Toronto police sued over "hairy leg" profiling

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Zombies and Sasquatch.

A group of seven protesters from Hamilton, Ont. are suing Toronto police for $1.4 million, claiming they were unfairly profiled, arrested and mistreated during the G20 summit.

Charney said Toronto police unfairly profiled his clients, and arrested them because they appeared to be protesters based on their clothing and physical features, which included women with hairy legs.

“That profile included markers such as people who have backpacks, lawyers’ numbers on their arms, people with Quebec licence plates, people speaking French, people wearing black clothing.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-police-sued-for-1-4m-over-g20-hairy-legs-profiling-1.900245

The Toronto G20 event was a sad, sad day for Canada in that police felt they could act the way did and expected no backlash or consequences.

This group will likely have a tough time proving their allegations, but I believe them for sticking it out for this long. Those with false allegations are likely to have given up long before this. What Toronto got after the G20 display by LE is a rash of gun violence with many dead and wounded. A total disrespect for LE which may have happened to some degree anyway but the handling of the G20 most certainly did not help the relationship between the citizens of Toronto and their police force.

Hopefully Police Chief Bill Blair will step down and let someone else try to repair the damage. Moo.

The Toronto G20 event was a sad, sad day for Canada in that police felt they could act the way did and expected no backlash or consequences.

This group will likely have a tough time proving their allegations, but I believe them for sticking it out for this long. Those with false allegations are likely to have given up long before this. What Toronto got after the G20 display by LE is a rash of gun violence with many dead and wounded. A total disrespect for LE which may have happened to some degree anyway but the handling of the G20 most certainly did not help the relationship between the citizens of Toronto and their police force.

Hopefully Police Chief Bill Blair will step down and let someone else try to repair the damage. Moo.

[bbm]

anyone who is violent with guns already has a total disrespect for society in general IMO

I'm not sure what exactly these protestors are suing about - they're complaining that they were profiled as protestors, which is exactly what they were

they're complaining that they were kept in jail for 24 hours but we don't know why or what charges they were being held on or any of the details that led to the arrest

they're complaining that they were mocked for hairy legs by police officers so that should result in a complaint to the professional ethics board

they're complaining that one of them was 'sexually assaulted' b/c an officer grabbed her behind so that is a criminal action IMO and she should be pursuing that in criminal court - if she asked for charges to be filed and police or prosecutor refused to take it to court, then one would think that would be part of the lawsuit

but they haven't released any details about what happened leading up to their detainment and they're choosing to file a 1.4 million lawsuit in a very public way by inviting media along for the ride

so here's what I think - I think their socio-political agenda is very clear and since we, the public, pay for police services, I'm a bit pissed off that I'm working everyday to fund a defense against a lawsuit that, if won, will also be paid by my taxes so that these protestors can line their pockets

yeah, that's my opinion - it ain't pretty but it's what I think

the one girl who was assaulted deserves justice in the form of criminal charges, an integrity investigation, and a formal, public apology

what she is going to get instead is a whole lot of cash and some free publicity for her cause(s)

I thought what they are suing for was well laid out in the article, but I didn't pick up on the defense is publicly funded. Is it?

Someone has to rein in out of control cops imo so I wish them well in their pursuit. I don't think they will get anywhere near what they are asking for though if they win. A win and some money will be a valid statement and act as a deterrent for LE in the future.

Zombies and Sasquatch.

A group of seven protesters from Hamilton, Ont. are suing Toronto police for $1.4 million, claiming they were unfairly profiled, arrested and mistreated during the G20 summit.

Charney said Toronto police unfairly profiled his clients, and arrested them because they appeared to be protesters based on their clothing and physical features, which included women with hairy legs.

“That profile included markers such as people who have backpacks, lawyers’ numbers on their arms, people with Quebec licence plates, people speaking French, people wearing black clothing.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-police-sued-for-1-4m-over-g20-hairy-legs-profiling-1.900245

women with hairy legs and Quebec licence plates :floorlaugh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back