Thread: Gabby Douglas...hip, hip, hooray!

Gabby Douglas...hip, hip, hooray!

I am so proud of Gabby "The Flying Squirrel" Douglas and her extraordinary accomplishments in the London Olympics! Gold in the gymnastics all around! Woo hoo!

At the same time I'm disgusted with all the "Tweets" putting down her hair. How sad that such a beautiful young lady with an incredible smile can accomplish so much after so many years, yet ESPN chooses to run with the story about her hair.

Sure, this isn't bullying as defined in Webster's, but I see bullying as anything that is said or done to put down someone and I think this sure qualifies. This young woman had to leave her family to live with another family in order to be able to train for years to get where she is. Her performance was beyond amazing...and all some folks can focus on is her hair?

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...d=2012_espw_ob

"It makes me absolutely sick to see these comments about Gabby's hair," said Swin Cash, the decorated Team USA forward who is in London for her third Olympics. "What sickens me more is that it's mostly people from our own community. She is a beautiful, talented young lady. I hope she ignores the ignorance because she's an Olympic gold medalist. Enough said."

Why did ESPN even need to bring that up? Sure they're bashing the bashing, but still it would have been better buried and her accomplishments heralded. I, too, hope she can look past all the stupidity and ignorance and relish the spotlight. The MSM gets more and more disgusting IMO.
    Last edited by Reality Orlando; 08-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Sheesh, what's wrong with her hair??? I think she's a cutie--and a very very talented girl. She shines out there!

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Shelby1 For This Useful Post:

I have TOTALLY fallen in love with her God Bless her.

I'm willing to bet most of America has. She is beautiful and it shines from the inside out. I'm even willing to bet most of us could care less about her hair.

I don't even watch the Olympics - just saw stories of her on the news.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Only4Justice For This Useful Post:

She sure does shine-We love you Gabby!!!ESPN-You really need to get a grip!!!

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:

You can be sure that if a woman is in the spotlight, someone will bring up her appearance. No matter how great her achievements, how hard she works, it will happen.

Secretary of State? Never mind that, she looks awful! And besides, we like her husband better!

Previous secretary of State? She always looks mad! But hey guys, I'd "do her", wouldn't you?!

Former Attorney General? Hah, she looks like a man!

Olympic medalist? Who cares, her hair looks terrible!

Oscar-winning actress? We don't want to see her, she is too old now!

Disgusting. And yes, it is a form of bullying.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Why would this reporter write this crap and give those few insignificant jealous losers a platform - because she is lazy IMO and took the easy route for clicks.

More insulting is her passive aggressive approach, where she, as an African American woman, chose to give this silly matter attention by making it the main focus of her article. She should have never mentioned it, and as a sports writer and not a hair dresser, and simply wrote about Gabby's Gold Medal accomplishments and how Gabby will forever stand as an inspiration for young girls everywhere. No - she wrote about the very thing she chastised those few tweeters for doing. Shame on her.....
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to zippitydoda For This Useful Post:

Charlie09 is offline Don't let the Charlie fool ya, Proud Mamma here!
    She's beautiful, and has the most radiant smile I've seen! My daughter has posters of Bethany Hamilton in her room and just asked last night if we could get some of Gabby too! (Absolutely!)

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Charlie09 For This Useful Post:

I have the one of her in the air over the balance beam as my screen saver. I'm in awe of talent like that and I think shes' amazing!

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

I didn't even notice her hair..all I saw was a beautiful, talented young lady with a million $ smile. Gabby is AWESOME!!
    Support Our Troops

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JustPeachy For This Useful Post:

Go Gabby

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pferrin For This Useful Post:

Now the Huff Post picked up the story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...usaolp00000003

I honestly don't get it. Her hair looks just like the other girls!

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shelby1 For This Useful Post:

HER HAIR?????!

Stupid, ignorant ESPN.........what a joke you are!

She's adorable and her hair looks fine! She just won a gold medal!

This just shows you.........insecure people always want to find fault and imperfection with a winner. It makes them feel better somehow.
    [/I]

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mysterygirl For This Useful Post:

Angry

Aside from the most obvious fact that it takes away from her accomplishments, and breaking through a color barrier, the most ridiculous argument about her hair is because most athletes- gymnasts, swimmers, racers, dancers, etc... wear their hair pulled back in ponytails or buns so that their hair isn't getting in their face while they're performing. Gabby Douglas is beautiful no matter how she wears her hair, and her smile is award winning!!!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

Why is her hair an issue. Isn't a gymnast air suppose to be like that as they perform.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Why is her hair an issue. Isn't a gymnast air suppose to be like that as they perform.
    Yes, they usually have it in buns or pony tails so it doesn't get in their face while they are performing. My daughter's ballet teacher required buns for dance class.
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Yes, they usually have it in buns or pony tails so it doesn't get in their face while they are performing. My daughter's ballet teacher required buns for dance class.
    My DD's dance teacher also requires hair pulled back. She says you are not "serious" about dance unless your hair is pulled back. How could someone do gymnastics with their hair flying around?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stillwatersc For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    No spoiler, I promise, for those of you who have yet to see Gabby compete in the Individual Uneven Bars competition. Douglas wears a spectacular silver metallic leotard!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Like what's important about a gold medalist is her HAIR?
    -Beth In Alaska

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BethInAK For This Useful Post:

I keep hearing about this and, for the life of me, I still can't figure out what's wrong with her hair. And now that she's made American sports history, why are we even looking?

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Lauren Scruggs: "learning to live by faith, not by sight"

Gabby & fellow inspiration Lauren Scruggs got to meet each other.

The interview took place in London's Olympic Village, where Scruggs said she was taking strength from the Games and the perseverance of the athletes. Asked to single out a particular Olympian, Scurggs mentioned all-around gold-medal gymnast Gabby Douglas – who suddenly appeared on camera to give a surprised Scruggs a hug.

"This means so much to me," Douglas, 16, said of Scruggs's comments. (Scruggs had just said of Gabby: "Her style is so sweet.)

"Keep staying strong," Douglas told her. "Keep smiling,"
    link

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    You can be sure that if a woman is in the spotlight, someone will bring up her appearance. No matter how great her achievements, how hard she works, it will happen.

Secretary of State? Never mind that, she looks awful! And besides, we like her husband better!

Previous secretary of State? She always looks mad! But hey guys, I'd "do her", wouldn't you?!

Former Attorney General? Hah, she looks like a man!

Olympic medalist? Who cares, her hair looks terrible!

Oscar-winning actress? We don't want to see her, she is too old now!

Disgusting. And yes, it is a form of bullying.
    Just hitting the "thanks" button wasn't enough to respond appropriately to this excellent post. You totally hit the proverbial nail on the head! Sad...
    "Sickness is a condition; evil is a behavior. And when we excuse pedophiles on grounds that they are sick, we allow them to prey on kids more."
    ~ Andrew Vachss

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GarAndTeed For This Useful Post:

I didn't hear about the hair. I am aware though that some 'talk show' host has been criticizing her for not being more 'patriotic' in her attire. Seems some folks think all our USA contestants should have the stars and stripes all over their outfits. Ridiculous..
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

exactly....who the hell was looking at her hair? shes a pretty girl and an incredible gymnast...jealous i guess gabby rocks!

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to resqx For This Useful Post:

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
    I didn't hear about the hair. I am aware though that some 'talk show' host has been criticizing her for not being more 'patriotic' in her attire. Seems some folks think all our USA contestants should have the stars and stripes all over their outfits. Ridiculous..
    Well, I am puzzled by whomever chose the pink leotards for Team USA, pretty as they were, I can at least understand a solid color- red, white, or blue...