Gabby Douglas...hip, hip, hooray!

Reality Orlando

Verified Aquaculturalist
Reaction score
I am so proud of Gabby "The Flying Squirrel" Douglas and her extraordinary accomplishments in the London Olympics! Gold in the gymnastics all around! Woo hoo!

At the same time I'm disgusted with all the "Tweets" putting down her hair. How sad that such a beautiful young lady with an incredible smile can accomplish so much after so many years, yet ESPN chooses to run with the story about her hair.

Sure, this isn't bullying as defined in Webster's, but I see bullying as anything that is said or done to put down someone and I think this sure qualifies. This young woman had to leave her family to live with another family in order to be able to train for years to get where she is. Her performance was beyond amazing...and all some folks can focus on is her hair?

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/espnw/story/_/id/8232063/espnw-gabby-douglas-hair-criticized-social-media-sites?ex_cid=2012_espw_ob

"It makes me absolutely sick to see these comments about Gabby's hair," said Swin Cash, the decorated Team USA forward who is in London for her third Olympics. "What sickens me more is that it's mostly people from our own community. She is a beautiful, talented young lady. I hope she ignores the ignorance because she's an Olympic gold medalist. Enough said."

Why did ESPN even need to bring that up? Sure they're bashing the bashing, but still it would have been better buried and her accomplishments heralded. I, too, hope she can look past all the stupidity and ignorance and relish the spotlight. The MSM gets more and more disgusting IMO.

Sheesh, what's wrong with her hair??? I think she's a cutie--and a very very talented girl. She shines out there!

I have TOTALLY fallen in love with her :woohoo: God Bless her.

I'm willing to bet most of America has. She is beautiful and it shines from the inside out. I'm even willing to bet most of us could care less about her hair.

I don't even watch the Olympics - just saw stories of her on the news.

She sure does shine-We love you Gabby!!!ESPN-You really need to get a grip!!!

You can be sure that if a woman is in the spotlight, someone will bring up her appearance. No matter how great her achievements, how hard she works, it will happen.

Secretary of State? Never mind that, she looks awful! And besides, we like her husband better!

Previous secretary of State? She always looks mad! But hey guys, I'd "do her", wouldn't you?!

Former Attorney General? Hah, she looks like a man!

Olympic medalist? Who cares, her hair looks terrible!

Oscar-winning actress? We don't want to see her, she is too old now!

Disgusting. And yes, it is a form of bullying. :twocents:

Why would this reporter write this crap and give those few insignificant jealous losers a platform - because she is lazy IMO and took the easy route for clicks.

More insulting is her passive aggressive approach, where she, as an African American woman, chose to give this silly matter attention by making it the main focus of her article. She should have never mentioned it, and as a sports writer and not a hair dresser, and simply wrote about Gabby's Gold Medal accomplishments and how Gabby will forever stand as an inspiration for young girls everywhere. No - she wrote about the very thing she chastised those few tweeters for doing. Shame on her.....

She's beautiful, and has the most radiant smile I've seen! My daughter has posters of Bethany Hamilton in her room and just asked last night if we could get some of Gabby too! (Absolutely!)

I have the one of her in the air over the balance beam as my screen saver. I'm in awe of talent like that and I think shes' amazing!

I didn't even notice her hair..all I saw was a beautiful, talented young lady with a million $ smile. Gabby is AWESOME!!

HER HAIR?????!

Stupid, ignorant ESPN.........what a joke you are!

She's adorable and her hair looks fine! She just won a gold medal!

This just shows you.........insecure people always want to find fault and imperfection with a winner. It makes them feel better somehow.

Aside from the most obvious fact that it takes away from her accomplishments, and breaking through a color barrier, the most ridiculous argument about her hair is because most athletes- gymnasts, swimmers, racers, dancers, etc... wear their hair pulled back in ponytails or buns so that their hair isn't getting in their face while they're performing. Gabby Douglas is beautiful no matter how she wears her hair, and her smile is award winning!!!

Why is her hair an issue. Isn't a gymnast air suppose to be like that as they perform.

Why is her hair an issue. Isn't a gymnast air suppose to be like that as they perform.
Yes, they usually have it in buns or pony tails so it doesn't get in their face while they are performing. My daughter's ballet teacher required buns for dance class.

Yes, they usually have it in buns or pony tails so it doesn't get in their face while they are performing. My daughter's ballet teacher required buns for dance class.
My DD's dance teacher also requires hair pulled back. She says you are not "serious" about dance unless your hair is pulled back. How could someone do gymnastics with their hair flying around?

No spoiler, I promise, for those of you who have yet to see Gabby compete in the Individual Uneven Bars competition. Douglas wears a spectacular silver metallic leotard!

Like what's important about a gold medalist is her HAIR?

I keep hearing about this and, for the life of me, I still can't figure out what's wrong with her hair. And now that she's made American sports history, why are we even looking?

Gabby & fellow inspiration Lauren Scruggs got to meet each other. :)

The interview took place in London's Olympic Village, where Scruggs said she was taking strength from the Games and the perseverance of the athletes. Asked to single out a particular Olympian, Scurggs mentioned all-around gold-medal gymnast Gabby Douglas – who suddenly appeared on camera to give a surprised Scruggs a hug.

"This means so much to me," Douglas, 16, said of Scruggs's comments. (Scruggs had just said of Gabby: "Her style is so sweet.)

"Keep staying strong," Douglas told her. "Keep smiling,"

link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46