/sen-fontana-discusses-penn-state-scandal

............Penn State receives a state allocation every year for “general operations” for such things as tuition costs, research, to upgrade school buildings to make sure they are suitable to live in, etc. In fact, over $900 million of the university’s finances came from state and federal funding in 2011. In an effort to secure flat level funding from the Pennsylvania Legislature for the 2012-13 school year, Penn State has agreed to not raise tuition rates above the rate of inflation as well as promised to not use any of this state funding to pay for expenses incurred because of the Sandusky ordeal.............

Penn State President Rodney Erickson stated on CBS’s “Face The Nation” this weekend that the university would likely provide a long-term loan to the athletic department from its financial reserves to pay the fine. If part of this long-term loan isn’t coming from past state and federal funding, where are these “reserves” coming from? Furthermore, why haven’t these reserves been used to help keep tuition costs down for this upcoming school year, rather than asking the state to once again pitch in more taxpayer dollars?............

At this point, I think it would be wise for the General Assembly to keep a close eye on Penn State to make sure that not one penny of taxpayers’ dollars be used to pay for the NCAA’s repercussions as well as any other fines, legal costs, penalty sanctioned child abuse programs, victim restitution or additional expenses in response to or defense of the Sandusky scandal. Until this long-term “loan” is paid off, perhaps Penn State should have to open up their financial expenditures to the General Assembly as a condition to continue to receive a state allocation in the future or be stripped of their "non preferred" status. Otherwise, what conditions are in place to guarantee that state funding won’t be used or to assure that this loan actually gets repaid to the school?..........

More at link.....

Prosecutors want Penn State fine money to fund abuse centers

http://articles.philly.com/2012-08-08/news/33101424_1_child-advocacy-child-advocacy-abuse

Pennsylvania's district attorneys hope to channel part of a $60 million NCAA fine levied against Pennsylvania State University for its handling of the Jerry Sandusky scandal to bolster and expand child-advocacy centers across the state.

The centers provide child-abuse victims access to social workers, therapists, investigators, and prosecutors under one roof, and would offer the most effective use of the money because they directly address abuse treatment and prevention in the university's home state, said Shawn C. Wagner, president of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association................

The group also lobbied Penn State president Rodney Erickson and NCAA president Mark Emmert in a letter last week.

More at link....

I'm thinking of the whole riot as collateral damage which could have been less likely with different timing by the Board.

Moral of the story: If you want to be an officer in the US Army, don't do stupid things, like rioting.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for the guy.

Me either J.J. I hope he now has the answer to the question - Was it worth it all because a football coach was fired?

I'm thinking of the whole riot as collateral damage which could have been less likely with different timing by the Board.

It probably would have been better controlled, but I think it would have happened. It might have been worse if it was announced earlier.

It probably would have been better controlled, but I think it would have happened. It might have been worse if it was announced earlier.

Had it been announced before his 409th win, no doubt it would have been worse.

Penn State scandal opens up Title IX questions

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/14807892-419/penn-state-scandal-opens-up-title-ix-questions.html

Among the legal questions still swirling around Penn State, one has drawn little attention but could pose a threat to the university: Did the school’s handling of sex abuse allegations against assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky violate the federal Title IX gender discrimination law?.........

........Title IX is potentially more than a legal afterthought. The reason: Not only have Title IX lawsuits produced some of the most expensive judgments against universities in recent years, but the law allows for the possibility — however unlikely — that a university’s access to all federal dollars could be cut off............

Federal student aid (grants and loans) contributed about $700 million to Penn State’s $4.3 billion operating budget last year, and federal research more than $470 million. Losing those annual funds would dwarf the $60 million penalty imposed by the NCAA and even Penn State’s likely bill from civil lawsuits.

The Education Department has not yet opened a formal Title IX inquiry as part of its broad-based investigation into Penn State, but hasn’t ruled it out, said spokesman Justin Hamilton. He confirmed it is evaluating a request, from legal groups including the Women’s Sports Foundation and the ACLU, to open a Title IX inquiry. Hamilton said the department, which is already investigating possible violations of the Clery Act for failing to report campus crimes, would investigate “all potential sexual offense issues” at Penn State, including the university’s response to sexual assault cases unrelated to Sandusky’s.........

........ He added the department would do its own investigation and wouldn’t rely on the Freeh Report, which was commissioned by the university, .........

The circumstances of the Penn State case would make it an unusual Title IX case — notably because Sandusky’s victims weren’t students or employees. But that doesn’t get the university off the hook, ............... The law’s language protects any “person” from harassment and seems to apply to anyone on campus (such as visiting sports teams), though the guidance is fuzzy............

Lake, the Stetson professor, who had no involvement in the request to OCR, agreed that if the allegations in the Freeh report are true “there’s enough evidence to suggest you had a culture that was at least ripe with the potential to do the kinds of things Title IX is designed to prevent.”

More at link.....

The largest financial blow to PSU would be loss of students and their money. It places the $60M fine in it's proper place, towards the bottom of the list. The football program helped draw the students in.

The largest financial blow to PSU would be loss of students and their money. It places the $60M fine in it's proper place, towards the bottom of the list. The football program helped draw the students in.

Probably close to $1 billion per year, when calculating matching grants and direct tuition payments. It would also devastate the region, something that I do not want to see.

Penn State has get out from under this quickly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back